News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-going south to Egypt

Started by Nilla, September 10, 2019, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Now it´s finally time to go and try Red´s "Rise of the Pharao". All screenshots I´ve seen look really beautiful.

I must report that my 3 first "towns" (or what I may call them, not much was actually built) failed.  :(

The reason for my failure was that the settings happened to be set on "Jack and Jill" when I started the game and I thought; Why not, Red use to make fair mods, it will work and it´s a good way to learn all production chains; if you really have nothing to start with.

But I don´t think "Jack and Jill" is possible without additional mods. And you know me; Rise of the Pharao pure it is.

It´s the weird Banni behaviour not to eat without a barn that killed us. The smallest Egyptian barn (a very beautiful creation) cost mud to build and at least I haven´t found another way to get it than to build a mud pit. I had my doubts that it would be possible to build it in time and produce enough building material before they would starve but at least I´ll give it a try. I thought I found a nice spot at the river without any egg nests, cotton bushes or other barn-stuff, that wouldn´t have been cleared. But it looks like that reed is stored in barns, too. My Egyptian Bannis; the man in his sexy shorts and the woman in her elegant white dress stopped working.

I didn´t find a single spot on that map where I could have built it, barn-stuff everywhere and not on the next map either. A third try before I give up and indeed; I found a spot to build it. But as I suspected; they starved to death before they could build the barn.

RedKetchup

yeah in early beta not everything is tuned ^^ i guess to need mud for the barn is a problem.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

The mud for the barn is only a problem if you chose to play Jack and Jill without any additional mods. But long term; if you want to keep that start option @RedKetchup, there might be a good idea to have a small cheap shed, barrel or something else, where they can store the very first barn-stuff.

Anyway, I´m the stubborn kind of person. I wanted Jack and Jill so I decided to add a few mods. I choose Forest outpost and Tiny from @kid1293. Why these? When I´ve looked at other players tests of this mod, the vanilla buildings; forester, gatherer, hunter...... look a bit odd in these surroundings (I´m sure you have plans for those, too Red but one thing after the other). These buildings from Kid are nice and small and doesn´t disturb the overall impression.

I´ll tell a bit to the pictures.

First picture
That small barn isn´t very cheap; 32 logs but they managed to build it in time. It doesn´t look all too odd in the surroundings. They don´t need much firewood only a small amount seem to be needed for cooking and cold nights. So we don´t need a chopper yet; there´s enough deadwood to be found. In fact; I´m in year 21 with 21 inhabitants (Jack and Jill takes time) and we still get along very well with deadwood.

First I was a bit confused, not finding the menu button to collect deadwood, but that "clear wild things" is very convenient to use; clear firewood, textile plants, and reed; things you need at the beginning. (I sell the reed now but will probably need it later)

Second picture
Blacksmith and tailor do look odd in the surroundings. I hope that they are your next projects. But at least they work (except that one wrong recipe at the blacksmith menu, mentioned in @MarkAnthony´s thread).

Since I had the Forest outpost loaded I decided to build the small school from it. Not because it´s cheap and I couldn´t afford the vanilla school, just because it looks better in these surroundings than a North American style of school.

I also build the small forester from the Forest outpost but soon realized that he plants oaks, firs and birches. (You can see one small oak if you look carefully) Not so suitable in the Nile Delta. First, I thought it was the mod from Kid but when I looked at the pictures from @irrelevant´s testing, there were these trees at the vanilla forester, too. I´ve decided to cut the odd tress and close the forester and so long I get along with cutting a few trees here and there. I´ve also bought some logs. We need only a little firewood (and when we have more houses and need more, I guess we can use thatch and reed), and most houses are mainly built with mud and mud bricks, so we need very little logs.

Third picture
It´s not the merchant arriving; that would have been too good. The ship is just a decoration and was free to build, so I couldn´t stop myself from building it; beautiful.

I think the guys who tested beta1 mentioned that there are empty slots at the trade menu, so I guess you already know, @RedKetchup. But I´ll tell it all the same. By the way; the first merchant brought bison. Don´t think they would fit very well in an Egypt pasture. I might buy some goat later, maybe they also had some cows, chicken and sheep but certainly no bison.

I´ve also seen no merchant who brings ores. Is this intentional, @RedKetchup?

Fourth picture
I didn´t build the big market and the boarding house because I need them, just because I want them. They are really impressive and beautiful. Very nicely done!

