News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Not Exactly a Challenge

Started by rkelly17, May 15, 2014, 07:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

So here's an idea. I always enjoy seeing how other people plan and build their towns. Each of us has our own approach and some of us use radically different approaches from one another. I like to look the towns who have similar styles to my own for good ideas to incorporate, but also approaches to the game that push me to try completely new things.

The idea is this: Choose a map seed and starting conditions and then each person who wants to participate can build a settlement any way she or he chooses. Then we each post some pictures and stats from Summer of years 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 and 50 (I'm suggesting Summer because the trees will be full and there is a chance of a non-rainy  day). If everyone is still having a good time we could go on further or we could end it there.

If anyone likes this idea, suggest a seed. I'm thinking large valleys, mild climate, disasters off and hard, but am open to other ideas.

mariesalias

I would enjoy participating and seeing how others developed their towns! I don't have any suggestions for a seed. I tend to randomly pick one or randomly pick one from the map seed thread.

ivorymalinov

I'm interested in having a go at this! Compared to most Banished players on the forums I really suck at city planning; which should provide entertainment for the masses.  :P

rkelly17

I know what you mean, @ivorymalinov. My planning is often of the "OMG! I need a farm now! Where can I put it?" variety.

mariesalias

I try to plan out certain aspects, like where forestry hubs, markets, and trade ports will go. I do like to try to plan out my town... but I always end up later changing things around, usually because of poor planning, terrain surprises, not anticipating something I would need, or simply getting distracted. I don't see my plans as plans so much as guides.  ;D

slink

I am interested.  Someone pick a seed.   :)

ivorymalinov

Ok, I've picked a map. Here's the details if anyone wants to join in.

:)

slink

I'm in.  I have to start my bread rising, make breakfast, and move a blanket from the washer to the dryer first, but I'm in.

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on May 17, 2014, 05:56:11 AM
...I have to start my bread rising, make breakfast, and move a blanket from the washer to the dryer first,...

LOL

Tell us a story @slink, please?  :)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

Hmmm.  I prefer Medium to Hard.  You get Potato and Bean seeds, and Chestnuts.  Hard just gets you a bunch of ignoramuses living on fish and gathered stuff.

Oh, and I forgot I had to clean the litter pans, after which I walked but only 50 minutes because I played 20 minutes in between times.  I'm sipping some cheap red wine now.  *happy smile*  So sad that these folks have no grapes, and thus, no wine.

A story ... let me see about that.  With chestnuts and a mild climate they could eschew meat.  Well, there's fish.  Okay, warm-blooded meat.  Or maybe all meat.  I have to see how it works out.

Once upon a time, ten adults and ten children awoke on a river bank and wondered how they had arrived at this place.  There was a barn and a stockpile, and nothing else for miles and miles except trees, rocks, and outcroppings of iron.  And a river, of course.  Never forget there was a river.

When they awoke, it was Early Spring.  Birds were singing in the trees, and music was playing.  That was normal, of course, for colonies from the mother planet, but what was not normal was the four sacks bearing a note which said: "Eat meat or die, potato suckers."  One sack held chestnuts, the second held beans, and the other two held potatoes.  There was no livestock, nor fishing rods.  There wasn't even a diagram of a fishing rod!  Only tools for farming, and the other miscellaneous occupations of vegetarian living.  Somehow, they had been detected.

Immediately the group sprang into action.  The sack of beans, and one sack of potatoes, was used to plant fields.  A school was soon built, to educate the youngsters not to eat meat.  After the school was built, everyone looked around and noticed that the children were too young for school.  With some sheepishness, they then began to build houses.

After four houses were built, which was not quite enough for everyone, someone suggested they start gathering wood and edible produce.  By Summer they had begun a Forester's Lodge and a Gatherer's Hut in the valley to the north.  The first child in the new colony was born in Summer.  The birth was touch-and-go, but in the end a sound child was born.  Later, the first child who had arrived with them was old enough for schooling, and four of the colonists began cutting logs or collecting edible produce.

And then chili arrived from the kitchen, and so the story paused.  Today is my husband's day to cook and he has made chili from grass-fed beef, green beans, and canned tomato puree.  It smells delicious.  *drool*  Tomorrow I cook red kidney beans, thickened this time with boiled small-red-bean flour, and we get ice cream for desert!  *even more drooling*

rkelly17

Thank you for being decisive @ivorymalinov. As I read it the seed is 6934, Large Valleys, Mild, Disasters Off, Hard. Away we go.

@slink, anyone who did not drop what she is doing immediately for chilli is quite daft. I'm glad to see evidence of your sanity. We could, of course, have a major battle over how exactly one ought to make the best chilli and what, exactly, green beans might be doing in the pot, but I won't go there.

slink

Or Medium, if one prefers.

Green beans were in the Very Good Chili because they supply fiber and valuable nutrients, without too much starch.  Bean Soup Sunday is a leftover from when we were short of money and that was the only day when we ate until we were completely full.  It comes every other Sunday, so twice a month, and in various flavors.  Chili made with green beans, on the other hand, can come every other day now if my husband so chose, which he doesn't.   :)

solarscreen

I love chili!

My recipe is:

1 jar Goya brand Sofrito - since I'm too lazy to make a fresh sauce
1 quart of tomato sauce
1 quart of diced tomatoes
1 quart of stewed tomatoes
1/2 quart of light red kidney beans
1/2 quart of dark red kidney beans
3 lbs of pan seared and shredded chicken
1 lb of sweet italian sausage
3 tbsp chipotle chili powder

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

That sounds very tasty, @solarscreen.   :)

Here's my 5-year screenshots, on Medium.  I hope that by eliminating all meat from their diet, and also leather from their possession, that my colony is has been made acceptable for the challenge.

Overall:

In the summer of the fifth year of their banishment, the little tribe of vegetarians was 34 strong.  They had 12 couples, one of which had the only student for the wife, and they once again had ten children.  They grew beans, lots of beans.  They grew some potatoes, too, and the chestnut trees were finally beginning to bear their tasty nuts.  They gathered mushrooms, onions, berries, and wild roots of some kind.  None of these seemed harmful.  Their health was not very good, but recently they had built an Herbalist's Hut.  They hoped the books were correct about the herbs.  They had also built a large cemetery just in case.  Their only source of aggravation was a berm to the north of the settlement.  It was too low for a tunnel and too high for a road, so they had to hike over it to the northern valley.

The chestnut orchard, and one of the bean fields.

The main town, with one large bean field and a smaller field of potatoes.

The berm between the northern valley and the main town.

The herbalist, located just south of the cemetery.

The view towards the river, from the western side of town.

ivorymalinov

@slink, how did you get the images to show full size?