News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The North Some Tips

Started by ashenedlake, January 19, 2017, 11:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashenedlake

Okay I just started playing banished to the north mod and it is so much more challenging. Hats of to the people who made it. It starts quite simple but it becomes more complicated as you go deeper. I haven't reached that far into the game and I'm already stuck at the start of brick making industry. It seems that I need roof tiles and bricks to actually build a brick maker which was a bit of a surprise. And to top that firewood only costs like  2 per unit. I've seen other village posts and and they look great with all the brick house. So my point is it would be great if someone could give some tips on how they manage to trade with firewood or if there are some other trade good I should go with as trading shnaps from potatoes doesn't seem good in such an unforgiving environment. Sorry if I'm asking too much but I searched for answers but failed to find any.

Abandoned

@ashenedlake , there are many posts related to The North that are very helpful.  There is one in this category 6 threads down from this one, and another under Mod Discussions called Nordic Landscape and several towns of Nilla's are described in the Village Blogs section, lots of helpful information. Good luck with your town.

Nilla

I'm kind of testpilot for the North mod from @Tom Sawyer. I like it very much. First because it makes the game more challenging and second because I'm Swedish and the buildings look like they do in my neighborhood. I can give you some brief advice. If you want it more in detail, @Abandoned told you where to find more information.

- You have to buy some bricks and rooftiles to be able to produce bricks.

I don't know what climate and starting conditions, you're using. It depends a bit from the possibilities of farming and if you have sheep from the start, what trading goods are suitable. But you've already figured out, that some of the "truths" from vanilla gameplay, should be forgotten, like selling firewood and ale.

Two important changes from vanilla trade is:

-The merchants want to make a profit! They sell the goods to a higher price, than they pay you. (Example if you buy firewood, it cost 3 if you barter trade it, as you say, you only get 2)
-There are coins. You need them, if you want to buy seeds and animals, and for the general gameplay more important; you get the higher selling price for some of your goods, if you sell them to the merchant, that pays you coins. Different merchants pay more for different goods and some goods are never payed high.

This is what I use to sell:

At the start: logs (12/9), venison (6/4), salmon (2/1), mushrooms(4/3)   (12/9) means 12 if you sell it to the right export merchant 9 if you use it to barter or sell it to the wrong merchant.

A little later: charcoal (8/6), apples (4/6) if mild or fair climate, wool (12/10)/reindeerhides (20/15)/reindeercoats(36/24), mutton(3/2) (if I have sheep) maybe also woolcoats but no merchant pay the higher price.

Late game; steeltools(52/40), Nordic coats (56/42), beer or schnapps from rye (8/6)  (I'm not 100% sure about all trade values but they are about these numbers)

The main strategy is to sell and buy for coins if possible and only if you're desperate barter trade. But if you have uneducated workers; it's  a loss to sell any complicated goods, like tools. In that case better rely on the simple products.

I wish you much luck with your Nordic settlement. It would be nice to know, how it's getting along and see some pictures.

ashenedlake

Thanks for those points Nilla and I had a look those villages you said about Abandoned. I hope I can make mime as beautiful as them.