There are some oddities in wild food collecting. This may be intentional or not but some types of food aren´t marked by the "clear food menu button"; you get a lot of different new kind of wild food like lettuce, garlic, lentils (are they counted as a grain?), leek, eggs but no honey and juniper berries and maybe something else that you get when you use "clear all". The small gatherer from Kid collects juniper berries, mushrooms, roots and onions, nothing else. I haven´t tested the big vanilla gatherer, yet, so I don´t know what it collects. Maybe I will hide one somewhere in the deep forest later.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 11, 2019, 02:36:45 AM

Third picture
I´ve also seen no merchant who brings ores. Is this intentional, @RedKetchup?
In Beta 1 the resource merchant brought ore when I ordered some, but he was very stingy with it. The first time I ordered iron tin ore he brought one ore, next time he brought three. The other items he brought were the regular quantities, something is odd with buying ore. I ended up buying refined metal.

Fourth picture
I didn´t build the big market and the boarding house because I need them, just because I want them. They are really impressive and beautiful. Very nicely done!

There are some oddities in wild food collecting. This may be intentional or not but some types of food aren´t marked by the "clear food menu button"; you get a lot of different new kind of wild food like lettuce, garlic, lentils (are they counted as a grain?), leek, eggs but no honey and juniper berries and maybe something else that you get when you use "clear all". The small gatherer from Kid collects juniper berries, mushrooms, roots and onions, nothing else. I haven´t tested the big vanilla gatherer, yet, so I don´t know what it collects. Maybe I will hide one somewhere in the deep forest later.
Wow! Yes, the market is spectacular. Nicely done @RedKetchup
In Beta 1 the included gatherer did collect all food items including berries and honey. I still found myself using the "clear all" button to get extra honey and berries outside the circle (honey is grain here, I don't think any other wild food is, and berries are the only fruit).

brads3

which forest outpost mod did you add? there is a normal version and a nat div version. the nat div version allows the houses to use thatch without it bein bundled.the ND version also uses thatch as a building aterial and changes that for some of the vanilla buidings and pastures.

did you consider adding the Moroccan mod. that may have gave you the school and shops you want.

Nilla

Maybe @brads3 the Maroocian buildings would be nice to add, I didn´t really think about them, thanks for reminding. And I use the old "standard" Forest Outpost, same as I´m using the "old standard" Tiny mod. That´s enough for this game. I have no intention to use a lot of buildings from them, only those that look better than vanilla in these surroundings, so a little easier building material here and some more options there isn´t important, but maybe for a larger game, the other versions would have been better.

And yes @irrelevant, I think it´s the small trading port from Kid´s tiny that doesn´t have the ore. I´ve now tried to hide the large vanilla port in as much forest as possible and there you can order ore. No merchant has brought any yet, so I can say nothing about the amount.

I´ve also hidden a vanilla gatherer in the forest and it does collect everything. Only one problem; the forest grows very dense. There´s no forester planting, it´s pure natural growth. It´s good because you don´t need to look at the buildings that don´t fit in the surroundings ;), but it´s also bad; there´s not much room for wild food between all tress and (thatch?). After I´ve built a small forester that only cuts, the output from the gatherer has improved. Only; I  get another "problem". These Egyptian Bannis don´t need many logs, they don´t need much firewood, so what am I supposed to do with the logs and thatch the forester gets out from the forest?

I´m also trying to "trick the climate". For some reason, I didn´t really pay attention, I play a harsh desert climate on a lower Nile Delta map. :P ::) It gets very hot in summer and normal farming makes no sense. But crops grow quite well in winter and a bit in spring and autumn, so when you let farmers plant as usual, then close the field and wait until winter to harvest, it works. I wouldn´t want to do this at a larger settlement but at the moment it´s funny.

First picture
Output from the gatherer's hut; 3 gatherers worked in the dense forest last year. Not much food was found.

You can also see, it´s late autumn. The field and orchard are yet to be harvested. As the merchant brought pepper, I thought; pepper, good crop for a hot climate but then I started to think; I´m not sure but isn´t pepper a crop from oversea? I don´t think the old Egyptians would have had any. Anyhow, now it´s there and if Heyerdahl could sail with his Ra from Egypt to the Caribbean the Egyptian could also have returned with pepper seeds and if the current and wind didn´t allow that trip back; there´s always the Stargate.

There´s also another for me unusual thing to see, an uncut orchard where the trees have started to die. Normally I cut orchards to make use of the logs as soon as the first tree dies, but here I have more logs than I can use.

