News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartender

Quote from: tiero001 on May 26, 2017, 04:38:56 AM
can u give alternative download link other than drop box??

im having problms with the site  :(
Welcome Tiero :). The alternative download link in the description is a google drive link (this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZePVZCUPiuamo5S2JnSHpyamM), does that work?

Bartender

It has been well over a week since our last update, so Sneak Peek #6 is long overdue!

The crowd: "You're late!"

Me: "A coding wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

Due to real life activities I am personally a bit short on time at the moment, but for the past two weeks @despo_20 and I have been working hard on several parts of the mod. We will present these to you, and we have an announcement to make, so bear with us!

The completion of the basic Grasses & Reeds Production Chain

The last new building of our production chain, the fish trap, has been completed. It can be constructed on small streams, and requires wood and reed to be built. It is meant as a cheap fishing option that doesn't require thatch. It also has a durability tied to the amount of fish caught, after which the trap breaks and needs to be rebuilt.

As @despo_20  has designed so many wonderful new buildings for this chain, we felt that my old model for the Thatcher didn't quite fit in anymore. Therefore, it has received a completely new design, in the same style as the Reaper's Shed that we've shown before. This updated version will utilize grass bales or reed bundles to produce thatch.

And with that, our basic chain is completed! We already have quite a few plans for expansion, but this is what we'll be releasing first. Here's a complete flowchart of the chain:

Rebellious Crops

Based on an excellent suggestion by @QueryEverything, we have decided to revive an outdated mod made by OwlChemist, who is unfortunately no longer active as a modder for Banished. His 'Pesky Produce' mod made crops and orchard trees have a slight chance of seeding outside of their fields. This is highly realistic behaviour (plants tend not to care about artificial boundaries), and therefore fits perfectly with our goal of Natural Diversity. The crops growing outside of the fields can be harvested with a new 'clear foods' and the regular 'clear trees' toolbar buttons.

Version 1.1 release

With our basic production chain finished, we have decided to start moving towards the release of NatDiv version 1.1! Everything we've shown so far will be included in the new version, along with some other tiny things we didn't show yet. A full list of all the new and updated features will follow. The coming week(s) we will focus on polishing and testing, after which we will release an open Beta to let you have a taste and for us to gather your highly valuable feedback!

kid1293

despo_20

Quote from: kid1293 on June 01, 2017, 09:04:41 AM
And bushes... ?
Bushes? Where did we put the bushes?  ???

;D

They're under development  ;)

brads3

i like how you give us a taste now and then of progress. the charts are super informative. it will be nice to have reeds back. i think mine are dead at the moment. there are oddities to my maps that appear to be caused by the NAT DIV mod.i have to test more maps before i list them. i need more evidence.lol.   is the pesky produce optional? did you see NECORA'S latest developments? he is fixing it so all gatherers can collect the various items.
can the names of the coding files, like the resource file,be named so they can work with adam and eve start settings and not just vanilla?

QueryEverything

I wrote over on the BL thread as well, but thought it only fitting to also post my thanks here as well.  :)

Thank you !! 
Excellent news @Bartender & @despo_20  :D  The buildings look excellent, the concept is wonderful (yes, more uses for the reeds!), and I'm thoroughly happy that you picked up Pesky, and created your own "Rebellious Crops"  Love the name!  Those little suckers were definitely rebellious ;)

I look forward to seeing the mod in the Download section ... 

Coming to a File near you ... hahaha ;)

Oh, and the modders here are all Wizards :D

Hahaha, bushes, @kid1293 I'm so glad someone else remembered to ask :D ;)

I know I have said this before, but thank you to you both for making the mod in such a way that it works as a stand-alone, but also as a companion mod to other mods, a larger piece of the puzzle.  It does take a group effort to do so (sharing resource info etc), and can sometimes misdirect your own needs (even if only for a moment), so it's fantastic to see when the co-development does work out, thank you very much :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Wow! I love the look of that fish trap, great model. Inspiring  :)

elemental

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 01, 2017, 07:18:48 PM

Agreed. The small creeks are somewhat underutilised in the game. This will help bring them to life.

despo_20

Thank you all!  :)

Quote from: elemental on June 01, 2017, 07:48:47 PM
Agreed. The small creeks are somewhat underutilised in the game. This will help bring them to life.
Valorising the small creeks is one of our goals. Fish trap and Reed farm can only be built on small creeks  ;)

Bartender

Thank you for the kind replies everyone :)! It's always great to see the buzz that our updates generate :).

Quote from: kid1293 on June 01, 2017, 09:04:41 AM
And bushes... ?

