News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Discussions 1.0.7

Started by RedKetchup, February 16, 2017, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanypredator

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2017, 01:08:28 AM
Yes, that's my problem with the new button too. As player I want to build a house from the housing toolbar and a chicken coop from food production (for example). But the new flags are not a problem. They are not used in a vanilla based game and not shown in the status bar then. Only if a mod will add it there.

Oh, that is great!

Abandoned

@tanypredator I for one will continue using your mods, I especially love the blue flax, and the way I understand it, they can be used by those who update.  I would be disappointed if you stopped modding (when time permits).  I doubt I will update to 1.0.7. so will miss out on many new mods, especially ones I have been waiting for.  Oh well.  Whatever you decide, New Flora with wild bees is wonderful.  Thank you for delightful mods.  :)

Tom Sawyer

I will definitely use the new flags @Hawk. They solve storage/trading problems and make new things possible. At the moment I want to create some new buildings for the next version. Then I will look at the flagging. Not sure I was with the changes in the toolbar and if I will use the new button. But for the North it's probably not useful.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2017, 10:57:52 AM
I will definitely use the new flags @Hawk. They solve storage/trading problems and make new things possible. At the moment I want to create some new buildings for the next version. Then I will look at the flagging. Not sure I was with the changes in the toolbar and if I will use the new button. But for the North it's probably not useful.

will you make it kinda compatible with CC ... me... kid ... disc ?
i will post what we decided for our mods :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Hawk

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2017, 10:57:52 AM

That's great Tom. I guess I misunderstood your previous post.
I can see where most folks using The North would most likely run it as a separate game, with it's own list of mods. Like this, it wouldn't conflict with CC if you use your own toolbar and flags, or would it?  :-\

Personally, I have a separate install of Banished just for The North, already patched to 1.07 beta, patiently waiting for the update(s).  :)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Tom Sawyer

Thank you for posting the flagging table. I will see how it works for me. Compatible with CC is not possible anyway. I want it to work with NMT, Small Village, Row houses and all other matching mods. I'm sure there will be a good solution. With the new toolbar I also see no problem. :)

kralyerg

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 20, 2017, 05:03:18 PM
Compatible with CC is not possible anyway.

I'm confused about this.  In what way can it not be possible to be compatible with CC but is possible to be compatible with NMT, DSSV and Row Houses?  It's fairly easy to make all three of those completely compatible with CC, but it's impossible for you?  I'm not trying to criticize anything, I just am genuinely confused.

brads3

there are several  reasons why CC and the NORTH conflict. TOM designed and built the NORTH with a lot of unique ideas to make it more challenging. without taking codes from other mods, he chnaged many of the normal production numbers to beter reflect the harsh climates people of the north countries of EUROPE had to endure including changing deer to reindeer. not only  does this affect the overall crop yields,but individual crops grow slower than others.the landscape,the fish,mulitple start menu options,etc. also went thru several changes. this project took several months. Graciously,TOM  did give us several building mods that could be played without using the NORTh completely.
    the NORTH can be played with CC,however it does have several conflicts that will lead to fatal errors. some buildings will not function,others will but not correctly. a player must remember the crop production is heavily affected by what climate you choose from the start. iron ore in the NORTH is iron bloom.not only is the name different but it looks different as well. this conflictcan cause errors and the buildings to process the ore will not function.there are also gremlin errors that seem to happen at random. i have tried to recreate the error and figure out what caused them. the gremlins seem to be due to 1 program fighting with the other and not a particular building or item.
     like CC,the NORTH is not just a building mod. it goes much deeper in making changes on how the game plays overall. where CC takes climates and starts from several parts of the world and adds them to a map, the NORTH takes 1 area and changes each function individually to fit that aea.

kralyerg

I understand that they're currently not very compatible, I just question the phrasing that it's impossible to be compatible.

I know that multiple mods can't both contribute starting conditions, terrains, and climates, but I think that if Tom wanted to, we could absolutely make them compatible.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for explanation @brads3. We had this discussion and I think modders and players understand why it is not possible to play CC and North at the same time. Both mods are changing the whole environment and balancing. They create different themes. And not only starting conditions, climates and maps are incompatible @kralyerg. With terrain textures, ambient sounds, wild animals, resource spawning, temperature dependence, trade values, production numbers and so on it's the same. To make the Nordic mod compatible would mean to give up all ideas and to remove everything specific which conflicts with CC. The rest would be some red models.

