Main Menu

Random questions about gameplay and game mechanics

Started by Gatherer, September 30, 2018, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

CathyM

I just want to THANK YOU ALL for the amazing work you've done, both on making new mods and answering questions for newbies like me!  ;D I got hooked last year, then got frustrated (because I didn't know about these forums) and gave up for about six months, and now I'm hooked again.  ;D I love many of the mods I've downloaded, though I have a very old desktop and after adding about 4 mods, the game has slowed to about 1x, even when I have it on 10x! I've just gotten into habit of doing dishes or other small tasks while the game takes its sweet time.

I do have one question: why can't I get the "Split" button in the Pasture to work? I have the max. number of animals, would like to split to two pastures, have an empty pasture... but the button stays dark, unavailable. If I lower the slider number, that just slaughtered the animals... what is the Split secret?

Abandoned

@CathyM To Split the pasture animals there must be 10 animals or more in the pasture.  An 8'x8' pasture holds 10 chickens, 10 sheep need 160 sq ft pasture (10x16) and 10 cows need 200 sq ft (10x20).

Big mods like CC and RKEC will slow down old desktop, you will not want to use them together, RKEC has a light version if used alone may work better.  I group of small mods at a time may work best for you.  :)

Nilla

@CathyM, there are a few other "tricks" or help, to make the game a bit faster. My old computer wasn´t very good, I even had issues with an unmodded game, so I´ve learned some ways. First, use small maps, there´s a big difference in speed between a big and a small map. There´s also an old mod, that takes away the smoke. It speeds things up as well. I also do agree with @Abandoned, to use a group of smaller mods, rather than these big ones.

CathyM

Thanks, Abandoned and Nilla! I hadn't realized the split only worked on 10 plus - wouldn't ya know I've only had space for 9 of something.  :-\ And thanks for the hint about the small map - I'm so greedy, I go for the huge maps (in Civ, I need all that space to stay away from enemies  ;) ) but of course I'm not using that space.... I'll try it again on small...

CathyM

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I don't want to use up a stock of stones just making nicer roads, so do stone roads need stone to create?

Also, is there any way to get the builders NOT to all go for the roads FIRST? I want to mark where a road goes, so I don't build on it, but as soon as I put the dirt road, ALL the builders run over and work on it...  ::)

Thanks in advance! This newbie is really grateful you're here.

RedKetchup

to get nice roads , you need stone (or bricks in certain mods).

the job of a builder is to build something. they need buildings to build :) thats the only way to occupy them :)
they will switch to road if anything else.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

the road issue is mod related. what main mod do you use? my builders did roads last unless they are waiting for materials.  seems with CC the builders did have a priority to do  roads.

CathyM

This "road priority" seems to be happening both on the plain vanilla game and the tiny medieval town mod... ALL the builders run to whatever road I've just outlined, no matter what other buildings are waiting. I did notice it happened to at least one of the YouTube video players - he didn't comment on it, but it seemed to also be true - roads FIRST, then whatever... I've been playing a couple hours daily for the past week, and it's consistent. Even when I try the Priority button and highlight a building...

CathyM

Hmmm... these builders seem to have minds of their own  :-[ Another issue I'm having is that they will build the building IN town before the one in the boonies, even if I mark the outer one Priority, and EVEN IF I have assigned 0 workers!! Really! I've got a photo of a builder just about finished a house that is marked 0 of 2 Builders. So the Priority thing only works intermittently, and I have to pause any in-town building if I want something in the hunter complex built.

I've seen this in the basic, no-mod game and also in the current one (tiny medieval, more fish, more rock, more venison - okay, I'm a wimp  ;) )

RedKetchup

CathyM

I'm really pleased that I've gotten my town up to about 250 bannies! I know that's not much, and I'm cheating with the extra resources mods, but I'm doing that so I can learn the ins and outs w/o major disasters... anyway, I'm still seeing weird visual glitches that make me wonder if they are JUST visual. EX: I saw a laborer drop a keg of ale on a building site - did the keg vanish?? Did I lose a keg to that crazy worker?? And I'm getting lots of similar visuals - picking up resources, then dropping them in the middle of nowhere, and apparently that batch is lost, because no storage is augmented with that - sometimes stone or wood, sometimes crops... is this a known bug? It's happening in the vanilla version, and with several combinations of mods. I have Windows 8, in case that helps to know. It's just really frustrating to try and "manage" a town where things seem to be vanishing into air.

Nilla

I´m pretty sure, that these "dropped" items eventually will be picked up by someone else. Does this happen often to you? As far as I´ve seen, it´s pretty rare. It happens but is not the "normal" Banni behaviour. (Is there a normal Banni behaviour? :-\ ;) ) More common is that they carry around something, you really need "forever" across the map, doing lots of other things before they finally decide to put it on the right place.

RedKetchup

bannies can have many things in their inventory. the game will only show you 1 item graphically. and it is not always the most pertinent one.

CathyM

It happens to me constantly!! And they are definitely dropping off, not just picking up. I've seen the picking up and that there are diverse items but only one showing. I've had my inventory open and watched all the surrounding storage units and watched that worker... the stuff just disappears. I'm starting to think it's a bug because I'm also getting erroneous amounts listed on my overview screen - the Town Hall says I have no leather, but Overview says 219! So it's getting really hard to plan for things and know what I have... that part is frustrating... and now a new glitch- the Hunter cabin is reporting Stone picked up(?) and Tavern is reporting Ale and Eggs (!?)... so the inventory function seems to be getting messed up by some mod. I'd added New Flora, and Grouse (Tanypredator) and the grouse mod caused my extra Hunter mod to stop, even when Hunter is at the top - the deer are still there in obscene numbers, but the hunters just hunt game - which destroys my leather coat and venison exporting - I dropped that in my latest game and the hunter extra came back just fine... but no matter which combo of mods or none, I'm still having the vanishing inventory issue. The "extras on overview" issue seems to be one of the mods - I didn't have it on plain vanilla game... I hope any of this makes sense - I'm such a newbie that I don't exactly know how to phrase things. But I sure am enjoying all these fun mods!! And the extra food allows me to learn the dynamics of the game w/o all the deaths, which break my heart.  :-\