Uuuhm.. yes.. bushes. :o

*searches frantically through his files*

Yes I have those here somewhere.. They are just uuuhm... :-[

*searching intensifies*

Ahh yes.. They are uuhm... still in production. We most certainly did not forget to include them in the post or anything like that :-X.

There will be news on the bushes soon ;).

Quote from: brads3 on June 01, 2017, 10:14:02 AM
i like how you give us a taste now and then of progress. the charts are super informative. it will be nice to have reeds back. i think mine are dead at the moment. there are oddities to my maps that appear to be caused by the NAT DIV mod.i have to test more maps before i list them. i need more evidence.lol.   is the pesky produce optional? did you see NECORA'S latest developments? he is fixing it so all gatherers can collect the various items.
can the names of the coding files, like the resource file,be named so they can work with adam and eve start settings and not just vanilla?
If you're using NatDiv then wild resources introduced by CC for example won't be growing on the map indeed, at least not for the vanilla starting conditions. Similarly, the NatDiv resources won't be growing naturally on the CC starting conditions. We have plans for some changes to the starying conditions, but those probably won't be included in this update.

The pesky produce is intended to be a core feature of the mod, so not optional. Personally I see it as a realism improvement that doesn't actually change the gameplay that much, but if there is high aversion towards it we could always concider alternative ways of releasing this.

Quote from: QueryEverything on June 01, 2017, 07:00:25 PM
I know I have said this before, but thank you to you both for making the mod in such a way that it works as a stand-alone, but also as a companion mod to other mods, a larger piece of the puzzle.  It does take a group effort to do so (sharing resource info etc), and can sometimes misdirect your own needs (even if only for a moment), so it's fantastic to see when the co-development does work out, thank you very much :D
This is what I love about this community! The overal willingness to co-operate, to share knowledge and to encourage each other make it a rare thing to find :).

Quote from: elemental on June 01, 2017, 07:48:47 PM
Quote from: Discrepancy on June 01, 2017, 07:18:48 PM

I got rather excited when @despo_20 proposed this idea, and he made it look even greater than I hoped it would be ;D. We indeed felt that it was a shame that the vanilla game has no function for the small streams, other than to limit pathing and construction. We hope that changing this creates more meaningful options and more optimal land use ;).

DesoPL

This mod could work with CC or not? Looks promising.

Gatherer

Quote from: Bartender on June 02, 2017, 09:09:00 AM

The pesky produce is intended to be a core feature of the mod, so not optional. Personally I see it as a realism improvement that doesn't actually change the gameplay that much, but if there is high aversion towards it we could always concider alternative ways of releasing this.

Will the plants "jump" over fences?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

QueryEverything

Quote from: DesoPL on June 02, 2017, 09:56:25 AM
This mod could work with CC or not? Looks promising.
I have it playing with CC @DesoPL but, it doesn't work with custom starts, only the Vanilla stars (Easy, Medium, Valleys etc etc), it works fine with the food chains etc. 

Quote from: Gatherer on June 02, 2017, 02:27:58 PM
Quote from: Bartender on June 02, 2017, 09:09:00 AM

Will the plants "jump" over fences?
In essence, if @Bartender is going by the original idea, then yes, essentially.
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1733.0  -- is the topic I started requesting PP get a new life, and explains the original mod a bit more. :)

I was using Pesky Produce until Banished 10.7 was released, when it bugged out, and it would randomly spawn whatever was in the fields, out in the wild, so wheat in the field, would spawn random wheat tufts in random places on the map.  It would only spawn what was available to you, what you had unlocked & planted, not things still locked.
It also did it from the orchards as well.

The idea is that naturally food, (orchards & fields) can't be contained completely, so in the wild you would find random trees etc because a bird or a wind gust, nature, would pick up a seed etc and then drop it.
When I was little I remember mum always battling the pumpkins, hahaha, oh & her tomato plants.
The cat would get into the tomatoes, get caught and drop the tomato she was eating seeds & all, on her way back to the house, and over time and years, mum would find odd food & vines growing in the backyard (we eventually realised it was the cat, lol).  So, this sort of mod & add-in makes perfect sense :D

Ya know, I do have to get a photo of the Blackberry bush, must get Jnr to go and take a photo next time he lets the sheep in the field.  :D Just so Bartender has some more bush inspiration ;)

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Bartender

I was going to reply to the questions here, but @QueryEverything already answered them perfectly :).

Abandoned

@Bartender great looking addition to the game this will be.   :)  I just hope my real life garden will reseed like that, so much rain can't even get it planted and it's June already.  Been growing fruits and vegetables for 40 some years.