News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Corona

Started by banishedsanni, March 13, 2020, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banishedsanni

Are you looking for an idea for your new Village blog or
do you just want a reason why your bannies are starting a new life in the wilderness?

How about a global virus that is killing more and more people, so that a few still healthy people are starting to build a new virus-free society in an area far from other civilizations. Too realistic?

https://asset.soup.io/asset/14699/1522_1a39.mp4

Edit: One of the first things that have to be produced are ofc toilet paper and spaghetti.

brads3

i do wonder how the rest of WOB people are holding up? things do not look good at all.

banishedsanni

Quotei do wonder how the rest of WOB people are holding up? things do not look good at all.

You mean in our real lifes?

brads3

of course. i do consider some to be friends.and do see bad #'s from all over. WOB has players from all over the world.

banishedsanni

Im from Germany. At the moment I am on sick leave and therefore at home.

For me it started 3 days ago with a sore throat and since the day before yesterday I have snot and cough with secretion. I called the doctor and asked whether I should come to the practice for a sick leave or not. I was supposed to stay at home and the doctor called me back after about an hour and asked me about my symptoms. In the end, I got sick leave. I was not tested on Corona, nor was I prohibited from leaving the house.

That doesn't mean that I have Corona, nor that I don't have it. It could also be that I have a "simple" flu. At the same time, the symptoms of corona are very similar to those of the flu. Only 4% of the sick people experience a very severe course of the disease, which makes a stay in the intensive care unit necessary. Most of the sufferers experience a simple course of the disease. The real problem with this virus is that especially older people over the age of 50 are at risk from the virus. Current figures show that the virus can be fatal, especially in people over 50 years of age.
As far as I've read, only people over the age of 50 have died from Corona. (There is only one case in China where a person under the age of 18 died from it).
That means, as exhausted and miserable as I feel right now, the likelihood that I will fully recover is very good. However, I am contagious for at least 14 days. That's why I stocked up on some supplies and now I just stay at home, I don't go out and so I avoid infecting other people.

About the general situation in Germany: It has been clear since this morning that schools and kindergartens will remain closed for now. My mother is a police officer and there was a conference today that it was likely here in Germany that, like in Italy, all public life would soon be shut down.

Overall, there is great uncertainty in Germany. People are hoarding disinfectants, noodles and toilet paper (as is currently the case all over the world) and complain that the kindergartens and schools remain closed.This is mainly because people are poorly informed by the media. You only hear and read "Corona hu! Corona buhu! Wash hands! Hoard noodles!".

The reason why kindergartens and schools were closed is, above all, that (of course) where people come together in a confined space, the virus spreads particularly quickly. But it's not first about protecting the children. It has been shown that children and pregnant women show hardly any symptoms when they are infected with the virus. It is suspected that the virus cannot properly dock on the children's not yet developed cells. So why are schools and kindergartens closed? Even if infected children show hardly any symptoms, they are contagious. They infect their parents and grandparents (and they are particularly at risk). Before the disease shows any concrete symptoms, the parents and grandparents who got infected by their children are already infectious. They go to work, shop, etc. and infect other people. That why. 

Unfortunately, this is not explained by the media. Everything I know about the virus I have gathered together on official websites of various health institutes. And since I am at home and have the time, I was able to do that. It annoys me that the media are not properly fulfilling their obligation to provide information. Instead, only panic is spread. The fact that people are not enlightened means that the children, who can no longer go to school and kindergarten, are dumped at the grandparents so that mom and dad can go to work. Counterproductive.

All I can do is stay at home, to not infect anyone. I'm not feeling good enough to leave the house anyway. Even if my condition has improved a bit since today. But i know i'll be well again. This isn't my first flu and it won't be my last.

I have read here and there something about the situation in other countries. But the few information I get here and what the fact is, are two different things.

What is your situation like?

I really hope that my text is understandable since English is not my mother tongue.

Gatherer

I'm from Slovenia. All kindergardens and schools of all levels are closed for the next week. Some people are hoarding food and supplies. We've been to the supermarket ourselves and bought some foodstuffs that can last for several months or years. But we've always been somewhat of a hoarder family even in normal times. We could last for several weeks on our own in case the virus mutates and starts coding dead cell revival proteins lol. As of time of this writing we have had 144 officialy infected people. I assume the real number to be 10 times higher but undocumented.

