News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

F-Variants, Points, and Blender

Started by Necora, March 03, 2017, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

Hello everyone.

I have a question for any expert blender users out there, @Discrepancy @kid1293 and @Tom Sawyer I believe you all use blender? If so, you might be able to help me.

I have made saw mill to straddle a small stream (picture attached). It came out nice, but one issue is that it only really works visually with the stream going in 1 direction, the other direction makes the stream go the wrong way through the gates.

I'm a sucker for visuals so I want to add an F-variant to the building with a mirrored version, so it can be used on both banks of the stream. The problem with F-variants in Blender, that I am coming across, is that I cannot get points to work. @ShockPuppet over at Black Liquid showed me how to do it in 3ds Max... if the points are attached to the building, you can have multiple families called 'points'. In Blender, however, even if you make the mesh the parent of the points, you still can't have more than one thing called 'points', it always changes it to 'points.001' which is not read by the game.

I had this issue trying to get smoke points to change position with F-variants, and never got it to work so gave up and made the chimney in the same place. Do any of you know how to do it? Is there a way to get it done in blender, or in the template file can I put multiple instances in the interact description part?

It is this, or I have to make two toolbar instances which I don't really want to do.

Cheers.

N.

RedKetchup

there was a post somewhere on this forum and i cant find it :( pretty sure it was discussed inside it to do it with blender.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

I had a discussion with kral (and RK too) and I really tried but never succeded
to put points under each model. Even if you rename them you have no way to call
two of them from the template-file. I was forced to multiple toolbar buttons.

Tom Sawyer

I made different smoke points for F variants of the red cottage in Blender. You just need different fbx files for your variants with 'smoke' under 'mesh' and without a path to the point list in the particle section. For the other points I don't know but probably Kid would have found it if possible. I thought about the same with my water mill which is constructed in a similar way but it's hard to notice this detail on the map and if a player wants to build it perfectly he also can rotate it to the other side of the creek.

RedKetchup

in 3ds too, only the smoke point can follow its mesh. i never succeeded to switch "use_00x" points

but if you cant have a point named points same thing as another named points, will be same thing as a point named smoke if you have another named smoke.

if you want to do variants, you dont need absolutely to put all the meshes in same .fbx

do 1 fbx with one mesh and put the pointlist file to it. all the other fbx files have just a point named smoke "attached" or "connect" to your other mesh called "mesh" and in your template, under particle, dont put a pointlist there.

it should follow your different smoke points.

Necora

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It is a good idea of multiple .fbx for different smoke points, I'll give that a go on the next bunch of houses. Shame it won't work for the use points too. I'll just leave this as 1 building no variants for now, if people want/need the mirror then I'll add it in the future.

Thanks!

RedKetchup

Quote from: Necora on March 04, 2017, 06:15:53 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

It is a good idea of multiple .fbx for different smoke points, I'll give that a go on the next bunch of houses. Shame it won't work for the use points too. I'll just leave this as 1 building no variants for now, if people want/need the mirror then I'll add it in the future.

Thanks!

bah if you look closely, the vanilla houses do the same thing... the smokes follow but not the use_00x