Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 are you hearing voices now? LOL Please, seek help immediately  :D

brads3

i did already. when i told the doc what they said ,he kicked me out.

Abandoned

Chapter 15

Now was the time, year 17,  we dug our first coal mine, a bell pit.  It took 3 miners to operate but it wasn't long before they brought up the first bucket of coal.  It wasn't long after that when Ston, the archeologist, found the last one of the matching stones and sent it over to the small stone foundation for the builders to reconstruct. 

During this time we also traded for more dalers, and 5 nomads with 1 child arrived in town.  This was followed by an outbreak of yellow fever, but the clinic was opened immediately so the disease was quickly brought under control with only a few patients and no fatalities. Skylan, the export merchant, returned but we still had not had a seed or livestock merchant come to our port.  We hoped a food merchant would stop soon, our surplus was not good even after the harvest was brought in.  We lost part of the rye crop to an early snow.

Ston finally found time to go exam the restored historical site.  Unless we unearth more of the matching stones, this was as much as could be restored.  He thought this ruin was a burial site or some type of memorial to fallen soldiers.  He found some metal fragments embedded in these stones that might have been from crude weapons. There were also numerous bone fragments.  The stone table may have marked a mass grave or been used to display war memorabilia.  We thought it fitting to build a small memorial chapel at this site and made yet another surprising find when digging the foundation.  The builder saw something sparkle in the new fallen snow when the sun broke through the clouds.  It took a while to dig it out of the frozen soil and polish it up but Ston's assumption about the ruin was proven correct.  The old sword fit perfectly in the top of the stone table.

The restored ruin and memorial chapel would honor all these and other brave soldiers everywhere who died defending their homelands or were weary travelers far from home who gave their lives for the good of all.  They did not die in vain and will never be forgotten.

RedKetchup

nice :)

i am happy to see things  nobody used since a year or 2 :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

thanks @RedKetchup , the mod is wonderful and the ruins fit into my story perfectly.  Strange but true, I picked that small ruin as a war memorial before it was built and before I noticed that sword after it had snowed.  I did not notice it in summer, but after it snowed I saw something sparkle, I don't know if it was just the angle of sunlight that hit it or what but it got me to look closer and there was that sword.

I think because I had NMT after the North in the mod list the building requirements showed as iron tools.

Here in the US tomorrow is Memorial Day.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on May 28, 2017, 01:53:19 PM
I picked that small ruin as a war memorial before it was built and before I noticed that sword after it had snowed.  I did not notice it in summer, but after it snowed I saw something sparkle, I don't know if it was just the angle of sunlight that hit it or what but it got me to look closer and there was that sword.

thats the legendary Excalibur !!!

one of your bannies found it ! ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Nilla

.... and does King Arthur and the knights appear in your story! ;)

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 16

In spring of year 18, we planted more rye instead of potatoes and we cleared a new field for even more.  The new rye field got planted a bit late so we assigned a 2nd farmer to the 2 fields on that side of the river.  We also split the milk cow herd, moving some back to the old pasture.  The dairy hut was again making cheese.

A 2nd charcoal pit and blacksmith were built across the river to the north.  One blacksmith could not keep up with making steel,  iron, and iron tools and often having to wait for charcoal. 

The year was almost over when finally Beaula, the seed and livestock merchant arrived.  Although we would have liked more sheep, the merchant had nothing we needed and if he had we would not have had enough dalers and penning.  We were delighted to learn he would accept not only our seedlings, but also our amber and jade statues.  We did not mind quite so much now that the export merchant brought us more unnecessary luxury items than dalers and pennings.  We must get word to wise Nordic woman @Nilla  about this discovery. The boatman said he heard of her and believed she has temporarily left the North and was somewhere called Osborona.  It was not on his trade route but he would spread the word to the other boatmen and hopefully the information would reach her.  We also hoped it would not be quite so many years before a seed and livestock merchant reached us again.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

By June of year 19 our food supply was then extremely low.  Kellyn dropped what he was doing to go hunting but by the time he got to a good spot the deer had all left the area.  We immediately began to gather wild foods, we loved the assortment of mushrooms.

