News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Riverview Resort - Story 17

Started by Abandoned, July 30, 2017, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Mod Note:  EB/elemental Sign Set mod has been added.  Thank you @embx61 for the Riverview Sign

Mood Music:  repeat   "Weave Me The Sunshine" by Peter, Paul, & Mary

Chapter 12

In late spring of year 18, another group of 14 immigrants came down from the north via the river.  They wanted to know where they were so we began putting up some Riverview signs.  We were now convinced we had chosen a good location for our resort, river traffic was increasing.   

The group that arrived from the hot, dry southwest did not want to stay.  They wanted to go further north like the others who came from that area.  It was just as well because the hostel was full and we again had many homeless people.  We also now had an outbreak of diphtheria.  The 6 patients were cured with time and medical attention.  The rainy weather did not make anyone feel better, even the deer were trying to seek shelter.

In late summer our 3rd son, Shannings, was born.  Things began looking even brighter when the river boatmen arrived.  Casandice brought sweet potato seeds and Hassandyn, the resource merchant brought logs.  We had enough trade goods for the seeds and we traded for all 100 logs hoping to improve our firewood supply for the coming winter.

We were very pleased with the progress that had been made over the last 2 year.  Our resort area had several ground level houses and one 2nd level house above the new tailor shop.  A blacksmith and butcher shop were already in business and a bakery would be completed soon.  A @kid1293 from the community made some really nice business signs.  The progress we made was a good sign for the future.

grammycat

Come one and all to our new Riverview Resort-enjoy the unique experience of mining!  As always, I'm enjoying your town, your story, and your pics.

Abandoned

Thank you @grammycat , that is nice to hear.  :)  I have gotten quite fond of this resort town.

Abandoned

Mood Music: repeat "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Marz

Chapter 13

The resort area of town continued to progress with the help of a forester lodge, gatherer, and a tiny mine for iron.  Everyone in town was impressed by the 3-story tower house that was built, except for maybe the mother with 2 small children up on that 3rd floor.  I too was feeling the stress of tending 2 small children as well as the flock of chickens.  One of the river boatmen brought more chickens but they would have to go in another pasture. Glen and I were living in what was now the busiest part of town, he was the forester tending the garden shed.  Being close to home and noticing my distress he said if I need my space I should take a break up on the hilltop and he would watch the boys.

From up on the hilltop I could see how much Riverview had grown.  A fantastic looking market square was being constructed on the resort side of town and the roads were being paved with stone.  In the main part of town, a grinding stone was set up to make flour from our wild oats for the bakery.  The storage barn, crates, and sheds were nicely filled and the woodcutters were kept busy chopping firewood.  We had plenty of workers for all the tasks.  Our population was 157, 90 adults, 11 students, and 56 young children.  After 19 years we had a population of 1 larger than Smallville had after 25 years.  We hoped our low education rate of 4% would improve in the coming years.

On the west side of town 2 crop fields were cleared and ready for sweet potatoes to be planted next spring. 

Abandoned

Mood Music: repeat "Follow That Dream" by Elvis

Chapter 14

In spring of year 20 another houseboat arrived but the inhabitants did not want to stay. They had family back in Smallville, did we know the quickest way to get there?  We directed them to the old sign Glen erected so many years ago and told them to follow the stream north.  We gave them a cart of supplies to take with them in exchange for the houseboat that they were leaving here with us.

They should have good traveling weather.  We were glad it was spring, our firewood supply was again very low.  We added another woodcutter to our workforce when 9 nomads arrived from the southwest and we traded herbs and venison for firewood when Hassandyn, the resource merchant arrived.  What Riverview badly needed was educated workers.  Our production numbers could be so much better than they were.  Our woodcutters, blacksmith, tailor, and farmers could be far more productive than they were now, our harvest totals were a perfect example.  But we were doing alright, it could be worse, we must look on the bright side.

By winter a large part of Glen's dream came true.  Town women and river boatman's wives would no longer have to work hard all day and then go home to start a fire and cook super.  They would be able to stop at the market BBQ and pick up a ready made meal of venison and sweet potatoes if they wanted to.  It was a bright spot indeed when that outdoor grill was fired up for the first time that winter.  And it was a nice spot to warm up at on a cold winter day.

Abandoned

Mood Music: repeat "Weave Me The Sunshine" by Peter, Paul, & Mary.

Chapter 15

In early spring a very impressive paddlewheel boat came down the river.  On board was a man named @Savidan .  He and the others with him were surveyors, he was attempting to make a map of the area and rivers, not an easy job because of our ever changing rivers.  The group would not be staying with us but would be leaving the paddle boat here; we could use it as we saw fit.  There was plenty of storage space on board.

When the seed merchant came by we traded for wheat seeds and later that year for sunflower seeds.  The wheat was planted immediately but the sunflowers would have to wait.

By early summer another part of the dream was completed.  A beautiful small spa was built in a peaceful spot in the eastern forest.  We now thought of our town as Riverview Resort & Spa.  And it wasn't long before yet another part of the dream became a reality.  It was a pleasant walk to the river and the new gazebo constructed at the river's edge.  The walk was beautiful in summer and golden in autumn, and boatmen's wives with their children could often be seen out on the gazebo trying to get a first glimpse of their returning loved one.

Sadly, Riverview suffered its first lost loved one when Stacio the miner was killed by a cave in.  After the memorial service in the chapel,  I took a walk back by the farm fields.  I wondered where another field could be placed that wouldn't infringe on the good hunting grounds.  I remember thinking how pretty that large house looked in the snow.  A very pretty house indeed.