With other mods it works better because they add things without changing the game in this way. But if they do this they become incompatible too. You are probably the most experienced modder here and you know about it. So I don't understand what for you say that I just don't want. I spent a lot of time making things compatibel and to support other mods. As far as possible they are adapted to produce Nordic resources and to work in the trading system for example. Most of my buildings I made available as separate mods to use them in CC or in a vanilla based game. That's the way to have it compatible. And I'm sure some players also would like to see a few buildings from CC separated to use them in vanilla or nordic games. Let's think modular and work together.

kralyerg

Absolutely.  There are no specifics yet, but the general idea is that for the next version off CC is to make it more modular. I don't know yet if that means split it into 3 pieces or 10 pieces, but it will be something.

I didn't mean that you should change everything of yours to make it 100% compatible with CC. I do think everyone understands about the starts and climates and things, but I don't see why any of the buildings themselves need to be incompatible.

Like if you played with The North above CC, why should it ever crash?

As I'm writing this I think that I'm using the word "compatible" in 2 different ways. Like DSSV v2 has its own start conditions so it's not compatible, but it's still compatible, because it won't crash anything to use both, even if some options are missing.

I thinks that's probably where my confusion lies, of course not all options can be present at once, but I can't think of a reason why both The North and CC buildings can't be built on the same map with nothing crashing.

That's what I meant by.compatible. "can the two mods be used successfully together without crashing the game". That's the part that I think we can make work.

brads3

i like the idea of CC being more modular.  one of the advantages of CC is the huge variety of buildings. gives the player a lot more options. it would be a task to try to split it into different parts. tedious and time consuming. there is lots of players that like to play with different buildings styles from time to time but they feel overwhelmed by the production chains and having so many items. i'm sure they would enjoy having modular options.
     i agree with KRALYERG's theory. the mod placed above in mod order should overpower and setup the game. any mod after that should add to the game but not be able to change what the 1st mod set. i have found this is more of a guide than a true function.when the north is above cc it seems to fatal error and crash more than if cc is above.
    as to why the  NORTH and CC error and conflict, many of the errors seem to be due to terms inside codes. 1 in particular is the use of "iron ore" as opposed to "iron bloom". i'm not a modder but my understanding is as it reads thru the code the item can have 1 name and then what it says on the screen to us may be different. i think this is where the 2 have problems. some of the items have different names on the screen but i think thru the code there are some that have the same terms.the program gets confused. nobody wants to see either of you take the time to rewrite the entire game code to match the other persons codes.

brads3

on the idea of making the game more modular, how far can we take it without causing conflicts???  i would like to see a large map that can be used independantly. so far CC has the largest map without causing errors.  can the map be made any bigger?? can it be done so no matter what way or mods you use,you can still have the large map? the ultimate idea would be to have mountains to the top,hills and valleys toward the middle and faltter terrain as well. a mixture on 1 map,thou i doubt possable. it seems some of the start settings can be controlled with a mod and yet some can not.
     is it even possable for the player to choose map size,terrain,number of banis,lakes,etc before setting what main mod they want to use?? say they had a list of mods they could pick from and use 1 mod to set the map size,1 to set the hills or lakes,1 to set the plants and trres,1 to set how many banis they had or if they had housing,etc? would the game read those above and instead of loading just CC or the NORTH's start conditions?

kid1293

It is not possible to have mountain/lake/plain in separate files.
It's all under one paragraph in the modkit. And you know - the first to
change it wins.

But trees can be separate and bannies too.

adelegarland

I'm very confused...   I'm kind of a novice although I've been playing a long time...   I've used Tree of life to add in other species and the Adam and Eve start up. Most of the new animals from the training camp and the butcher shop won't show up in the game.    I don't understand, do I need to use only one  person's mods to make it work?   Do i need to use other peoples specific mods to make it work...   I've got about 100 mods installed, most showing red on the Mod list....   but not crashing.  I LOVE the new stuff!!!   want to use it!!!  Just don't understand which ones go with which others.   HELP!
BTW: not using cc or north...
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.