News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fellow Villager

Well, it's a grear additon.
Do You Think To use it with something similar To domesticaTed animali?
Speaking about Grass Bale as food

Bartender

We currently don't have any plans to include domesticated animals, but we might at some point make a link to some that exist in other mods if we can find an elegant way of doing so.

Meanwhile, it's time for Sneak Peek 6b:

As promised, here's an update on the berry bushes, as well as the reveal of a new wild resource as a little extra ;). A while ago, we showed the first new berry bush variant, which was the Northern Highbush Blueberry. The second variant that will be added is a slightly smaller species, the Black Huckleberry.

To refresh the memory, or to create a new one if you haven't read the earlier post; these bushes drop berries on the ground, which can be harvested by the vanilla gatherer. The bushes themselves can be harvested for a small amount of firewood when in dire need.

Falling leaves

We concider the work on these bushes as somewhat of a test, before we start on their larger cousins in an overhaul of the trees. As part of this, I've played around with a longstanding wish of mine regarding the seasonal behaviour. In the vanilla situation, when the deciduous trees lose their leaves, these simply disappear. As you may observe in the video below, the leaves that fall from these bushes will stay on the ground at their base, and get snowed over as winter comes. They then disappear again when spring arrives and the bushes make new leaves.

https://webmshare.com/play/AdYxQ

Falling branches

Another addition that we did in preparation for when we head into the forest, are these branches that will occasionally spawn below the trees. The can be gathered manually for a small amount of firewood too, but will not have a specific gatherer associated with them. Our aim is to have these, together with the bushes, compensate for the smaller amount of trees on the map with our mod. At the same time, we do not want to make it too easy to build a supply of fuel, so these will not spawn very frequently. The balance we want to create is one where it's simply not worth it to have a worker permanently roaming the forests in search of firewood, but where sending some out to harvest in a time of need can just make the difference between surviving the winter cold or finding a frosty grave.

Gatherer

How much more food units will be gathered from a single spawn location to compensate for continuously adding more and more different resources?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Discrepancy

Quote from: Bartender on June 04, 2017, 09:42:17 AM
... I've played around with a longstanding wish of mine regarding the seasonal behaviour. In the vanilla situation, when the deciduous trees lose their leaves, these simply disappear. As you may observe in the video below, the leaves that fall from these bushes will stay on the ground at their base, and get snowed over as winter comes. They then disappear again when spring arrives and the bushes make new leaves.

https://webmshare.com/play/AdYxQ

This is great! love it :)

Abandoned

Oh my gosh, those berry bushes with falling leaves, and love the fallen branches, small amount of firewood to gather, perfect, love it   :) 

If you are considering another wild berry there is the elderberry in US & Canada, Europe too, used for pie, jelly, and elderberry wine. The pretty lacey white flower is edible and considered medicinal and can be dipped in batter and served with syrup.  I saw some blooming along the road side just the other day.  :)

despo_20

Quote from: Gatherer on June 04, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
How much more food units will be gathered from a single spawn location to compensate for continuously adding more and more different resources?
We are testing the mod to find the correct balance of natural resources  ;)

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 05, 2017, 05:15:28 AM
This is great! love it :)
It's very great indeed! The magician made another magic!

Quote from: Abandoned on June 05, 2017, 05:53:08 AM
If you are considering another wild berry there is the elderberry in US & Canada, Europe too, used for pie, jelly, and elderberry wine. The pretty lacey white flower is edible and considered medicinal and can be dipped in batter and served with syrup.  I saw some blooming along the road side just the other day.  :)
Also in Italy we make elderberry flowers liquor. I love it!  ;D

Abandoned

@despo_20 I don't think I have greeted you yet on this forum, HI  :)

Bartender

Thanks for the kind words :)!

Quote from: Gatherer on June 04, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
It's actually very difficult to figure out how spawnrates of different resources affect each other, but from what I've seen so far there's no need to worry that there will be shortages of any kind in this mod ;). Nevertheless, as despo mentioned, we will test everything to make sure that all production rates stay within a healthy ballance.

Quote from: Abandoned on June 05, 2017, 05:53:08 AM

I love the syrup that is made from elderflower blossom :)! I'm trying to stick to bushes that produce blue/black berries for now, as otherwise I would have to solve some problems with the different coloured berries. This one might fit in just fine ;).

despo_20

Hi @Abandoned !

You're right. It's my fault that I never introduced myself here  :(
I started modding and talking on BL and then I started writing here as if it were the same forum  ::)

Abandoned

@despo_20 , oh not your fault at all, I missed the intro thread myself when I came on this site.  Wanted to say I like your buildings, I am behind in download mods, especially 107 versions because I haven't updated my game yet. I've used Natural Diversity light and like it a lot and look forward to the complete mod with those new buildings.  Great job.  :)

despo_20

Nilla

Maybe you already know Mr Gandalf, ;) the combination NatDiv and @RedKetchup´s fodder farm from Garden Walls Utilities work odd together. I wrote a bit about it in my blog. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1780.msg35735#msg35735

Bartender

I see in your screenshots that you are using the 1.0 Beta version @Nilla , that one indeed has a problem with Red's Garden Walls Mod. In the most recent version this has been fixed ;).

Nilla

Oh, I´m pretty shure I downloaded everything new a few days ago as I started this game, obviously I missed this one. Anyhow, I´m glad you knew it and have fixed it. It´s a nice add to the game. :) (But somehow it´s a little bit of pity, I somehow love all those big flowers, I think I will keep the old version in my files, just in case I feel a little less "real nature")  :-\ ;)

Bartender

Glad it's resolved :). To be honest, I do like the grass fields Red's fodder farm creates very much, perhaps even more than my own attempt.