Abandoned

Chapter 16

By early spring of year 22, most of the road were paved with stone.  Laborers had more time to collect wild foods and herbs and farmers were back in plenty of time to plant their fields.  Only 1 field of sweet potatoes was planted this year to make room for the sunflowers.  The 3rd field was again planted with wheat. 

When Sham the general goods merchant came we noticed he had stone tools with a trade value of 8.  Since our blacksmith often had to wait for iron we thought it a good idea to have one of them make stone tools for trade until our stock of iron increased.

Our gatherers collected quite a bit of wild honey I notice when I was at the market.  Another brewery barrel was set up to make mead.  We had 2 bee hives and 3 breweries.

By the end of the year our inventories were good and our population was 199, 100 adults, 27 students, and 72 young children.  Baby Ayley was born to a family in the 3 story house in early spring of year 23 raising Riverview's population to 200.   The hot soup from the new soup stand by the hostel was most welcome on those chilly spring days.

Later that year I became one of the beekeepers and Glen took over tending the chickens.  The two children still at home were growing up.  Shannings would be starting school soon.  We could only hope the new school being build on the resort side of town would be finished in time.   Ernestia, the teacher at the outdoor classroom in town, noticed that the old well had many broken and crumbling stones and she worried it was not safe for the young children who often stopped to drop pebbles into it.  The well was dismantled for safety sake.

By the end of year 23 all our supply numbers were good and holding steady or increasing, all except for our food supply.  We would have to see about increasing production next year.

kid1293

It could very well be the education level that stops the food production.
It's a big task taking so many nomads into town.
I guess it will even out sometime soon.

Abandoned

That is a problem with uneducated nomads, it is made worse with the 1:1 aging mod because children start school at age 6 so most of the nomad children have missed out on being educated.  Also a problem that 50% of the population are children.  The food production is better than I would have expected.  The smoking shed, market soup and BBQ are helping.  Low education rate was not producing enough goods to trade for seeds but that improved.  A lot to balance.  :)

brads3

with 1:1 there is several otpions. check the change log file
https://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/27-one-year-is-one-year-Update-24-16052032#changelog

there is options to the proper time mod also in the thread here,whenn it was developed. i do like the lower school age so they will become workers earlier. since it is costing you with nomads,do you know what the ages of nomad children usually is or does it varry a lot? the version i use of the propertime mod seems to be a good balance. they finish school and start work about the same age as they will marry and move together. it is hard to find a good balance to fit all situations but you might. i don't think the propertime is dependant on the walking distance as much as 1:1 is.that has a tendency to delay them becoming laborers. in the event that you decide to run a longer town,there are several options to the upper age limit also.

Abandoned

@brads3 I have the latest 1:1 version.  I like that they start school at 6 and finish at 12.  Real time and Proper time is school age 10 - 15.  Thanks for the link to other 1:1 versions.  Here I was getting bigger groups of nomads than usual and did notice that the groups I checked did not have young children, youngest ones were 6 & 7 so missed school. On other maps smaller groups o f nomads seemed more age balanced among children but adults were older, of what I noticed.  All in all, Riverviewians are doing okay despite low education rate and large number of children.

RedKetchup

starting at 6 isnt too soon ?
today since maybe 50 years .. we start at 6 to go to school but if i look back in time, my father and mother they had 2 and 3 years respectively of school, barely know to write. they born in oct 1919 and july 1920. i dont know which year they started school but pretty sure wasnt at 6 years old. probably more like the game set it up for the start (10) for 2-3 y long before they start to have to work and/or have to help grandmother with other kids (for my mother) ^^ i know my father when he was young adult he was working as lumberjack
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

in RL here in the U.S.,normal school starts at ager 6.pre-school or kindergarten before that.bannish world and RL differ on some things.in RL young kids help at farms and around the house:canning,hunting,fishing,tending chickens,basic chores.even the sxhool year is based on that with summer vacations for haying season.
     bannish doesn't allow for that. the main problem with a low school start age is the top end. they become laborers at 12,move out from parents later and marry different too.this complicates housing needs.you can end up with a 7 year old gril living alone hunting deer bigger than she is.LOLor the other extreme, that bothers people, a young 10 year old marries a 45 year old. everyone has different ideas and different play styles. that led to soo many options on the age mods.
   some like the old way of having the population grow separate from the calendar year.to me that is wrong. you produce food on a year base and breed at a ,what 8x?, faster pace.it is out of sync.crops and work is 1 speed,so also breeding and population growth.made sence to me. if we want the game to be faster,in theory we should have the entire game play at 10x speed.sadly most computers won't allow us to do that.
    it can be fun to find a balance that fits you. in ABANDONED'S case more so.she changes from game to game her mods qand some of her play style. i hope she finds solutions in that link to help her adjust things to fit different games.
    personally i like the balanced approach.school ends about 15,then marry have kids and move out all at about the same time.lus it has a higher life span,so i can have bannies live past their 70's even. it does make housing easier to manage and control.not foolproof as you do have a bachelor sometimes who stays that way  til he dies.generally whatever my adult worker cout is divided by 2 is how many houses i should have.i do give up  a few years of work from each bannie but i think it evens out.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on August 15, 2017, 05:59:56 PM
in RL here in the U.S.,normal school starts at ager 6.pre-school

thats what i said , today and since maybe 50years  :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

yes, I like school start at 6 and out at 12.  I like the 1:1aging very much, especially good for storytelling.  I just didn't expect the nomad problem with the Adam & Eve type start condition.  After 12 years I still had no nomads, many of my stories are over between 12 and 20 years.  Next time I will build them a bigger house.  :)