Second picture

This magnificent market and the monuments are really "magnets" for the Bannis, always a lot of people hanging around.

Third picture
Here´s the production of the gatherers now. The forester has worked (only cutting) more or less without brake for 8 years (maybe the log limit was reached in smaller periods but I tried to use as much of it as possible) and the output of food has increased continuously. The forest is still dense but at least we can see a bit of the roof from the gatherer´s hut. You can see a small difference to the untouched forest.

angainor88

The Moroccan buildings would probably go with the setting somewhat, but the build values are based on the vanilla game, and some of them use iron. I'm not sure how much that is affected by the Rise of the Pharoah mod though.

brads3

if iron isn't available, it could be added very easily.

Nilla

I´m not so fond of adding something that wasn´t meant to be there, like iron. If Red has decided his Egyptian scenario take place in the bronze age, I´m not keen on adding iron, maybe trade for it; from some foreign culture that has developed iron production but not producing myself. I find that´s part of the fun with different kind of major mods. Maybe I will try and see, what´s possible later.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 12, 2019, 02:15:48 AM
I´m also trying to "trick the climate". For some reason, I didn´t really pay attention, I play a harsh desert climate on a lower Nile Delta map. :P ::) It gets very hot in summer and normal farming makes no sense. But crops grow quite well in winter and a bit in spring and autumn, so when you let farmers plant as usual, then close the field and wait until winter to harvest, it works. I wouldn´t want to do this at a larger settlement but at the moment it´s funny.
I was doing this as well.

RedKetchup

well, your forester forests are .... so ... big and compact !
not sure what i can do for that :P thx for the pictures... thats very helpful

angainor88

I did a double check on the construction materials. None of the houses use iron, but some of the buildings in the miscellaneous set do (the mosque, university, and a couple others).

RedKetchup

Quote from: angainor88 on September 12, 2019, 05:06:13 PM
I did a double check on the construction materials. None of the houses use iron, but some of the buildings in the miscellaneous set do (the mosque, university, and a couple others).

yup you cannot ask people not using other mods, and is those mods need iron.... bah you need iron LOL

MarkAnthony

With just your Rise of the Pharaoh mod, the Vanilla Quarry still requires Iron to build. I'm pretty sure it's only because you haven't gotten that far yet in replacing everything so it was no big deal. The Vanilla Mine didn't help any because you get Iron Ore from the Mine but no way to turn it into Iron. The end result being the Vanilla Mine and Vanilla Quarry are useless for now, unless you want Coal from the Mine but I don't recall if Rise of the Pharaoh uses Coal yet.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 12, 2019, 02:59:34 PM
well, your forester forests are .... so ... big and compact !
not sure what i can do for that :P thx for the pictures... thats very helpful
I think it´s possible to change how fast trees grow and how fast they spread. I think as well @Tom Sawyer as @Discrepancy have changed this in their mods. It would make sense if trees were spare, grew and spread slow and logs harder to get in such an environment. It could add a "twist" to the mod; few trees on the map, logs expensive to buy. I would like that. But of course; it would be harder to combine with other mods where you would need a lot of logs for construction. 

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 12, 2019, 08:41:31 PM
yup you cannot ask people not using other mods, and is those mods need iron.... bah you need iron LOL

If this was my mod, and I´ve decided that this is the Bronze Age; iron is unknown, I would have taken away all production possibilities for iron but kept it as a trading good. If you want other mods that need iron, trade for it. It comes from some foreign culture, that has discovered how to produce iron. Sounds logical to me and not too difficult. That´s the same thing as if you want to use some of DS newer mods with iron fittings as a building material that only he has; you can always buy some and use his houses even if the production sites are missing.

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 12, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
With just your Rise of the Pharaoh mod, the Vanilla Quarry still requires Iron to build. I'm pretty sure it's only because you haven't gotten that far yet in replacing everything so it was no big deal. The Vanilla Mine didn't help any because you get Iron Ore from the Mine but no way to turn it into Iron. The end result being the Vanilla Mine and Vanilla Quarry are useless for now, unless you want Coal from the Mine but I don't recall if Rise of the Pharaoh uses Coal yet.

Now I know that you had issues with your blacksmith @MarkAnthony, but mine can make iron from iron ore (at least there is such an option at the menu, I haven´t tested if it works).

Yesterday I looked a bit more at different maps and settings and I must say; this is a beautiful mod! It has great potential. I´m glad that you have shared your work with us @RedKetchup even if it´s far from finished. I´m looking forward to each new update. :)