My game (with MegaMod 8) is crashing when I reach 2000-3000 population

Started by Andrei04DM, March 27, 2020, 07:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrei04DM

It happened twice to me now.
When I get to a really big population, I get a fatal error and game crashes and can not use that save anymore. Tried using the autosave, but it still gets to the point where it crashes.
I can still start new games, I jsut can not move forward with the save with the big population.
I'm using MegaMod 8.
Attached the crash dump. Can someone please help me?

brads3

this happens at different times depending on your computer. it reaches a max of how many internal calculations it will make.you did get farther than others on the total population. and no we can't read the dump file.

Andrei04DM

I'm not sure this depends on the computer configuration.

It happened on 2 different PCs, one if which is REALLY REALLY powerful - i9 processor, 32 gb RAM. The PC is used for heavy 3d rendering.

brads3

you may be right. i was thinking my TOWNS map kicked out at 1500. it was 1700 adults +children so 2300+. but they all reach a limit. nothing i could do to save the map. tried for a few days. maybe it is more related to map size then.   

theonlywanderer

It's purely random that I know of.    I had a crash occur fairly deep in to one of my all-in-one map challenges and thought for sure I was screwed.  I made a habit of saving quite often and was able to go back and find a save that made it past where the crash started and was able to continue on without issue after that.

So...  lesson you can learn... save... save... save... save... did you save yet?... well save again.... save... save.

Andrei04DM

The save and autosave both work, but after a little while they both crash (after 1-2 minutes).

Andrei04DM

Does crashing also occur in the vanilla version when the population gets high? Or is this strictly related to mods.

theonlywanderer

@Andrei04DM

Yes, my crash was using Vanilla.    Achievements don't work with mods, so the all-in-one map challenge has to be done with Vanilla.

As for the save, you can save more than once.  If you're creating a large settlement you should be saving quite often.  You will than have multiple files you can try and hopefully one will continue past the problem.   Obviously it still may not solve the issue, but gives you the best chances.

Milksoup

I'm about to abandon my town of about 1200 as it's starting to run too slow (not crashing).   I don't know if  it's the mods (I've got one that set map size to huge... Which besides my townfolk is a lot of trees to grow and fall in the forest)... I'm also running the tequila mod which someone commented caused lower fps for them.  Performance dropped suddenly at the 1000 people mark... From good to slow almost over night.  I've got a decent gaming laptop.  Not too of line but thought it should have handled more.  I remember getting up to 2k people on my older slower computer.

Time to uninstall a few mods and try again.

Nilla

My guess is that it´s the huge map that´s causing the early lags, as you suspect yourself. I have built larger towns with and without mods and I don´t have a "supercomputer" (and the one I had before was really old and bad)  My experience is that it´s not primarily the mods that are making the game slower but the maps are. That´s the reason I rarely play on large maps and I have never used a huge map. If you like to, you can build a town with 5k people on a small map so I see no reason.

brads3

if you aren't crashing,maybe there is a way to speed it back up. at least, try to figure out what is causing the slowdown. you didn't mention what speed setting you are using. i assume it is high. if it is not, try to move it up to 10x and see if it does help. you can play with graphic control settings.

couple things that should help- if you think it is a particular mod or building,move away from it. click a corner of the map and zoom all the way in, does this increase the speed? move to the center of a lake,no trees,zoom in again. did that make a difference? if not then it is a calculation causing the slow down not graphics. did you build something,just before the slowdown happened?

i have a trick to speeding the game up. play in windowed mode instead of full screen.plan things and then unpause the game.now minimize the game window. after a couple minutes, maximize the window and pause the game. how much game time has gone by? this takes practice to figure out how long to let the game run minimized but does speed things along quickly. you might want to svae more often in case the game takes off on you.