News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banished Forum Hosting - I can't reply in the other thread.

Started by theonlywanderer, December 02, 2020, 03:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfactial

Great to see there is hope for the site. I am of not much help but wish you all the best of luck and will keep an eye out in case of a move.
All the best.<3

catty-cb

Quote from: banishedsanni on December 06, 2020, 11:03:19 AM
Im willing to take worldofbanished over.

That's really great news, while I can't currently volunteer to help as I have already committed to uploading the SC3000 City Exchange currently only exists in the Wayback Archive as the site died and there are about 1000 files still in it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20191229025626/http://www.sc3000.com/cities/

over to here  https://community.simtropolis.com/clubs/36-simcity-3000-resource-page/

Once I'm done, I would be happy to help, in New Zealand so could cover other moderator's nighttime .... not sure if you are going to set up a donation box, if you do would be happy to add something towards the site costs.

Something to consider used to be a longterm member of another site called SimPeg and when its owner decided to move on a group of us where able to keep the site going for a few years as the bills were all being paid out of a PayPal account so as long as we kept that topped up things were ok, unfortunately we weren't aware that didn't include a site backup plan in the event of disasters ... so when disaster did strike there wasn't anything that could be done to restore the site.

Goblin Girl

I'm willing to help with moderation!  I'm in the Eastern time zone (GMT -5)

If you set up a PayPal account to cover expenses, I can drop a little bit of money in there from time to time.  I'd rather spend more to get a backup service included than to risk losing everything, but of course that's a group decision.

kid1293

I keep an eye here many hours of the day. I can send an e-mail to the moderator if things go south.
Keeping an account for a back-up plan is a good idea. I think many are willing to donate.
If I feel okay and have my health, I will keep the mods coming. I will do what I can to fulfill requests.

catty-cb

Quote from: Goblin Girl on December 07, 2020, 07:43:37 AM
I'm willing to help with moderation!  I'm in the Eastern time zone (GMT -5)

If you set up a PayPal account to cover expenses, I can drop a little bit of money in there from time to time.  I'd rather spend more to get a backup service included than to risk losing everything....

Yes having a PayPal account is a good idea and it means that not everything is on @banishedsanni when it comes to paying for site costs, but backup service while its quite handy to have and my site certainly had one, but that's more because I tend to assume the worse is likely to happen and plan accordingly, doesn't need to be quite so formal as long as someone was regularly downloading a backup file of the site and I'm assuming most hosting companies have something in place to allow you to do this and a backup copy of the site was being stored somewhere and the WOB site administrators and moderators had that information ... that's probably all that would be needed.

banishedsanni

Talked with The Big Chihuahua and we agreed that nothing will be happening before january, so there is time to enjoy the holidays.

Thanks to all that offer their help!
When the time comes, in january, i will ask for those willing to take over tasks again.

Till then all of you have a merry christmas and a happy new year!

banishedsanni

The webhosting service I would pay already contains a backup service with automated backupping (right word?) of all content and always provides the last 3 backups made.

Abandoned

Quote from: banishedsanni on December 08, 2020, 02:32:13 AM
Talked with The Big Chihuahua and we agreed that nothing will be happening before january, so there is time to enjoy the holidays.

:) Wonderful news.  :)  I was concerned for Christmas story timing.  Thank you so much @banishedsanni  for saving WOB from banishment.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both you and @The Big Chihuahua

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on December 07, 2020, 08:27:47 AM
I keep an eye here many hours of the day. I can send an e-mail to the moderator if things go south.
Keeping an account for a back-up plan is a good idea. I think many are willing to donate.
If I feel okay and have my health, I will keep the mods coming. I will do what I can to fulfill requests.
Glad to hear that you will keep the mods coming as you can, Kid, and that you will keep an eye out on the forum to spot any problems.  Actually, all the regulars should do a quick scan of new posts when come on to note if any need reporting.

Kristahfer

I really like the idea of using PayPal to help with the finances. Unfortunately, financial is the only assistance I am able to assist with. I work at an Adult Day Care center that specializes in Dementia care. It is very rewarding to be able to do so. Sometimes the clients are younger than my 75 years, which is really heart wrenching. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that not only affects the individual but also their loved ones, some day I hope we can reduce the damage is causes.

Count me in on the financial support.

Kristahfer

Abandoned

Quote from: banishedsanni on December 08, 2020, 02:32:13 AM

@banishedsanni   Happy New Year.  I am wondering if this forum hosting changeover will result in the forum being shut down for any length of time.  If so, any idea for how long?

banishedsanni

I cant tell yet. I will inform you if that will be the case : )

Abandoned

banishedsanni

we didnt even start the taking over yet - its 3. january... just slided into the new year ;D