Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ground covering - inside buildings

Started by QueryEverything, March 01, 2017, 11:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: kralyerg on March 03, 2017, 07:05:59 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on March 03, 2017, 01:54:47 PM
Ghost objects dont have a decal "texture" cause their size are 0 tile and needs to be from a 3d object, as thin as it needs too.

The ghost ground squares I made are just planes with a texture attached to them, they have 0 height.

it is still a 3d object called by a "model mesh function" as thin as they are : plane with 0 height.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

For those that don't want to be placing 1 x 1 x 1 down a road, or in a large building space, perhaps have a couple of 'roads' be made like the dock pieces:  1 x 1; 1 x 2; 1 x 3; 1 x 4 etc, that way we can place more pieces quicker, without having little tiny individual tiles everywhere.

I really love the texture @kid1293 uses in his Large Trader, but he has said he can't make it into a layable road, but, something like that could be made into the 'ghosted overlay', and it look like a road, and rather than just taking 1 1x2 section from it, a 1 x3 or as above could be done.  (just a throw it out there thought).

By changing the way these roadways can be laid, we could have some more diversity.

At the moment my issue is that layout of the wells, and the Nomad Well I have.  I want to put it in the middle of the market place area I am designing, but I can't place it on a road, and as such I have the map texture in it's place.  I have since started using the CC option that @grammycat suggested, and it works, but there are still only very limited pieces.

I know ... I ask a lot, but, as an idea, moving forward, how hard would it be (genuinely asking) for road makers to also add a 'ghosted decorative' piece into their mod, to allow the continuation of the road into a building, or a market place?

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

kralyerg

Quote from: QueryEverything on March 03, 2017, 07:27:09 PM
I know ... I ask a lot, but, as an idea, moving forward, how hard would it be (genuinely asking) for road makers to also add a 'ghosted decorative' piece into their mod, to allow the continuation of the road into a building, or a market place?

It's not that it's particularly difficult, but it's a completely different process. As RedKetchup was describing, they're two completely different things, not just something you can just make a little tweak to the first to create the second.

QueryEverything

Thank you @kralyerg :) 
I am learning a lot the last few days about modding for the game (I still won't be able to mod), but I enjoy the learning part about how it all fits together :D 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, all of you :)

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Many months ago, @elemental asked me about making some ghost pieces and even longer ghost curved/corner road pieces to match my DS Roads. I started it, but getting them to line up is very difficult.
It is something that I will return to one day, but as it is now, they are only decorative, will not influence how the bannies walk, so to me are pretty low on my list of things to mod.

RedKetchup

i was playing a bit tonight with roads.... and with a texture..... there is something i dont understand.

if i do a mod that add a stone road texture.... it has its own icon , on its own toolbar.... i click it and click and drag on the ground (scalable as many tiles you want....) and then the "builders" build it ....

everything there is ok.

but what i dont understand, it is when : if i do a real vanilla stone road somewhere else... all the tiles i made with my own road.... everything... .instantly swap texture to the vanilla stone road :S
and if after i do even 1 tile of my own texture ... everything switch back to my texture, even the vanilla one i made they switch to mine :S

is there something i do bad ?? or it is already like this for all the mods that add a new stoneroad texture ?
and can only exist ONE stone road texture per map ??

RedKetchup

LOL

i just put ON CC 1.72.... and their stone roads dont disappear and switch ....

and the most stunnning... mine stop to switch back :S too

and when i take out CC .... mine restart to switch texture asap i put vanilla one :S

@kralyerg  ?? any idea ??

Discrepancy

I think I have it right:

there is a part of code in the road template file:

CreateRoadDescription createroad
{
   uchar _index = 122;
   ComponentDescription _rawMaterial = "Template/RawMaterialStone.rsc";
}

whatever road has the same uchar _index = #; number, will replace all others of the same.

whatever uchar _index = #; number is lower, will be buildable over a higher number.

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on March 15, 2017, 03:23:13 AMwhatever uchar _index = #; number is lower, will be buildable over a higher number.

Kralyerg made a list of those index#... still searching for it...  here -

EDIT

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/767-roads/#comment-2428

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Alright :) THANKS YOU BOTH !!!! @Discrepancy  and @Paeng  :)

i would never guessed that alone :-X

QueryEverything

Over on BL someone requested a round end to the road, so a separate piece would need to be made (I'm guessing, unless you can program the road to 'round on end'), would it work in theory?  Or do each piece need to be square?

RedKetchup

Necora

I don't think you can do it with the road, it would have to be a separate piece like the coverings mentioned previously.

The road tiles are placed on a large texture, seemingly at random. I've no idea how the game chooses where to put each tile on the texture.

QueryEverything

embx61

QuoteYeah, "Roadbound"... it's a pet peeve of many players (myself included) when you cannot draw a driveway or a plaza etc. right up to or even inside a building... Roadbound did a sort of "traffic-enabling" (term borrowed from SC) by extending those little green arrows all the way. It was kept up in CC for a few iterations, but then slowly "died"... not sure, it might be a tedious thing for the modders to do...?

That's where the ghosted groundtiles GrammyCat mentions come in handy... I recently mentioned my dream to have all ground textures available as ghosted items (in a standalone mod for easy updates, as these textures always change or expand).  :)

Yeah, that is why I decided to most of my newer buildings are build in such a way that roads get very close or even a bit under the walls.
Only thing with that is that Bannies cut corners and walk through the walls on the corners if the road is too close.

But if I understand it right, ghosting roads is possible to tile over about anything?
I am not able to make ghost stuff yet as I don't know how to do it code wise.
I shall ask RedKetchup or Kralyerg for an example when they get some time to send me one so I can learn that.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]