News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

HOW TO ORGANIZE MOD ORDER

Started by brads3, June 14, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

ok ,this issue comes up more lately with the community icon turning most mods red.this is based on experience and having about 100 mods in my WinData folder.it is a useful guide and should solve or at least isolate any problems.

step 1: BE SURE OF WHICH VERSIONS YOU HAVE. this is for banished and the actual mods.if you use 1.06,that is fine and many mods will work. there may be some issues of  using `1.07 mods in 1.06 or 1.06 mods in 1.07.be aware of that but realize i said may be. many times the mods will work back and forth. there are `some older verions that i perfer.

the game reads from the top down. the topmost mod will influence the game more than those below it.however,to organize you want to work from the bottom up. when you click the "move to top" icon the mods go up in the order you click them. if you click in the right order,they will be organized. if you do it backwards they will be backwards. if you want the order to be 1,2,3,4,5 and you click 1 1st and then 2. it will reverse it and it will read 2,1.start at the bottom. click 5,4,3,2,1 and it will read 1 2 3 4 5.the last mod you click goes above all others. this saves moving each mod 1 click at a time.

step 2: starting at the bottom of the order. click every red colored mod to the top.this will push all mods that have no conflict to the bottom out of the way. you now will have less mods to move.

step 3: all mods that influence the game start conditions and map go to the top. examples: no coal,no rain,age variant mods,more wood,NAT DIV, NECORA'S pine mods,etc. again starting at the bottom of the red mods,click all those that affect the start and need to load 1st.

step 4: you now have 3 mod groups- start mods,community or building mods and non-conflict mods.now you can go organize and move mods in the group as needed.if you want all the non-conflict whie colored mods in some order,you may do that. they will not matter anyhow.
     the start mods, you have a smaller group to move mods around in.some do matter. say you have an orchard mod and a tree mod. you want the orchard controls to load before the other trees. you put the orchard mod above the other mod. i usually move the mods that work together near each other. say all mine mods together,residnce or bannie controls like school mods together,etc. this keeps mods close to each other that may affect each other.this way if there is a mistake,it is easier to find later. the NAT DIV and PINE mods i put at the bottom of this group. i don't wat them to offset my orchard mods. NECORA has left a list of how the patches need to be placed. use those guides in that grouping.the pine mod goes above the NAT DIV.
     the community or building mods can be trickier.CC i will deal with separetly. i would organize this group by modder.all RED"s mods,all KID's mods ,all EB,ds,etc. depending on how you organize KID's mods ,it can change the icons on his toolbar.i am still experimenting with this. i see no problems with mod functions due to this. just be aware that if you move a mod in his group up or down you may have icon labels instead of icons. you can play the game either way. due to some water issues lately,i do place RED's mod group higher than others and i place NECORA's sets closer to the bottom of the community group.there may be some experimenting of which modder's sets you want above or below the others. if you find 1 way gives better production or a different look.again this is a general guide. in the past if i moved NMT above or below CC,i had darker or lighter building textures. that no longer happens.
     exceptions: bakery plus mod- i use this as an example.you may find others as well. this is by the guide a start group mod.however, this mod can affect bakeries below it.so if you do not want it to affect "X" bakery,you place "X" bakery mod above it.

CC has add-on mods that NEED to be in the right order. if they are not , it can cause headaches and affect other mods even those ABOVE it. while you double checked the mod versions as stated in STEP1,you should have read that order recommended by CC's team.i will deal wirh a couple but not all add-ons. 1.07 COMPATIBILITY MOD goes above CC. this mod helps solve issues between 1.06 mods and 1.07 mods. if you do not use CC,i recommend trying this mod to see if it helps. if it gives you trader boats with too many items than take it back out and file a report please.there are many mods out there that are old but good mods. they may have problems with the new flags. BE AWARE OF THIS.if somethiing is broke that may be why. this mod may help.
     COMPATIBILITY BUILDINGS MOD: i use this mod. it is supposedly an old mod. without it many buildings from various mods will not show in my toolbar.THIS MOD MUST GO BELOW CC.this solves many conflicts also including cow problems.without this mod,ropes do not work properly or show up in building requirements.so i would not be able to build the tobacco curing barn.if you use old mods, then you want this loaded.

group all CC add=ons with CC in the recommended order.now where do we want this set or group??? this mod does many things.1 is it contains several crop seeds.if you want the texture of a different mod,put that mod above CC. be aware that the crop will produce as the other mod. i have seen this way produce too much and be overpowering.EB's oilpress did this.it has since been fixed. this way also may mean the seed is not labeled at the trading post.if i move RK's ketchup factory above CC,the tomatoe seed has no worded label.again,i think RED fixed that issue since my version.so where you put the CC group depends on how you want the other mods to work. many mods it will not matter if they are above or below CC.you may experiment and move the CC group above or below the other modders groups.

again ths is ment to be a general guide for new players.it does have exceptions. each person plays different and has different ideas.by thinking of the mods in groups ,you will find many problems easier to fix later.by working from the bottom ,you will be able to move mods faster.instead of scrolling and moving a mod 5 spaces and then scrolling agian etc etc. you can move mods to the top and do so in order.

STEP 5 IMPORTANT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< READ THS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  once you have the order set,click ok. and then let the game reload and EXIT complpetely. then restart the game. IF YOU DO NOT DO THAT,YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER AND DO THIS TWICE. it will cause the game to error. it may not do it til AFTER you played for 3 hours. but when you try to save the game,it will dump you on your head.when you reload the game the order will reset to the way you had it before you moved any mod.
     after you reload the game,double check the order. if you made any mistakes, now is the time to fix it.accidents do happen. maybe you  disabled a mod without knowing it.better safe than sorry.

SUBNOTE: most 1.06 mods will function without issue. if the mod just adds a barn,house,or decoration,you will not need the updated version.updated versions may have better graphics or other pieces added.this is a choice. i actually have several that i use because i am used to where they go in the toolbar. there are many mods that might have issues with the new flags.normally a market set or a blacksmith.if you find buildings not functioning and you are sure you have the materials for the production,then this may be why. again i recommend trying the 1.07 compatibility mod from CC.
    my setup shows no blank tags or problems between 1.06 and 1.07 mods.i ran tests and continue to play.i debugged and built several trade posts and townhalls. i made all resources visible and did not have any blank labels.i did find 1 crop seed unlabeled later.i have finetuned my order to help productions.
some buildings would produce less than expected.
    you can read through my village logs for more info on various mods.any tweaks to my order are listed in the 1st posts of each town. i try to give different views of my toolbar from time to time.as always,feel free to ask questions.  we all are willing to help.

since there are more new players i do want to add to this
i want to add a trick to this. once you have the mod order set and have restarted the game completely, open a new game and use the debug mod.quick build a townhall and open the inventory.click the star on the debug to make all items visible.now the top of the inventory may or may not show any blank tags< items that have a zero but no wording for discription>. these blank tags can be caused by mod conflicts.clues that you can use to move mods in the mod order to sometimes solve any issues. if you can scroll through the inventory and narrow down what is missing,then that mod needs to go higher in the order to solve it.
     while you are at this step,it is handy to glance off the icons and see if you are missing something. in some cases you might see a dot looking icon.those generally mean a building is added twice. say you loaded a house and then a set that included the house,the house might show a dot icon. you then can remove or disable the doubled mod.

note to players who have added many mods over time.if switching from a major mod such as CC or the NORTH and now RK's CHOICE mod,it is advised to clear the game registry.there are several posts on how to do this. it will weed conflicts and also will gain you a ton of speed. without doing this the game looks for the other mods slowing down the load speed.failing to do this can cause weird issues.some more major and noticable than others.

pappa

Nice detailed report
a. where do find  COMPATIBILITY BUILDINGS MOD
Thank you for this
pappa

pappa

ancientmuse

@brads3

Your post just caused me to go into my windata folder and count how many mods I've got out of curiosity.

I counted 161 mods in total (and every one of them in use) !!

Holy ripped nylons Batman... I'm a mod addict !

:o

QueryEverything

Whilst I find this topic useful @brads3 and I mean no disrepct to your efforts, and the topic should be something that would eventually be pinned, my advice.

Put it all into MS Word, or something similar, run a spell check, grammar check, and use bullet points.  Then when it's read.  Paste into notepad to remove formatting (this forum doesn't like formatting from outside sources), then readd your bullet points, and BOLD, italics, etc as you want them. 
Shorter paragraphs etc would be excellent.   

You have the groundwork of a good help article - fine tuning would make it better.  Good start.  There are a few tweaks I would make about some of it - but that's personal preference, but - the article as a whole, it's worth keeping.

Before anyone has a shot at me - I am not having a go at Brads - I am aware that there are some out there that don't have MS Word etc, that aren't able to run spell checks, that can't grammar check, that English isn't their first (2nd etc) language, or that their computer skills aren't excellent - I am not (repeat), not criticising Brads on that, merely suggesting, that if he can - he should, and if he can't, perhaps ask someone if they could run it through Word etc to format it out for him - this article - should be used by players, it has a good basis, but it is extremely hard to read, and to follow as it now stands.  I think he did a good job of putting in the effort.

I would also suggest some screenshots - help desking, and walkthrus, often need screenshots, it helps when the reader may not understand something due to language barriers etc. 

And not capitalising the title.  //proof reader mode turned off ;)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

brads3

why did you count them?? at the bottom of the folder it tells you how many files is in there.161 is too many. only 1 other person is suppose to have more than me. ;D

ancientmuse

Quote from: brads3 on June 14, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
why did you count them?? at the bottom of the folder it tells you how many files is in there.161 is too many. only 1 other person is suppose to have more than me. ;D

Well obviously I didn't just look at the bottom of the file folder to see how many files are in there and chose to count them one at a time instead.... because.... well.... because I'm kinda slow and special that way.

*snort*

(or it just didn't dawn on me)

But either way, I'm a very special snowflake.

:P

brads3

QUERY , i did all that you asked in my last 2 statements" feel free to ask questions.  we all are willing to help." if you need more help than that you should go play.............................i did this to help NEW PLAYERS.  why do you need to come complain about it?

brads3

lol AM.don't cut yourself down that far.

ancientmuse

Quote from: brads3 on June 14, 2017, 05:05:18 PM
lol AM.don't cut yourself down that far.

Oh hell, I laugh at myself all the time.

I blame it on that new disease I've developed recently since hitting the big "5-Oh" this year..... the disease is known as O.L.D.

"old" for those of you still scratching your heads wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

;)

brads3

that is a scary 1 for sure.no cure either.

QueryEverything

@ancientmuse I have over 245+ :)

@brads3 Did you not read the entire message, or are you just determined to argue?
You did nothing of what I asked, and quite simply you're attacking me now because I said that your topic was a good idea - but should be run through a spell checker?  I tried to give you credit, slap me if you want - fine.  I tried to offer you help.  Take it, don't take it.  Not my problem - don't abuse me for it. 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

The Pilgrim

I think this is great as is. @brads3 , I have honored you with my first sticky!!

brads3

is that what is stuck in my hair?lol how goes it PILGRIM? have you been working on the colonial additions?