I work in an automotive factory with over 3K people working in 3 shifts. Unofficialy there are 4 people from our factory already in self-isolation because of infection or because they were in direct contact with an infected person. Starting monday the security personnell will start checking body temperature at all entrances. There are disinfectants readily available at every corner and we are constantly being bombarded with personal hygiene instructions. From what we hear the company will try to keep us running for as long as they can. Reportedly there is enough parts and material for the next week. After that, who knows? A lot of our supply comes from or through Italy.

My shift is supposed to work in the afternoon next week but I was asked from a colleague from another shift to switch and work Monday and Tuesday morning because he has to watch over his little children since kindergardens are closed.

Some personal info about me: I'll be 38 years old in 2 weeks and have been hospitalized in 2017 with a serious case of pneumonia. I was told after recuperation by the doctors that they gave me less than 50% chance of survival. They never established a cause for my pneumonia despite testing me for everything they could think of. So that puts me in a risk group.

I wish all forum members good luck and lots of health wherever you are and to you @banishedsanni I wish you recuperate fast and to see you on this forum for a long, long time.

Cheers!
:)
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

banishedsanni

Quote from: Gatherer on March 13, 2020, 01:43:28 PM
I wish all forum members good luck and lots of health wherever you are and to you @banishedsanni I wish you recuperate fast and to see you on this forum for a long, long time.

Cheers!
:)

Thanks :) and I hook up with your wishes of health to everyone!

I work in a supermarket and if everything else has to close, I guess we will stay open. But since I was not tested for corona, as soon as my sick leave ends in 1 week, I will call the official corona hotline to ask, if I am allowed to go work again or i better get tested for corona. If i have corona, i should stay home 1 more week or i risk infecting work mates and customers. We will see what the end of next week brings.

brads3

the US being so big, our states are deciding on school closings. some states are closing all and some are closing some areas and not all. we are at times a rural nation in that we have many areas that are small towns or smaller,yet the people travel farther for work to larger populated areas. as such, what is in 1 state far away can be in our backyards overnight.all sporting events have been shut down for at least the rest of this month. many are closed longer.

the media has not helped. there is so much fighting between 2 political parties to try and make the other look bad. many people on facebook are uninformed. they blame the medica and Democrat party for hype and making the situation sound worse. when in fact the media does not realize how bad it really can be. word is it is the FLU and only affects old people.  the idiots fail to realize their parents are old. most of the country has no idea how high the dead count can go nor what willl happen when the hospitals are overwhelmed. the biggest news they get is laughable- to wash your hands and stores are sold out of toilet paper.

i too have good websites for information. some of us have followed this as far back as mid-January. we have watched as Wuhan was shut down. it was quite shocking to wacth as CHINA shut down millions and many cities over the next couple days.     that was very disturbing. no where have we found a good explanation to the actions by CHINA. shut down 1 city of 11 milliion and then continue to close more and more.

word is CHINA is not back to work yet. speculation is death count is much higher than CHINA says. this is huge cause the US used to be the production capital but we outsources everything to CHINA.  as stores run out of items, i am not sure our stores can restock.some,i do not know how much, of our recycling goes thru Canada to China and then is processed into packaging materials;boxes,bottles,etc. without packaging ,nothing can be shipped.

i am not in a major city,thankfully. but i am in a small city. i would rather be out in the country near a nice rtural stream or lake. i did stock supplies to stray home for several months if need be.have worked to keep the girl friend away from people as much as we can to avoid it.she has had medical isues much of her life. is on blood thinners among other medicines. she has had pnemonia in the past.   hopefully we can hold up til spring. once it warms up,i plan to get out of the city and move.

word out of Italy is not good. hopefully you all stay safe and keep your heads up. i do think we are in for a long hard year. we may wish we all were banished somewhere else before this virus is done.i think our government spot tested to see how far the virus spread from 1 coats to the other. they have worked to keep the total #'s down and avoid panic by the people. ours is famous for the "kick the can down the road" idea.  i wonder what they will do once the can can not be kicked any longer and the people wake up to reality.

stay safe folks.

banishedsanni

30min ago I watched news in tv and they said italy counted 250 dead people this day. I mean not dead ppl since corona spread. 250 ppl died today in italy by corona. :( That is a massive increase. Rly shocked me.

