News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Proper Time

Started by kid1293, October 26, 2016, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemental

It's interesting to see how differently everyone plays this game. That's also something that you can see in screenshots - everyone has their own unique style.

My introduction to Banished was watching it on youtube when it first came out. And of course they played it on 10x and often had big problems because at that speed things happen quickly and if you don't react fast enough it can go really bad. I hated it. (plus, vanilla is very limited in what you can do)

I play at 1x with a 1:1 aging mod. Yes the game starts off very slow. Very very slow. You always want more workers, you always have more things that you want to do but you have to pick your priorities. But I like it that way. To me it feels more immersive. :) I will sometimes (occasionally, like once every 5 or 10 years) add extra people via debug menu in the early game. I don't see that as unrealistic. A new settlement with plenty of food and plenty of jobs should have immigrants flocking to it. And if those boats can bring cattle they can bring people. :) Plus, the whole inbreeding thing without adding to the population one way or another is a bit creepy.

brads3

very true elemental,we all play different. sometimes i use the debug so i can start with seeds and livestock. since i sstart as adam& eve ,where do the traders come from???but i can plant seeds from the wild like apples or berries.or if i ran away from somewhere witha ship why wouldnt i have took a dog,some chickens,a cow,horse. but yea something. the debug mod does have its uses. i dislike the start placement of buildings. but like having extra ppl. i usually get the 2 started.,build a house toolshed,hunting spot. and by fall of yr 2 build more houses and "debug" some ppl. probs occur when they give u mostly males.
   as to what the ages should b,KID. theres no right answere for everyone.  somewhere way back i read schooling was 6yrs plus a distance factor. children moving out at young ages,most think is wrong.but if they dont move out u have no population growth. its a lose lose. most figure child bearing at around 15 or 16. which figures about what would b normal back in the 1800's. taking thee 15 subract 6 ,we have move out age around 9. that normally will b about the time between the 3rd and 4th baby. your houses will b full of ppl. but here becomes the arguements. do u move kids out at 9??? and then how long b4 they can pair up or marry??. i argue with myself when i play too.lol. 

the upper #'s are easier to figure.i think most like trying to hit the high age #.like u kept the banis alive that long. i had ppl into their 80's.. max child bearing should b 40- 45.  now my take is the school start age and the adult age must b the same per the game. that starts the problem. just because u are smart enough to help mom and dad does not mean u can go live in the wilderness by yourself. or do as much work either. the work around for me is i build my village up so far and then add a school. that offsets the move out and marriage deal but it kills the population growth for several yrs. kinda like driving with your foot on the brake.
   anyone besides me confused now??? the best fix would b to have more ppl per house. so we can get the pop up without throwing kids out. then move the adulthood or move out age(since they must b the same) to 12.  and do we put the marry age down to 12 also?? childbearing at 15 to 45,18mths to 30 mths in between babies. but again no fix is right,everyone plays different.

kid1293

Brads - both you and elemental argue for around 40-45 for max marriage age.
Let's set it to 45. A 45 year old married to a 15 year? No big deal.

I'll skip the numbers in download and have it as a continuing beta test.

No, I wasn't more confused than I always am. :)

Edit - Done and good night.

Turis

So, am I allowed to have a 26-years-old girlfriend since I'm a single 56 y.o.? ::)

kid1293

@Turis
I can make an exception!  ;)

Nilla

I think we should make one thing clear, when you speak about marrying age; I think there are some misunderstandings. People get married at any age. It's the age difference you settle (vanilla 20 years) I think your mod 15. That means that people older than 30 do marry, just not the 15 year old.

In a proper time mod 15 years age difference will only give few problems. Everyone will find a spouse initially (unless you build far too few houses). It might get a problem if people in their 30s or 40s loose a partner by accident or a single nomad of that age arrives (nomads normally arrive in families but in rare cases there might be singles). But these cases are few and doesn't influence the game much.

