News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #1: Most People Inside a Market Radius

Started by solarscreen, May 30, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Dang! I misread the instructions (Not like that's anything new!) and now I have to go back and evict some people whose houses stick outside the circle a bit. Maybe I'm taking the slumlord thing too literally.

As I look at a market circle with planned houses crammed together in unbroken lines I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn to be a mega-trader just to feed them all, not to mention get enough logs, stone and iron to keep the place going.

slink

Well, it's certainly easier to build the houses first and the market later, even though the instructions say "ALL people MUST live inside the market radius" and you can't have a market radius without a market.  So be it.   :D

If I fill my market radius completely with houses, that will be the entire colony in one spot.  It may collapse and form a black hole.   :o  I wonder that the limit is for how fast vendors can move food into a market.

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on May 31, 2014, 03:06:54 PM
Well, it's certainly easier to build the houses first and the market later, even though the instructions say "ALL people MUST live inside the market radius" and you can't have a market radius without a market.  So be it.   :D

If I fill my market radius completely with houses, that will be the entire colony in one spot.  It may collapse and form a black hole.   :o  I wonder that the limit is for how fast vendors can move food into a market.

A market radius CAN exist without actually building the market. ;)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

Quote from: solarscreen on May 31, 2014, 05:55:48 PM
Quote from: slink on May 31, 2014, 03:06:54 PM

A market radius CAN exist without actually building the market. ;)

Not exactly.  A potential market radius can exist without actually building the market.   :D

solarscreen

Don't make Grumpy Cat come back in here!

LOL

Just build it!

;D

slink

Yessir!  Building now.  I calculate that I can build 284 houses inside the market radius.  At an average of three people per house, that is 852 people.  Eek!

solarscreen

I hope somebody is going to challenge me on this one!  @nmid could crush this one but I know there are others out there that just need a push to give it a go and you could give him a run for the money!

Come On!  Here's what I have going right now and I put LOTS of space between my houses so I know somebody can do better!

rkelly17

@solarscreen, no need for Grumpy Cat. @slink is just laying a little Aristotle on us. @slink, don't forget that potential is even more powerful than actual--in which case the potential market circle is even better than an actual market circle!  ;)

Kaldir

Quote from: slink on May 31, 2014, 08:03:19 PM
I calculate that I can build 284 houses inside the market radius.  At an average of three people per house, that is 852 people.  Eek!

On a challenge, one should not aim for average.  :P

salamander

mariesalias

Okay, first thing I did was place the market and figure out where my first food source would come from. I started on medium so I'd have some seeds (but then forgot I had them for awhile :D).  Barn placement was not ideal.

I built the market by year 5 and about 10 years later, remembered I had seeds. Graveyard built in year 7 and first trade port built at the end of year 9. So strange building mostly from the outside in towards the market!

Finally finished laying out a road completely around my market radius; mostly so I can close the market window and not worry about building too far out. I end up re-doing the layout inside multiple times though. My goal is to try to get the town as self-sufficient as possible, at least until it becomes not viable any more.

I am really feeling the laborers and builders not wanting to work too far from the circle. Some buildings, like the graveyard, took almost two years to get built. Repeated uneven gender balances have been proving a challenge to grow the town as I want to. I'm enjoying this challenge on a few different levels; thanks for coming up with it @solarscreen. :)

ETA: Sorry for all the UI creep, I'll try to remember to close everything, as my game refuses to take the screenshots without the UI.

solarscreen

Nice work there @mariesalias !  I really need to get my log production up so I can open my port and start trading.

Unfortunately, I have a river that runs right through my market radius and the ONLY place the trade depot would fit on that river was inside the radius!  I could have put a few more houses there.

I don't know why I'm hindering myself with this map...

;)

slink

Here is what I have so far.  Only 5 more days to build.  *pant pant*  *grin*

But no fair!  We got our new tractor yesterday, complete with a new brush cutter, a finish mower, and a front end loader.  *bouncing*

Kaldir

Nice to see those progression pictures. I'm looking forward to see what you all end up with.

Quote from: mariesalias on June 01, 2014, 04:59:06 AM
ETA: Sorry for all the UI creep, I'll try to remember to close everything, as my game refuses to take the screenshots without the UI.
@mariesalias: Try assigning different hotkeys to both screen capture functions. The original keys don't work for me either, but I assigned F10 and F11 to it (not F12 as that is Steam's screencapture key), and that is working fine for me. Now if only I could remember which of the two did what...

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on June 01, 2014, 08:09:57 AM
Here is what I have so far.  Only 5 more days to build.  *pant pant*  *grin*

But no fair!  We got our new tractor yesterday, complete with a new brush cutter, a finish mower, and a front end loader.  *bouncing*

Nice!  A new tractor sounds like way more fun!