News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanypredator

@Necora, I'm still interested in this game - at least as a player. How can we make it compatible - I know only one way, to put everything in one place (i.e., tree template). All my files are uploaded, if I can do something more, I'll try.

I've looked into BL website, but wasn't able to find anything there at all, the navigation there is a bit strange. Is your mod with flax here?

Necora

@tanypredator the discussion was a brief couple of posts on Bartender's dev thread over there. @Bartender was thinking of adding more resources asides from just visual changes, so the convo was nothing more than 'hey, it would be cool if we can have all of the new resources in one mod or a combination mod so that you can use all new things spawned by the trees rather than one or two.'. So what I think would be good is to have like how mega mod is done, get all of the mods that introduce things to the trees and put them into one cohesive package. The issue is that between yourself, me, bartender, CC and others, there is just an awful lot of new things added which might make the forests very powerful in terms of food (one reason CC doesn't put wild grains, it is too easy to then get all your food groups right away). I agree with this, which is why it might be a neat idea to make the mod have a couple of themed starting conditions with different combinations of trees and resources from different modders for variety.

So for example, one start could be a pine start which has musrhooms, fiddleheads, bees, and a few different herbs and roots. Another could be a deciduous start that has deciduous trees, berries, mushrooms, bees. Another could be a more meadow start that has grasses, flowers, flax etc. See we can mix our resources together, rather than at the moment players having to choose between our individual mods as to what they want to use. Any items not associated with a start condition in each option can be put into a specific forester hut, so you can still access them from all start conditions.

This post is the most thought I've put into it though tbh!

My flax is in the Pine Set mod, but it is spawned only through the specific pine forester, not attached to vanilla forester trees. I wanted the pine forester to be a 'materials' kind of production more than food. But I named the flax 'rawmaterialflax' which I believe is different to how you named yours?

Abandoned

hi, just a thought, Tany, I very much like New Flora especially the wild oats and your blue flax, would hate to lose them, I think your blue flax is the prettiest.  The wild oats have saved my town many times, with all the different seeds, even with specialized trading posts and special orders, it can be 20-30 years to get grain, so no use for mills, bakeries, etc...  It would be nice to have wild rose and wild bees also incorporated into more mods.  I personally like to pick and choose different start conditions.  These new forests and meadows look fantastic, separate or together.  Would certainly need herbs in all starts, and could use twig or branches for firewood.  Interesting concept.

tanypredator

@Necora, I can't understand, why do all this require starting conditions? It can be made by just different mod versions, the same way I have separately wild oats, wild roses, flax, bees and several versions of new flora - all uncompatible between each other. One can just choose the version he likes most. The only reason to make new start conditions is to try to make new plants self-spawned, not spawned by trees.

My flax is RawMaterialLinen though named flax in game. I'm not satisfied with this 'linen' model, but other mods have taken my attention.

tanypredator

By the way I like to have wild grains, I would prefer to increase hardness in other ways - to enhance diseases, for example, maybe to increase food consumption (it seems to me that there already are such mods). But I'm now just starting to get into all new stuff.

Necora

Start conditions, maybe this is the wrong term, but what ever it is on the start menu that defines the tree set used on the map. CC does this, so you can have different tree sets with different wild resources. This way, you don't have to load up a different mod each time, you just choose one. I don't know, I just figured it would be an easy way to implement it. It is just an idea!

The non-compatibility between them is the main issue. Because if someone wants to add just your wild bees, they cannot then use the new things by any one else because the game is so restrictive on how we can add new items to the map. Where as we can package it up together, in 1 big mod or lots of different versions it doesn't matter, but at least then people can use natural resource made by more than 1 person.

And the grain comment wasn't a criticism, i was just agreeing with the example of making things too powerful so having to take care of it. I also like the wild oats!

tanypredator

Ok, anyway, my sources are out there for everyone's use and I'm ready to rework them if needed, just tell. I would certainly like to have all possible variants to play!

Bartender

As I've said before on BL, a Bio-Megamod sounds like a great idea! I personally don't know everything that is out there yet though, so I will do my research and then share my opinion on how we might go about this :).

@tanypredator Thank you for sharing your ideas, and for making your source files available for use! I wouldn't feel comfortable with cherry picking out of them for my own mod, but I have tried some of your work and I think they would be great in a megamod kind of thing.

tanypredator

Then I'll wait for your decision. I don't mind 'cherry picking' at all, but I understand, that each mod-maker want to make everything as he like :) However I suggest you to look into my manual gathering system. To be honest, I like the icons that I have collected :) As for models, I believe that you can make much better, if you have time and desire, but you are free to use mine.

Abandoned

Just another thought regarding combining mods into mega mods.  I would hate to see a mega combination eliminate the separate mods to choose from, especially tany's. I like the choice of using New Flora, or using just parts.  I tried CC and any tree changing starts seemed to be more than my video card could handle, the game froze up.  I am glad to see they are making it modular.  I would hate not to be able to use any of these mods because they are combined and too big and demanding for system.

tanypredator

@Abandoned, I don't think that anyone is going to delete their separate mods after combining, at least I don't :) The problem is that now if you choose my mod you won't be able to see and use all the advantages of this mod, for example. I'm not going to use CC too, it is too large, but this mod looks very promising.

Abandoned

@tanypredator I agree, this and other new mods look very good.  They change the whole look of the map, that's why I like to pick and choose, to set the mood.  I am glad to see CC breaking up into modules, the number of mods is getting a bit overwhelming but would not want to part with any.  :)

Bartender

I'd say that any attempt to combine mods should always have the goal to give more options to the player rather than less ;). So indeed, all the separate mods should remain available in case we set out to do such a thing.

Meanwhile, I'm getting v1.0 ready for full release.

If nothing else comes up, this will be the changelog:
- Grasses will now sway softly in the wind, and get frosted in snowy conditions.
- Grasses will grow slower, and take longer to harvest. This will decrease the productivity of the Thatcher's Shed.
- The Thatchers have complained about leaks in their shed. The roof of the Thatcher's Shed has been replaced by a wooden one, and it no longer requires thatch to be constructed. This makes Thatch obtainable in start conditions introduced by other mods.
- The resource limit icon of the Thatcher's Shed has been changed to match the Thatch icon.
- Thatch is now also useable as a Fuel.
- Food and Herbs are no longer destroyed when harvested by labourers, to avoid conflicts with other mods.
- (internal) The resource files that this mod adds have been given a 'NatDiv' prefix in their name, to avoid conflicts with other mods.

The new thatcher's shed:

brads3

that sounds good. i would like to have teted this mod more,but with the conflicts and the overpowering thatch i have not.this will definetly improve the game. thank you

kid1293

I certainly want more thatched roof now. :)
Leaking or not.  ;D