And @brads3; even if your modern way of writing is quite tedious for us older people to read; as far as I understand; your suggestions of more children, earlier marrage age, bigger houses........ will of cause give a faster start, but will lead to your usual food crash earlier. If you read my second and third point in the thread abowe, you will find the reason. A small number of workers (partly uneducated because you don't build the school as more or less first building) will not be able to feed so many unproductive persons. 

kid1293

Hej Nilla!

I wrote this (the values for vanilla game):
   float _marriageAge = 2.0;  (10 years)
   float _marrigeRange = 4.0; (20 years)
   (together with last value gives max marriage age = 30 years)

You say float _marrigeRange is the difference between the partners?
I always thought it was a setting to decide the max marriage age...
Have to test that later!

Turis

*throws a dirty diaper up in the air.* :o

So now I should look for a 36 y.o. wife. I better hurry up if I want to have kids before she has menopause. ???

kid1293

I agree Turis - life is cruel.  :)

See it on the bright side. You get all the diapers yourself when older.  ;D

brads3

dont feel bad Nilla,even in school people couldn't read my notes. i have my own shorthand style. i am trying to make it better for u. i hope you are right and the food need does go up earlier. to me it would be easier to deal with. plus i think this way will make the game more consistant. it should smooth out our rollercoaster ups and downs. the old way the children become adults or go to school, slowing the population growth. and they move out but dont pair for several years later.i  take my adult workers divide by 2 to figure how many houses i need. if theres a lot of younger people, u get single people in the houses. i have found if i wait until they are about 15 to build houses, the younger singles move into the new houses and the older children stay with parents. this just keeps the original houses full and the parents won't breed. then when they age and the game catches up, you get that huge population jump and thereby the food drop.  based on what i see of KIDS #'s,the time between move out to marriage is shorter and the time to bear children is longer. the old way you have what 2 or 3 kids per house?? i have 4 with the bigger families mod. so i should get 2-3extra children per married couple.    way the game plays now,without Kids proper mod, i have a huge stash of food,too many laborers,and i can expand and build farther than i should be able to. if i did expand then i will hit a big drop off of food. the balance seems off.
     my start people are educated. after they die,i will have to check my production to see if eduaction is making a huge difference. to me you don't need much schooling to farm or hunt. you learn that at home from the parents.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on October 28, 2016, 09:19:59 AMit should smooth out our rollercoaster ups and downs.

You can avoid those easily by monitoring your early population... and once it becomes tedious to check plenty individual houses, you can apply the 1/8 rule (of thumb) and still avoid the up and down...  ;)

* The 1/8 rule says that ~1/8 of your population should be children... for me that works better than the old "build 2 houses per year". I think that slow expansion is about managing population growth, not just building slowly... in my experience, building houses to maintain a constant number of children is the way to go...

In my towns I always have a nice smooth curve, slowly going up - no sine waves... except in really large towns (1000+), where I have hundreds of laborers - at that point I get lazy and let the close monitoring slide, riding the death waves as they come, since they cannot dent my population or production or stocks... only then do I get sine waves.  :)

EDIT
And yes, edu does have a big impact, specially in your early towns (with less impact the bigger your town gets)... my very first building is always a school... the slow-down while waiting for the first graduates it definitely worth it...  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Turis

How can I modify your mod for my own use? I want to change the adulthood age at 6, graduate from school at 12, marrying age at 12 and childbearing starting at 14. I'm not asking these changes out of moral or ethics, but, for survival in extreme conditions, mainly starvation. The children die of starvation anyway so , from my point of view,  I need them to become independent at an earlier age so they don't drag their parents down.

grammycat

There is a mod by Gordon Dry named 1:1 Aging that does almost exactly what you want, but be prepared for many babies.  You can find it at Banishedinfo.com. 
I'm giving this one a try today because I like the adult age better.

Abandoned

I've been using the 1:1aging mod and liking it more than I did at first, I like that they live longer.  Like @elemental I don't mind the slower start and play at speed 1x, however I like to use kid's tiny nomad well to get extra people early, of course they are uneducated but build a school early for all children.  I have not tried this Proper Time mod yet but plan to.

kid1293

@Turis - I agree with grammycat. If you want other numbers check out 1:1 mod.