News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

despo_20

Thank you guys! We await your advices to improve the mod  ;)

Abandoned

First impression, I'm impressed  :)  I just started a small test map since I am still updated but wanted a quick look-see.  The map looks very nice and lots of collectables.  I like the icons and locations on the toolbar, well done.  I didn't see the firewood branches anywhere but I didn't play very long.  I would have liked to have seen that first thatcher's hut shown on page one of this thread in the mod, or maybe a separate alternative.  It matches vanilla starting buildings so well and really looks like it uses the thatch required to build it.  Maybe a f-key roof variant on reaper, thresher, & thatcher.   Like the wild cereal, berry bushes, and rocks in the water.  As you can tell, I did more sightseeing than playing.  :)  Liked what I saw. 

taniu

@ Bartender . :) The work is done super, everything I like, berry bushes are fantastic, you can see them very clearly.  I have a lot of berries, when it comes to the branches   also do not see them. I have suggestions + wild strawberries, are similar to small strawberries, grow in the forest and in the garden, the bushes would be blue - berries and red -  wild strawberries - what you on it? :D I am sending Screenshots

Bartender

Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying it :)! If the branches are not showing up that might be because there's some other mod loaded above NatDiv that also changes the spawning of resources from the trees. They're not very conspicuous though, so maybe they're just hidden between the trees ;).

@Abandoned We decided to change the thatcher because we wanted to have all the buildings of the mod in the same style, and we felt that it didn't quite fit in anymore. Unfortunately this indeed means that they're fitting in slightly less with the vanilla buildings, though I still think that @despo_20 managed to stay true to the feeling of the game :). I've made the promise that I would also make a decoration version of all the plants in the mod once it's completed, perhaps we could include some building alternatives in there as well.

@taniu Thank you for the pictures again :), I'd still like to add more berry types at some point, but they take a bit more time to make than most plants so I didn't get round to that yet ;). Wild strawberries would definitely be a nice addition!

Abandoned

despo's building are very nice looking indeed, I just really would have liked that first little vanilla matching thatcher for town starting.  :)

kid1293

Just my two cents -

The first version where bannies could go out and reap the thatch directly
to build a home made sense. A quick way to get material for building.

Now another building has to be made before they can build shelter.
I realize it has to be done that way if you want to sort out the
wild food, which you don't get with the thatch-only option.

The food is a very positive update.
And there is reed - also used to make thatch.

All in all, it is a very realistic and solid concept, well thought,
just a bit clumsy at the start of a game.

RedKetchup

bah it need to be cheap, fast build, and allow maybe 1 citizen which work quick.
it need not to be a burden when you start a new game.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

taniu

@ Despo 20 :) The work is done super .The buildings are fantastic I really like them :D

Bartender

Thanks for the feedback again :). We are very much aware that the inclusion of the thatch production chain has a big impact on the game, specifically in the early stages. Aside from realism, this impact is part of the reason why we chose to make this change; we feel that it adds another depth layer to the game. This ofcourse does increase the difficulty of the game slightly, which is the reason why we decided to add an already available stock of thatch to the easy start conditions. At the same time, buildings a Thatcher and having some labourers harvest some grasses is already enough to get your initial production going, so in that sense the increase in difficulty between the last version and this one is not that big either.

That said, we completely understand that not everyone might like these changes. My personal philosophy is that meaningful gameplay needs to have a healthy balance between giving opportunities and giving restrictions. This is what I like in games, and other people may ofcourse have different ideas about this. Unfortunately we all have to make choices in what we try to achieve with our mods, and thus accept the fact that we cannot please everyone all the time ;).

taniu

@Bartender @ despo 20 Thank you for the positive consideration of my idea + wild strawberries
I made a small test for 2 sets -" Rreeds and Fish trap" -these sets can freely introduce small rivers, but I wanted these sets to be placed in the river and here are my conclusions;
1. Once the area has been narrowed, the "Fish trap " and the "Reaper's Boat" can be placed on the river, but the "Reaper's Boat" is better placed on the shore.
2. "Fish trap" is not fit to the shore - and people walk on the water, is it a little funny?

taniu

@Bartender @ despo 20  :)
I have a village called "Oelrichmond" there is a lot of rivers and a lake, small river is very far from the village
I have a question if the "Fish Trap" can be adjusted to the river? Please. :)
There is also a slot on the small river that lacks a piece at the shore - when people pass through the small river they lose direction, they do not return immediately, they just walk around the area before you return back to the small river.
At "Fish Trap" 2 .jpg I added the missing piece - the lands, but add a piece of wooden ?- would look better "Fish Trap" ? :)
Some screenshots :
Thank you for your attention  :)Yours Cheers !

embx61

I think the solution to make a chain for Thatch is a good one and realistic as well.

To add thatch in the startup stock of resources on easy of the game is simple but very effective idea, Vanilla does the same with iron, Logs and Stone so players can build stuff what require those materials from the start to get the game going. With the thatch stock on easy players can build the building(s) what produces thatch pretty fast to get the process going.
And other starts besides easy are there for the reason to be more challenging.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

tanypredator

Hello! This new version is so great, that it got me back to game, even through I'm on notebook now, so it gets hot and game looks bad.

First when I put this version in my old mod list (there were NF, DS mods, RowHouses + NatDiv, latest ForestOutpost, MaritimesTrees, some EB mods and some other small mods), it caused crashes at about half a minute from the start of game. I left only old version of RowHouses, NF and some small mods and now it works.

If NF is put above NatDiv, there is no branches. It makes game really hard. I think, I should update NF again. Also I think that wild oats can be removed now from NF version compatible with NatDiv. And it would be good if grass spawn flax and maybe wild roses, but I'm not sure, how to do that. Maybe you just would be so kind to build a version of NatDiv with flax, roses and bees included, because it would be more simple, it let to avoid doulble  gathering tools and because I hadn't made mods for a long time now... At least until you hadn't made some more beautiful flower bushes, than mine ;)

I've noticed that blueberries spawn rather far from berry bushes.

And I hadn't yet tested reeds and fish traps. I want to say that grass and reeds are too beautiful to cut them off :)

Thank you!

tanypredator

"I've noticed that blueberries spawn rather far from berry bushes." - Now when I removed NF, I understand, that this fact was caused with it. I suppose you have put blueberries spawn into berry bushes template and removed it from trees template, but NF put it back there. That is easy to solve.

Also with all that branches playing is much easier. And, to be honest, with modded buildidns that don't require thatch - thatch is produced very slowly.

Bartender

Thanks again for all the feedback :)!

Quote from: taniu on July 02, 2017, 04:16:10 AM
@Bartender @ despo 20 Thank you for the positive consideration of my idea + wild strawberries
I made a small test for 2 sets -" Rreeds and Fish trap" -these sets can freely introduce small rivers, but I wanted these sets to be placed in the river and here are my conclusions;
1. Once the area has been narrowed, the "Fish trap " and the "Reaper's Boat" can be placed on the river, but the "Reaper's Boat" is better placed on the shore.
2. "Fish trap" is not fit to the shore - and people walk on the water, is it a little funny?

Quote from: taniu on July 02, 2017, 04:34:12 AM
@Bartender @ despo 20  :)
I have a village called "Oelrichmond" there is a lot of rivers and a lake, small river is very far from the village
I have a question if the "Fish Trap" can be adjusted to the river? Please. :)
There is also a slot on the small river that lacks a piece at the shore - when people pass through the small river they lose direction, they do not return immediately, they just walk around the area before you return back to the small river.

It's true that the Fish Trap and Reaper's Boat were not really made for the big rivers. For the Reaper's Boat this led to complications with growing the reeds (the influence area got too big), so we decided to limit it to the small rivers. For the Fish Trap, we've decided not to make it for the big rivers because those are being used by the trade boats. It would look very weird to have a boat sail right through the fish trap ;).

It's also true that the villagers can walk through the water along the downstream side of the fishtrap. This was the only way in which we could make sure that the workers can reach the trap itself from both sides of the river. Basically the villagers can wade through the water because they have the wood of the trap to hold on to ;).

Quote from: embx61 on July 02, 2017, 07:02:56 PM
I think the solution to make a chain for Thatch is a good one and realistic as well.

To add thatch in the startup stock of resources on easy of the game is simple but very effective idea, Vanilla does the same with iron, Logs and Stone so players can build stuff what require those materials from the start to get the game going. With the thatch stock on easy players can build the building(s) what produces thatch pretty fast to get the process going.
And other starts besides easy are there for the reason to be more challenging.

This was exactly our reasoning as well :).

Quote from: tanypredator on July 03, 2017, 03:10:32 AM
First when I put this version in my old mod list (there were NF, DS mods, RowHouses + NatDiv, latest ForestOutpost, MaritimesTrees, some EB mods and some other small mods), it caused crashes at about half a minute from the start of game. I left only old version of RowHouses, NF and some small mods and now it works.

If NF is put above NatDiv, there is no branches. It makes game really hard. I think, I should update NF again. Also I think that wild oats can be removed now from NF version compatible with NatDiv. And it would be good if grass spawn flax and maybe wild roses, but I'm not sure, how to do that. Maybe you just would be so kind to build a version of NatDiv with flax, roses and bees included, because it would be more simple, it let to avoid doulble  gathering tools and because I hadn't made mods for a long time now... At least until you hadn't made some more beautiful flower bushes, than mine ;)

Hmm.. do you have any idea which of those other mods was causing the crash when put together with NatDiv? We've had some other reports of people having crashes with certain CC start conditions.

It's a bit unfortunate but indeed, the NatDiv compatible version of NF would have to be updated again.. I like your proposition of adding them into NatDiv that would definitely be the easiest solution, I'll talk about it with Despo ;).

Just a side note; Other mods that just use thatch as a requirement shouldn't need to be updated :).

Quote from: tanypredator on July 03, 2017, 11:48:13 PM
"I've noticed that blueberries spawn rather far from berry bushes." - Now when I removed NF, I understand, that this fact was caused with it. I suppose you have put blueberries spawn into berry bushes template and removed it from trees template, but NF put it back there. That is easy to solve.

Also with all that branches playing is much easier. And, to be honest, with modded buildidns that don't require thatch - thatch is produced very slowly.
The blueberry problem is already on our list of things to fix :). I thought it would be convenient to just use the existing template for them indeed, so that the gatherers template would not have to change, but I didn't think about issues with other mods :-X.

Do you think the thatch is produced too slow? Or is it just a bit slow but still okay?