News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid - Swamp Thing V1.1

Started by kid1293, June 21, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

I don't mean 'no rain', only 'less rain' so you can see the map.
I agree. This time it is almost immersion up to your ears.  :D

brads3

why did you break KID's mod? surprised you gathered that many berries.did you find a very fertile dry spot? the rain mod does make it easier to see so you can "work" during the rain seasons. it might not stop it all depending on how KID modded it. i do get rain and thunder from the north mod at times.but the fog is not as thick.

i never understood trading firewood.why trade away something you need? but maybe it is cause i kow how hard the work is to cut it.

Abandoned

Swamps are hot, humid, and rainy, the terrain is marshy and soggy as described in Summerset Swamp. The amount of rain was not changed for this mod, the swamp climate setting is for no snow. There would be no snow in the swamp. Most trees would not grow well, there would be no pine trees, most foods would not grow, roots and onions would rot.   The swamp climate and terrain are typical for the swamp.  The challenge is to survive in the difficult swamp conditions, it is a hard setting.  Trader will bring no seeds and livestock.

@Nilla the mossy swamp houses would look good in a forest setting using regular vanilla terrain and climates, you would have snow and regular trees.  The swamp is good as is. 

Tom Sawyer

From what I know, extensive lake- and marshlands are a main type of landscape in Scandinavia, Russia and Canada. Boreal regions are swampy in general with humid climate and so on. But I think a native speaker (especially from the US) considers a swamp as tropical wetland like the Everglades, while the northern thing is called "bog". Is that right?

I like this idea of creating a swamp theme including special environment and matching content. We should make more such thematic mods. :)

Abandoned

This swamp themed mod was made by Kid especially for my Summerset Swamp story and swamp region of my world map.  We tried to make it versatile for more wide scale use and variety.  It matches Kid's gothic farms and looks well in other setting as well.

We have more themed mods in mind.  :-X  :)

Willows

Swamps and bogs are pretty much the same thing, just different names in different parts of the world. They are also called "fens" in some places. I usually name my swampy towns something like "The Fens" or some such.
Lifetime Goal: To be the Neighborhood Crazy Cat Lady.

Anyone play and/or mod RCT3? Please pm me! :)

Currently playing RCT3. Send me a pm if needed, I check in daily.

Nilla

It seems like I started some discussion here without meaning to........ ;) :-\

I agree with everyone, that these kind of themed mods are very nice. I like more of them, too. But it would be a pity, if I couldn't play this one with a proper winter. That's all I want. I don't understand, what you mean @brads3 when you say; I'm braking Kid's mod. I'm not! I don't want to brake anything, especially not this nice mod! But I agree, selling firewood is weird. But in vanilla Banished the most profitable product to export. I did no export of firewood in my first attempt and will not in my next either.

The first football game today is just done and the second hasn't started yet, so I have some time, to take a look around in "Swamp land". :)

This start looks cold enough for me: Even if it doesn't snow yet @Abandoned, it's not hot, humid and rainy either. I'm glad Kid, that you made it possible to have it this way, too. The map also look nice, so this one will be a keeper. I may even start a new blog.

brads3

why you punishing them bannies? they will leave,nobody sane will live there in that bitter cold. it isn't normal to have that much food gathered by 1 person especially in the mud. and you say i play weird. ::)

kid1293

Nothing is broken. :)

The mod is just an attempt to make something different. It grew larger than I first thought.
@brads - not all places are the same. I have my opinion of what is possible without too much
trouble for me. It is a nice diversion. Not meant to be compatible with... you name it.

SO, it is a big, small mod and a happy one, I hope, despite the weather. :)

Nilla

It's a happy mod, because of the wheather. Everyone can have it the way they want! And yes; it snows! ;)

brads3

kid1293

Quote from: Nilla on June 30, 2018, 11:01:34 AM
It's a happy mod, because of the wheather. Everyone can have it the way they want! And yes; it snows! ;)

Speaking like a true Nord.  :)

galensgranny

Swamps and bogs are very different and the words are not interchangeable.  They describe very different ecosystems. 

Swamps are like a flooded forest, where the water flows into a river or stream.  Some swamps have shrubs instead of trees.  A variety of wildlife live in swamps.  As Tom mentions, The Everglades, in Florida, USA, is a swamp.  Swamps are mostly found in warm climates, but there are some in Canada, so they would get snow, the way Nilla prefers  ;) .  Here is a picture of a swamp:http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/images/biomes/Baldcypressswamp-southernIllinois.JPG

The water in a bog is stagnant, not flowing into another body of water, and it is composed of acidic plant matter such as peat and mosses.  It is spongy, only maybe solid enough to walk on in some areas in some bogs. It gets its water from rain or snow.  In the US, cranberries grow well in bogs.  Here is a picture of a bog:  http://www.nhptv.org/wild/images/bogusfwstevehillebrand.jpg

A fen is not another word for swamp. A fen is similar to a bog.  Fens are not as acidic as bogs so have different kinds of plants, such as various grasses and reeds.  Fens get the water from ground water, which is different from bogs which get water from rain. 

Basically, swamps have flowing water, while bogs and fens do not.

RedKetchup

very interesant ! thanks you !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .