News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Ultimate Challenge: 5,000 Citizens

Started by solarscreen, August 13, 2014, 09:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

I always build my PCs myself, so I installed it myself. It's pretty easy, but it helps to know what you're doing as there are cables to connect and slots to put the hardware into. The GPU is pretty easy, but your motherboard must be able to support it. Modern GPUs can be pretty draining on the power as well, so you need a power supply that can handle it. So it depends on what rig you have really. For these new cards, you need a PCI-E x16 slot, which is bigger than the other PCI slots. The card itself is fairly large as well, so you need the physical room for it.

This probably didn't help much and it sounds more difficult than it is, but there are some things you need to keep in mind before purchasing such a card. Not fun to fork out the money and then find out you can't use it (without other upgrades).

irrelevant

slink

RedKetchup

mine is the 34th best GTX480 which shouldnt be too shady, at 2200 i still can play 2x but ... on the edge. at 2700 it s 1x all the way, 2x is same as 1x
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

My sense is that Banished is not so hard on the GPU but doesn't make ideal use of the CPU or RAM. I could be wrong, of course.

irrelevant

Pangaea

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 09, 2014, 11:27:58 AM
My sense is that Banished is not so hard on the GPU but doesn't make ideal use of the CPU or RAM. I could be wrong, of course.

Could be, but in any case, I would think that at least in an unmodded state the game will be pretty efficient due to the background of Luke, the programmer. Huge towns will take its toll no matter what, though.

slink

I think we far exceeded Luke's expectations on the size of colonies.  Look at the accomplishments - they top out at 200 citizens.   ;D

solarscreen

Quote from: irrelevant on October 09, 2014, 08:45:13 AM
@Pangaea Did you install the card yourself or did your machine come with it already installed? Any snags/issues? Maybe I should look into an upgrade. I know nothing about hardware.

I don't think @irrelevant needs to update his video card for Banished if he is able to support 6,000 plus people.  It seems to be very obvious this game is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive if he did all that with an Intel HD 4600 onboard chipset. 
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Pangaea

Quote from: solarscreen on October 09, 2014, 03:00:11 PM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 09, 2014, 08:45:13 AM
@Pangaea Did you install the card yourself or did your machine come with it already installed? Any snags/issues? Maybe I should look into an upgrade. I know nothing about hardware.

I don't think @irrelevant needs to update his video card for Banished if he is able to support 6,000 plus people.  It seems to be very obvious this game is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive if he did all that with an Intel HD 4600 onboard chipset.

Yeah, I agree with that actually. It doesn't seem very heavy on the graphics card, but more on CPU, and perhaps memory. Such huge cities put a real strain on things though, no matter what. Doubt Luke expected cities of 5-6000 people when the top population achievement is 900 :D

slink

Duh, I don't know what I was thinking when I said 200.   :-[

mariesalias

irrelevant

Trizeropz

is it still possible to participate in the challenge?:D

this is my 2nd try of a big city. first time with woodcutter economy. 2500 pop at the moment and lots of space left on the map.would love to try 5000+

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .