irrelevant - Gnaw Bone: going for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One w/ Nature

Started by irrelevant, September 25, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Bobbi

This is a shot of the hospital in my first town, conveniently located near any number of idling spots

Hee heee hee right next to cemetery, trading posts...is great @irrelevant! Wish I had a screen shot from my first town. It was a beauty, that market area with town hall on one side, hospital and school on another, blacksmith and wood chopper on third side, and boarding house on fourth. Lots of house right up against the backside of the hospital, too. Church with cemetery nearby, as well.  :-[

Pangaea

Errrr, guys... here are some pictures from my CURRENT town  :-[ :o

Truth be told, though, I haven't had any real issues with it. People need to get to the hospital when sick, and if every hospital is on the edge of the map, they'll be walking a long time, past other people... I've not had a massive outbreak, but I've had at least 10 diseases across the 100+ years, and the most infected are ~45 people at the same time. So maybe it's not such a clanger after all?

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on October 09, 2014, 06:26:54 PM
This is a shot of the hospital in my first town, conveniently located near any number of idling spots. ;D

In my first four or five towns I built almost every hospital right on the market place next door to the school. I had one between the school and a well. That part of the square was so crowded with idlers that people trying to work could hardly get through. It looked nice up to the point when 100 people out of 500 were sick at the same time.  ::)

irrelevant

@Pangaea How many of those infected were among the idlers standing around near the hospital, or near the other happiness-providers near the hospital? We have had considerable discussion on this board regarding that.

Here's one: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=205.0

Another one: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=149.0

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 07:22:30 AM
@Pangaea How many of those infected were among the idlers standing around near the hospital, or near the other happiness-providers near the hospital? We have had considerable discussion on this board regarding that.

In my case I was heaping idler magnet on top of idler magnet and getting huge crowds. After I started building hospitals away from population and siting them with at least one side inaccessible (though I discovered that really only the river or a lake make a building side truly inaccessible), it was pretty much only the hospital idlers. In one town I was even ringing my hospitals about 30 spaces out with idler magnets like wells trying to head them off before they got to the hospital. They persisted.

Nilla

At the beginning I built hospitals at the marketplace, too. It looks nice.

But I don´t know what i do different from you all. I have very little problems with idlers at hospitals. I hadn´t really noticed this behavior before, but after i read these discussions here a month ago or something, I have bin watching it a bit more closely. Yes, sometimes a child is idling close to a hospital, but I havn´t really seen any adults doing this. At wells and graveyards, yes, but hospitals no.  ???

Mahnogard

Quote from: Nilla on October 10, 2014, 07:37:47 AM
At the beginning I built hospitals at the marketplace, too. It looks nice.

But I don´t know what i do different from you all. I have very little problems with idlers at hospitals. I hadn´t really noticed this behavior before, but after i read these discussions here a month ago or something, I have bin watching it a bit more closely. Yes, sometimes a child is idling close to a hospital, but I havn´t really seen any adults doing this. At wells and graveyards, yes, but hospitals no.  ???

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't have idling issues either. I have other issues with hospitals and sick people, but not idling. I stopped worrying about hospital placement ages ago, because it never seemed to matter. I mean, most people get infected from the sick person leaving the hospital to go home and eat, or because they just have to finish the job they were doing before seeking out a doctor, or because they just have to go to the hospital all the way across the map instead of the one they are closest to. So now I just build enough hospitals, some in town, some further out, and let nature sort it out.

rkelly17

@Nilla and @Mahnogard, you leave me green with envy. I only wish my citizens were as intelligent as yours. Of course I've never had one leave the hospital to go eat. Once mine get in they stay put, but I have seen far to many not only idle or play near the hospital, but even INSIDE the hospital during an outbreak. That has been the primary means of spreading disease in my towns. When I have multiple hospitals I have even seen a citizen who is idling near one hospital get sick and go "visit the doctor" in a far distant hospital, spreading disease all along the way. I only wish I could say that hospital idling has not been a problem.  :'(

irrelevant

I have seen sick bannies leave the hospital before, but it always was someone who was idling inside the hospital and caught the contagion du jour from a sick patient. They then leave the hospital to go do some task, leaving disease spreading in their wake.

Mahnogard

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 10, 2014, 12:22:31 PM
@Nilla and @Mahnogard, you leave me green with envy. I only wish my citizens were as intelligent as yours. Of course I've never had one leave the hospital to go eat. Once mine get in they stay put, but I have seen far to many not only idle or play near the hospital, but even INSIDE the hospital during an outbreak. That has been the primary means of spreading disease in my towns. When I have multiple hospitals I have even seen a citizen who is idling near one hospital get sick and go "visit the doctor" in a far distant hospital, spreading disease all along the way. I only wish I could say that hospital idling has not been a problem.  :'(

My luck is offset by the fact that I can take in no nomads, have full health, and still get diseased every five years or so. Not every town, but enough for me to have taken note of it. I'm starting to think that the hearts are deceptive in that, based on alcohol usage, most of my Bannies are functional alcoholics and have compromised immune systems. Malloy Flats has full happiness, and it still takes 5 taverns and 5 distilleries (Fountain Mod) to keep up with their drinking.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 12:48:42 PM
I have seen sick bannies leave the hospital before, but it always was someone who was idling inside the hospital and caught the contagion du jour from a sick patient. They then leave the hospital to go do some task, leaving disease spreading in their wake.

I've watched Patient Zero get sick, go (the long way) to the hospital, then I'd see them out again just a bit later. Clicking showed that they were getting something to eat, infecting 10 people on the way there and back. That's pretty much when I gave up on trying to micromanage hospitals. It is possible, of course, that they got better for 15 seconds and got reinfected when they left. I didn't consider that until just now. Can that even happen? Or maybe they were really just idling at that hospital on their way to another hospital. Who can tell? I've just stopped trying. It's like herding cats.

I'm always amused that, even without mods, we all have such different experiences in this game. :D

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 07:22:30 AM

I just had an outbreak of tuberculosis myself, which was the most serious so far. I reckon at least 200 people (out of ~2400) got it, and by my count 24 died. The most concurrent infected were around 85. I noticed some people were idling inside and around the hospital(s), and in at least one hub this seems to be how it spread. People are walking everywhere, though, and I saw loads of people get it while being out walking as well, going past others who had it, or past the hospital/market/whatever.

Must admit that I generally don't have a big issue with idlers around hospitals, they seem to gather more frequently at the markets. I'm also not convinced it's the best idea to have hospitals in outlying areas. People need to get there one way or another to get treated. If it's far away, they'll walk past lots of people. The risk of dying is lower in a hospital, but first they must get there. Yes, people will get infected outside hospitals in more central areas, but at least they have a shorter way to get to treatment themselves.

However, watching that tuberculosis outbreak I'd probably prefer to not place them quite so close to the markets, as then there are so many people within infection range. I wouldn't place hospitals way out of the way though. I have a few like that, and nobody got there, but if they had to get there, they'd have to walk halfway across the map, past several markets or in other high traffic areas. I'm not sure what is worse, but I think getting to a hospital fast is important too. If you have 10 people off in various directions towards hospitals on the edge of town, they may be worse than the same people walking into a more central hospital and get treated faster.

Edit: Having written all that, in my next game I'll probably try out the BOBBI hospital mod. It was frustrating to see people idle inside hospitals, get infected, walk off, do some task and infect others, and then walk back towards a hospital for treatment. Maybe no idling at hospital would reduce that. Shame to lose the happiness as well, but maybe it won't matter too much.

Also important to point out that people tend to idle when they have nothing to do. So if you have a million labourers, more will probably idle in unideal spots.

Nilla

Quote from: Mahnogard on October 10, 2014, 01:22:10 PM

I'm always amused that, even without mods, we all have such different experiences in this game. :D

YES !!!
me too

that´s why I love to read the blogs

everyone have his/her own way of building and thinking, very interesting to follow.

something else......

this is @irrelevant´s Gnaw Bones blog and I am so happy for you that you succeed and that your Bannies not had to gnaw the bones to stay alive :)

rkelly17

Quote from: Mahnogard on October 10, 2014, 01:22:10 PM
My luck is offset by the fact that I can take in no nomads, have full health, and still get diseased every five years or so. Not every town, but enough for me to have taken note of it. I'm starting to think that the hearts are deceptive in that, based on alcohol usage, most of my Bannies are functional alcoholics and have compromised immune systems. Malloy Flats has full happiness, and it still takes 5 taverns and 5 distilleries (Fountain Mod) to keep up with their drinking.

I've often wondered about the whole "5 Hearts" and its connection to getting sick. When I have tracked sick people carefully they almost always have 5 hearts and 5 stars. I know that the different tables people have found in .rsc files indicate that less healthy people get sick more easily, but I've never seen it--usually by the time anybody gets sick I've got the whole settlement up to five hearts through diet and herbs. I generally sell all my ale before anyone can drink it. If I get more than 200 in stock I build another TP and have it collect 1000. I keep happiness high with chapels (Marx was not totally wrong about religion) and cemeteries.