A tunnel mine was built and it was decided that since we needed stone, the loose stone would be cleared out of the mine first.  We were short of laborers even after a group of 6 arrived in July.  In August, Tani the export merchant arrived but again he had no dalers. 

In November we had another disease outbreak, this time scarlet fever.  Again there were few patients and they recovered quickly.  In December our population was 145, 70 adults and 75 children to feed.  When Elio the food merchant arrived we bought beef, barley, rye, and beans.   We built an old salty next to the salt mine and planned to make salted beef.  The year ended very cold and snowy

kid1293

Like everyone else's Northern settlement, your bannies seams to have a hard time.
@Tom Sawyer has really given us a challenge.
The light in this mod is fantastic!

I sure hope you get your mining settlement together without accidents.

Discrepancy

Enjoying your blog @Abandoned .

Something looks wrong with the Tunnel Mine though. That stone texture is not right... surely my texturing wasn't that bad... or maybe it was.

Abandoned

@kid1293 The lighting is my favorite part of the North, the angle and the long shadows make everything look different and highlighted when the sun hits it.  I wonder @Discrepancy if that is why the tunnel mine looks different to you.  This is the cc version, I did not use before, I only used the regular tunnel mine version.  I am finally starting to make some progress on the mining side of town. The Blast Furnace set is a great addition to the game.  :) 

I am a bit concerned that I may not be doing justice to the 3 sets, The North, NMT, and Blast Furnace by using them together on a small map but they do blend well together.

The North certainly is a challenge but more so here because of my storyline.  I made it a bit harder on myself having laborers clearing the ruin foundations and building the lighthouse instead of producing food. And then I'm watching shadows, reindeer, and a flock of grouse crossing the map instead of taking care of business. Oh well, that's just me, and my bannies like living on the edge, good thing I choose an easy start or they'd fall off.   :D

Abandoned

Chapter 18

Spring of year 20, we began construction of another fishing pier.  And when Elio returned we bought cabbage, squash, and all the trout he had.  He had quiche and omelets but no grain.  Despite the snow, the laborers managed to deliver the first batch of sorted stones, that Websterlin called artifacts, to the site of the large ruin across the river.  The foundation had been restored.  In May, 7 weary travelers saw the lighthouse from a distance, they didn't want to stay, just wanted to know what was to the south, they were sick of the cold and snow.  We directed them to the Smallville sign.  It had been a cold snowy winter and spring and the year ended the same way. 

Our mining operation did take a couple of steps forward.  A small iron mine was built next to the old collapsed mine.  The old carts found inside were coming in handy.  We just wished we had more tracks to make them easier to move.  We used what few track pieces we found to keep the wheels from sinking into the ground and tipping the carts sideways.  We also constructed a coke oven.  Despite the thick black smoke, folks didn't mind being near it.  It gave off a fair amount of heat, and it had been a cool rainy summer.  The stone cutter wasn't real happy working outside in an open quarry, the tunnel mine where we were getting stone from was being converted to a year round mushroom farm.  Hayde thought it would make the stone cutter  happy if she made some old fashioned stone tools for him, she set up a small workplace across from the log pile.

Renovations were also taking place in the main part of town.  Due to low production and trade value, the gem smith was shut down and demolished.  A tailor was built in its place.  We had enough leather, reindeer hides, wool, and furs for 2 tailors.  The archeology center was next to go and would be replaced by houses.  All the stones artifacts had been sorted and delivered to the last 2 sites.  The site next to the center was completed first.  Websterlin thought the standing stone structure was quite old and probably quite sacred.  Being a typical dwarf he said it was probably built by those tree loving elven druids who knew nothing about mining and tool making just stood up a bunch of stones.

I, of course, defended the elven druids who were quite knowledgeable especially about things pertaining to mother earth, and the seasons of the year, and sun and the moon.  They were a knowledgeable priestly class of people.  The standing stone structure was simply beautiful and had a sacred grounded to the earth feel to it.  You could almost feel the warmth of the summer sun even in the midst of winter's cold and snow.