Main Menu

Accepting nomads & citizens stranded

Started by Jewels8, March 31, 2018, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Jewels8

I tend to believe that I just have had a few bad maps lately, the fact that it happened one town after another, my thoughts were..it's gotta be a bug! I do vary my start conditions and it happens regardless. The nomads would appear at the nomad well, signpost or town hall, I go ahead and accept them and they go about they're way, I watch them firstly grab food clothes tools etc from the market and let them do they're thing as I move my focus away for a moment to assign building new homes for them, it's then that the alert comes up, It's an immediate pause game here, locate my people, build bridges and watch them scuttle home..and all is right again :) Yay
Thanks everyone who shared their thoughts and suggestions, some of you have yet to have this happen and others know what I am talking about! It feels good to rescue them though, one minute they are accepted into the town and feeling like they belong and the next minute they appear in far faraway place..wondering how did they get there..poor bannies gotta love them! :) 

Paegin

Well, Kid, I use your nomad sign. And if I don't build bridges, it could happen.

kid1293

Alitoni

Oh wow, I recently had this happen several times during a play through, and came here looking for help. My nomads arrive and, like OP, I tend to their needs then go about doing other things. Shortly after, I receive the notifications, and when I find them they are at the edge of the map in an area that's unreachable (teleported maybe?). I use RK's lighthouse (NMT 3.0) as a townhall, which I've used a plenty and have not had any issues.

I notice the only mods I have in common with OP are Increased CC and Ridiculous storage, and somehow I don't see how this can affect the nomads in such a way.

brads3

as soon as you accept the, hit play then pause. the nomads will show as homless,click the homeless icon, will take you to where they are gathered.
i usually save the game when nomads show up before accepting them. then if they do happen to be lost you have a safety to solve the issue. or in case buildings don't get done gast enough, food was lower than you thought,etc. it is a good time for the save point. if you don't see them do the 
  "helicopter" celebration by the nomad catcher,then they are lost.

from what i remember reading,where the nomads enter the map is connected to placements of townhalls,trade posts,and some modden units. modded units may include RED's lighthouse<i do think he did a fix or solution in newer versions> castles,possably some markets.how it works is hard coded into the game.

Nilla

Quote from: Alitoni on April 04, 2018, 05:46:38 PM
Oh wow, I recently had this happen several times during a play through, and came here looking for help. My nomads arrive and, like OP, I tend to their needs then go about doing other things. Shortly after,.............

Just a question; you say, you "tend to their needs". Does this mean, that they have been in your village, have tools and clothing, when they "disappear" in the corner? This happened to me in my last game. The same however happened also to some citizens, before I've taken any nomads at all. I think this is a bugged map, so I started a new game.

In some games, you take nomads as usual; they become citizens but never appear in the village. You can see, that they actually never were in the village, they have no tools and clothing, when they die. They simply can't find a way. If you build bridges to that spot, the next "batch" will arrive alright. And you can play as usual.

You can compare my screenshot with the one from @Jewels8: Two different "bugs". If it looks like on my screenshot, I can only advice to start a new game. (or maybe @RedKetchup finds out something clever after looking at my save)

Alitoni

"Tend to their needs" = there is already a hostel/boarding house etc in place, queuing up houses to be built, and ensuring there are enough builders to build them, there is plenty of food to go around (I normally have an abundance of food before allowing nomads), an abundance of tools, and so forth.

Unfortunately, I've already deleted the save and have moved on to a new map/game. I will use the lighthouse again to see if this happens again; although, as I mentioned before, I've used it other times and have not had this happen. I think it just may be bad maps, however, I find it odd that my nomads ended up in the exact same spot, pretty much off the map, and in an area that appeared inaccessible.

Nilla

If it's the "normal bug"; it's not that weird; that's where they come from and the path to the village is blocked with rivers or streams. The weird thing is, that they ask to be citizens, before they actually are there. I guess the program count a time between appearing on the map and asking. You can sometimes see the nomads a long time around the townhall, before the request comes. In that case, I guess they come from a spot close to the village.

If it's this kind of "bug", you can have it with other nomad attractors as well, not only the lighthouse. I also prefere the lighthouse, if I have that mod loaded, really nice looking.

RedKetchup

the best always is when you are rdy and plan to get nomads and accept them when you will have the alert, is , always look around and build their bridges so they can get to you. it always been from day 1 of this game.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

With regards to accepting nomads, I have been known to accept a lot of nomads especially early in the game since I use the 1:1 aging mod.  I will use one of the mods that attract nomads like Kid's nomad well or sign.  If I do not get nomads the following year or two I know I need a bridge across the river or stream.  On a small map this is not much of a problem, and nomad arrival is solved.

I have not had a problem with citizens being stranded but in story #20 Cedar Creek I had a strange parade of citizens.  Somehow a hunter killed a deer outside of hunting range and across the creek.  Before I notice the venison and hide I saw citizens on the other side of that creek.  The laborers traveled far up the creek to one small spot they could cross, then all the way back on the other side to the meat & hide.  They were cold and starving, I thought I would lose them.  Even though I quickly built a small bridge across the creek they did not use it to return to this side but went back the same way they had come.  They did all survive but other work was neglected. 

Nilla

That's a very typical thing you describes @Abandoned. Better look close, if you put "action circles" close to rivers and streams.(unless there's a close bridge) It can also happen, if you accidentally mark one tree, or rock on the wrong side of the river. Somehow one or two Bannis manage to get there but can't get back and starve/freeze to death.

Abandoned

@Nilla , What I thought was strange was that all or almost all of the labors went to get that meat and hide which I did not see at first.  The hunter's range was very close to that creek but not on the other side and I did not recall having seen any deer in that location.  I will remember to watch that in the future.  :)