News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Colonial Charter Site Not Accessable

Started by Kristahfer, November 09, 2016, 07:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristahfer

Last two days I have been unable to access the Colonial Charter site.

According to what I have found the domain has expired.

Does anyone have any information on the status of this site?

Paeng

yeah, I just saw a note on Reddit - apparently they are moving the site to a new provider...

Caught me by surprise same as every body else...  :-X
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

TheOtherMicheal

In something of a coincidence, I just checked the Colonial Charter site and found the domain had expired and was for sale so i was going to post something here and ask if anyone knew what was happening.
So thanks for the info Paeng, I had seriously considered buying the domain for a year and giving it to the CC team so that nobody else could grab it and try to screw money out of them. If they're moving CC to another provider then I don't need to be concerned about the old domain - glad I checked here first! :)

Paeng

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on November 12, 2016, 07:25:06 PMso that nobody else could grab it

That's good thinking  :)

I have no idea what's behind all this... maybe the account did expire and made the sudden move unavoidable... else I would have expected a little advance notice to the users...  ???

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Kimbolton

I agree. The lack of any advanced notice to the community was strange and a bit worrisome.

catty-cb

Quote from: Kimbolton on November 13, 2016, 01:40:14 PM
I agree. The lack of any advanced notice to the community was strange and a bit worrisome.

You usually get a month's warning that your domain name is coming up for renewal so plenty of time to let people know what's happening

-catty

TheOtherMicheal

I agree that it's more than a little strange, like catty said there would have been enough warning from the service provider to let the CC team know the domain was due for renewal.
I know the CC team were working on another large scale mod for Banished (if I remember, it was Rise of the Pharaoh) so it seems unusual for them to let their main website just "die" when there was already significant work done on the new mod.

catty-cb

According to the latest reddit posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/5bzb3o/colonial_charter_website_is_getting_a_new_home/d9yujms/?st=ivhsixom&sh=5cfd0560

they have a test site up and running, it just seems a very strange way of changing/moving/updating a website ... I did the same a couple of years ago on my own website, but I started way before the old website address had expired, and once the new domain name plus hosting company and website were up and running I set up a redirect on the old site so anyone visiting got directed to the new site ... even so it was quite some time before some of the users made it over to the new site.

Everyone has their own way of doing things but some kind of message at the old site would have been nice.

-catty

TheOtherMicheal

Catty, thanks for getting all this extra information  :)
I never thought about checking on reddit because I didn't expect the CC team to make such an announcement there. I would have expected a message on their own website - maybe there was one but I never saw it? I would have expected something really obvious whenever we logged onto the site  ::)

catty-cb

I'm a bit of a lurker   :-[  and was going thru the forums at the CC site ... it would have been a couple of days before it vanished and while I can't be certain as I didn't read all the topics, I'm pretty certain I would have noticed a post or topic on shutting the site down and starting again somewhere else   :)

RedKetchup

I FINALLY GOT SOME NEWS ...

RedKetchup447 il y a 1 jour

So Shock, do you have a new link to share? or you will keep the old .com ?

BL_ShockPuppet CC Dev  il y a 23 heures*

its in development. Gix and I are working on the site these days :) All will be revealed soon
We are porting data over in sql, the test site is up, it has a working chat etc.... we are getting there :)

so give them a couple of days or a week..... they will announce the new website :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ShockPuppet

:) Ideally i'd have liked to let everyone know on the forums at CC firstly, but something happened suddenly regarding the previous set up.

This is what happened: I had it written down that the hosting expires end of November, which is true. I forgot that the domain would have already expired by then, so anyway when I went to renew it I was asked for $100 (a penalty of sorts). Basically GoDaddy can go **** themselves, no one is handing over that kind of money to them for a .com

Should I have fixed this all up earlier? Yeah I should have, but CC is not my job, not anyones job, its a hobby. I bought a home (in real life) and have had a stress moving, also at the beach my dog found and ate a fish with the hook still in and has been in hospital etc etc.

So I took this as a fresh opportunity to redevelop the site in a clean, easy way and I must say its looking great now in the tests. I have everyones full CC data secure and encrypted on my own PC, and will just take some time porting it over - problem is new jobs and real life, but we are getting there :)

So, i'll probably do a little something as a thank you to CC people for waiting around xmas, a new animals or something new regarding an existing item (pastures maybe). I'll have to try some new code. Might do a giveaway competition for something nice. We'll see.

brads3

ShockPuppet , thank you for the update. you all are missed.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on November 14, 2016, 08:48:48 PM
ShockPuppet , thank you for the update. you all are missed.

Thanks you Bro for the news :)
you guys are missing alot to .. a ton of people!
thats celebrity ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

catty-cb

Quote from: ShockPuppet on November 14, 2016, 07:07:37 PM
....So I took this as a fresh opportunity to redevelop the site in a clean, easy way and I must say its looking great now in the tests. I have everyones full CC data secure and encrypted on my own PC, and will just take some time porting it over - problem is new jobs and real life, but we are getting there...

I tried out a number of different forum software packages before I settled on using Joomla for my website, probably can't help if you have any problems getting the site up and running as its been a while since I used anything other than Joomla, but an offer of help is there if you need it.   :)

My site is here

https://city-builders.info/

and my hosting company is HostPapa