News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Help a newbie!

Started by jesta030, January 22, 2017, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesta030

Does banished recognize Texture mapping at all? Blenders cycles engine hast this System that allows to move, rotate and scale textures in the uvmap and thus on the unwrapped Faces. I used this to scale the Wall texture to half Size after I scaled the UV unwrap to half Size aswell. The UV scaling Carrier over to banished but the Texture scaling didnt.

How do you use Multiple textures when banished doesnt recognize Multiple UV maps or Texture scaling?

RedKetchup

for sure it does reconize the UV unwrap, i am doing all the time, i dont use a single texture without UV mapping it all sides. the only thing is doesnt reconize when you click and try to multiply 3-4 times the texture over the piece... it needs to be done differently, uv map => quick peel, and you overlap the other part ontop the first part.

kid1293 and other ones use blender... they can explain that better than i cause even i make you screenshot from 3dsmax.... you wont understand me
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

the butcher tent i made lately in last big mod.... you can see i use 12 different textures of all the parts i did put in that mesh ...
at top screenshot, you can see all the green squares "diffuse" , each one is designated to a specific .png

and in screen2 you can see each one they have been re UVWrapped accordingly.

unfortunately, i cant tell you how to do it with blender

jesta030

yeah i know, thanks for taking the time to help me so much Red. :) I really appreciate it.

I'm really close to getting the whole thing into Banished if only the textures would be at the correct location and scale like they are in blender. I found out how to include multiple textures and the whole thing builds without problems but in banished all the textures are either black or distorted...

i could just unwrap all faces, align/scale all textures and bake everything (even including AO) into one single image, make a new material for it and apply that to the whole model. but i'd loose so much detail plus the chance to reuse the texture files on other houses to save size...

maybe someone who uses blender can chime in and give me that last hint how to properly map the textures...

jesta030

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 09, 2017, 11:02:17 AM
and in screen2 you can see each one they have been re UVWrapped accordingly.

i can see that in the top right corner of the UV window it says "Map #7 RKMtentroof.png" which suggests that you're using at least 7 UV maps... i know how to properly unwrap stuff, even to different UV maps and the model is totally fine in blender, but the problem is that none of this carries over to banished it sems. :(

RedKetchup

there is surely something you dont do or forget to do ... to make it "official" or "apply"...
personally , once i edited the uvwrap of an item... i right click and make it "convert into editable poly" to apply my changes permanently...

RedKetchup

like this screenshot

thats my way to apply the changes permanently...

but it is in 3dsmax so doesnt help you

kid1293

I use Blender but have no experience from cycles engine.
I've tested but I had enough to try to get the grips on so I left.

Do you always scale the textures?
I do textures first to be able to stack several UV's on
limited texture. I should say I usually use one texture.
I'm good at guessing the size of individual items and
make a habit of extra large texture pieces for very visible things
like door and windows.
I've never had the need to scale textures. I scale the UV's and match
them to the texture.

If all is black. Check the normals.
All can be black with baked AO too. Very black.
If you take RK's advice on an all-white AO you can later enhance your
texturefiles by hand. They are rather 'bleak' in game compared to Blender window.
So try some contrast and darken a little. (without AO that is)

Hang in there, it will come to you!

jesta030

i have successfully used one 1024 texture that had all faces unwrapped onto it. It showed up fine in banished.

but i want to know how to use multiple textures. for example I want to have a window texture that i can just Color differently on every house. or a seamless brick/thatched Roof/Wood texture. that way if i want to modify a texture i dont have to mess around in gimp/photoshop but just Change a material in blender.

i know how to include multiple textures when building. it builds fine. the only Problem is that banished doesnt recognize the scale/Rotation/Location of the textures that i defined in blender.

:(

kid1293

I don't really understand. It's the UV you scale/rotate.
I can only send an example I did in Blender.
Multiple textures (the paths are wrong, you have to load them up one by one)
You can see that I made a basic market stall with several textures all mapped.
Under that mesh I put (don't know the name) 'sub-meshes' with food. Also with
different textures. All mapped individually. That's the way I did it earlier.
Then you write code for the top mesh only. And for all those textures. :)

I have to go now, but will check later.

jesta030

Quote from: kid1293 on February 09, 2017, 04:17:30 PM
I can only send an example I did in Blender.

highly appreciated. cant look at it now since im at work but the pics included suggest thats exactly what im looking for. thanks in advance!

jesta030

okay, i get it. the way im texturing in blender isnt carrying over to banished because Blenders cycles engine nodes System (see pic) only works inside blender and isnt exported...

RedKetchup

jesta030

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 10, 2017, 02:22:47 PM
Quote from: jesta030 on February 10, 2017, 02:13:18 PM
okay, i get it.

sweet !!

Yeah, it took a while. Since ure online, another question. :D

is it possible to use decals like a bit of moss, or some dirt and put them on top of a texture i use while keeping them in separate Images? the decal would have transparency and just act like a second layer of texture with exact Placement...

kid1293

In Blender yes but export to game no.
We're limited to what the game wants as input.
On the other hand I have never thought about it.
But I'm sure I've never seen a double texture in game.

Can't you put your decal on in an external paint program?