Nilla

I´m in Sweden and maybe we are a bit "cooler" than some other countries. Of course, Corona is dominating everything but schools and kindergarten are still open, so is the border (except to Denmark but not on our behalf) and at least yesterday, there was still toilet paper at the Supermarket. But since both my husband and I are chronically ill, we stay at home as much as possible. Hoping for the best.

I´m sure it will be as bad as in Italy most everywhere, they are only a week or two ahead of us.

brads3

goo to hear from you,NILLA. sadly i think you are correct.

angainor88

I am from the US too. Like brads3 says, each state and city are doing their own rules of when/how to shut things down. My own state is pretty densely populated, so they've shut down a lot. Everyone who can work from home is staying home. All restaurants are closed, or only open for delivery. All gatherings of more than 25 people are prohibited.

I still go to work everyday because I can't work from home and am not sick as far as I know. The streets and subways are so empty; it's a little spooky.

I wish everyone here good health, and if sick, that they have a swift recovery :)

banishedsanni

Update: Yesterday Merkel declaired that from today all not nessecary stores have to close. Only things like supermarkets, restaurant (shortened opening times), pharmacies, 
banks, gas stations and ofcourse hospitals and police stations are allowed to stay open. Everything else has to close or people have to work from home.
I live in the capital Berlin and I can say that the car traffic is reduced a lot. But there are a lot of people on the streets, going to the supermarkets
(still no milk or toilet paper - didnt looked for noodles but lets guess....), go for a walk, enjoying the sun on benches or play with their children.
A very lot of old people are outside - people that are part of the risk group and should stay home because THEY are to be protected by all these sanctions ....

Thats the reason why a few days ago in france president Macron declaired curfew. Same goes for austria i think. If people here in Germany do not voluntarily stay at home,
this will also happen here. Additionally media says, that the european union plans to close the borders for everyone not from the EU (beside goods transport ofcourse).
But there is still no real agreement.

There was a little uproar because President Trump tried to get a vaccine company to make this vaccine exclusively for the United States.
But they refused because the vaccine has to be accessible to everyone.

I'm on the mend but the doctor put me on sick leave for another week yesterday. Im very sure next week i will be ready to work again.

brads3

yea all countries seem to be doing very similar.shut down slowly but it expands to more and more. start with schools and then go til all but medical and food stores are left open. the # of people for a large group and how long things are closed continues to change. now it is 10 people is a crowd. 2weeks has grown,some countries sseem to say a month. TRUMP hinted that this could go on thru the summer.

the rumor that TRUMP tried to "steal" a vacccine or workers to make 1 and keep it is a rumor.there are a few,some pass blame on which made the virus.  i think these rumors are to keep the country's people blaming someone else instead of the governments of each. if all the peopple in denmark blame the US,or the people of RUSSIA blame TURKEY,etc the people are all blaming someobody but not organizing together to blame their own leaders. this is to keep peace within each country. even as our leaders screw up and make bad choices or impose more rules.

from early on as CHINA locked down WUHAN and then more and more cities, i see this as being worse than we know. the actions of governments does not match with what we are told. this is much worse than any SciFY movie we have ever seen. CHINA had a billion people. to lock down so tight for a few thousand dead is not realistic. i take it for the countries to all lie says the truth is much worse.

in the US,we have cities doing as WUHAN did. closed down except medical stores,hospitals,and food. all others must stay home.i expect the news today to be more of these lockdowns. it is too late,the virus is spread already. the government here appeared to screw up and took to long to do the tests.now they look to be several weeks behind. i say looks and appears because i think it was on pupose. not to save the economy,it looked like that, but to delay what is inevitable. the economy of the entire world is done without CHINA making anything. kinda hard to sell what nobody has.

sadly i think the world is in more touble than we know. the disease is affecting younger people than we were led to think.  too many lies from all our leaders.

Goblin Girl

I live in a small city in the US Great Lakes region.  I'm currently feeling fine, and staying home so I remain that way.  Right now there aren't any reported cases in my city, but that's no doubt because of the testing debacle in the US.  Currently in my state, schools, libraries, bars, restaurants, and churches are closed.  Everyone is supposed to stay home, but of course some people cannot, and others will not.

I'm getting my exercise by playing fetch with the dog in the back yard.  She has more energy than I do, so I just throw while she does all the running back and forth.  :D

I hope everyone here is well, and practicing social distancing to the extent that you can.