News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newport - Story 12

Started by Abandoned, April 14, 2017, 04:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 12 story in the Smallville series, it tells the tale of the 8th expedition to leave that town.  This small group volunteered to go in search of a new waterway when Smallville's main river dried up becoming little more than a small stream.  They left shortly after the last expedition which headed upriver to investigate the source of the river's problem, that group established Lakeland of story 11.  This group headed east and will establish the settlement of Newport.

The map is seed # 167329170  plain-dry, Small, Mild, disasters On, Forester Start (Multiple Start Mod).

The start condition consists of 3 families with a small amount of supplies in a cart and a forester building, no seeds or livestock.

Most mods used are 1.0.6 but a few are 1.0.7, most I have used before but some I have not.  The mods are:  New Maps, Multiple Starts, Banished Professions, RK Minimized Status, New Flora, Wildlife, CC Light Rain, Trader Accepts All, A lot of Seeds Trader, Chicken Coop, Colonial Houses, Forest Outpost, Better Fields, Black/White Cattle, Buildable Storage Carts, Country Little House, Decorative Plants, Fenceless Pastures, Firewood Storage, Garden Shed, Gift Shop, Greenhouse, Houses for Sale, Idle Small Fisherman Dock, Longer Living Orchards, New Trees, Old Hunter Hut, 1:1, Sample White Chicken, Slink Hogs, Smallville Sign, Small Well, Specialized Stockpiles, Storage Crates, Tiny Chopper, Market, Mines, Town Hall & Well, Trader, &Quarry, Vegan Scarcrow, Vegetable Garden, Village School, Washing Mod, Water and Other Decorations, Wooden Signs, Workplace.

I have not as yet updated my game to version 1.0.7 and this is the first map I have ever played with disasters On,  So weary traveler, I hope this map and story does not turn out to be a disaster.

brads3

yeahh,wb. i missed your stories. thought you had gave them up.

Abandoned

hi @brads3 , no didn't give up.  Tried Fountain High Society mod, icons missing, couldn't build some buildings, no story there.  Tried CC but problems with freeze ups, couldn't risk starting a story.  I am glad BL is posting separated mods, I liked the Natives and deco crops & animals.  The terrain mod could be a dozen stories right there, who knows.  I also finished all but 2 of the vanilla achievements and rewrote my mod list and notes. I just had to do a story when I saw the new trading post @kid1293 made, so a planned Springfield was put on hold in favor of Newport.  Glad you like my stories.  :)  Thanks again, kid  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Wide spread flooding of recent years brought many survivors to Smallville.  We were one of the small groups who volunteered to leave to help alleviate overcrowding and food shortages caused by the main river drying up and cutting off the food supply from Pumpkin Hollow.  We hoped to find a new trade route nearby.  We were foresters, woodcutters, and botanists and there was little need for our services in Smallville now other than providing firewood, building carts, and repairing old buildings.  There was no room for new construction and most of the forest was now cropland.

There were 6 of us with 4 young children.  Maximille & Belena had a one-year old and an infant, Muhammed and Anti (a flood survivor) had her younger sister and a newborn, and Gertrand and I, Katelynne, were just married.  It was late winter when we left, we wanted to travel while the ground was still frozen so the cart of supplies would be easier to pull.  We spend the night at the old boarding house across the once main river and set off the next morning crossing the small frozen creek behind the boarding house and heading east into the morning sun.

The going was rough, we found a new branch of the small creek and followed that but the hills along side were pretty steeper.  Our cart tipped once after sinking into soft ground, that must be when we lost our sack of vegetable seeds but we still had our seedlings.  When we finally emerged into a large open plain it was spring, the time of fresh starts and new beginnings.  We erected a Smallville sign and a signpost with an arrow pointing back that way and another arrow pointing the way we were headed.  We etched on the name Newport.

It took several more days to cross the wide plain toward the river we saw in the distance.  We built a forester station in a clearing a short distance from that river.  We could stay in the station until we built houses and we could also keep watch from the tower.  After the floods there were numerous reports of wild animal attacks.  We saw only deer.

We were very happy to discover plenty of wild foods growing around our clearing, especially wild oats, and we were delighted to see flowering dogwoods, lilacs, and tulips.  They were just beautiful, and there were wild roses and my favorite wild blue flax too.  We collected foods, built a hunter hut with residence and 2 other houses.  We built a well and had wash out on the line, it was beginning to feel like home.

Autumn was beautiful with a warm sunny golden glow and the smell of autumn leaves and firewood smoke filled the air.  We made some hide coats and iron tools and build a school so Anti's little sister would not miss getting an education, Anti would be teacher.  We gathered wild foods before the weather turned cold, just like we learned back in Smallville.  We were well prepared for our first winter and didn't mind the snow since we had so little rain this year.  In late winter, Chelly, was the first child born in Newport, followed by our daughter, Lotte.  Camericky, the first boy, waited until early spring of year 2 to arrive.

brads3

did you try the fountain lite version?? i still use that 1. it doesn't mess with my icons. i understand the testing mods. seems that is all i have done lately too. haven't had a good play in a while. i start and stop many times.each time i test and start to get used to a mod, there is  a new mod or a new update. and there are still glitches with the new limits or  other conflicts. been changing mod orders and restarting a lot.not complaining. the testing and new mods is fun. i just haven't found a zone. i keep adjusting my game play.
   new 1.75 CC is slower to load. for some reason with the graphics near the trees the scroll rate slows down also. if you can find the journey version just before the 1.07 update ,it actually loads better and faster. it would work under the 1.07 as well since the limits weren't changed yet.
i did upgade mine to 1.7 and the CC to 1.75 . i hoped it would fix some of the conflicts i was having but it added others as well.most of my mods are still older though.

Abandoned

@brads3 the cc version I have is the last one for 1.0.6 version 1.71.  It worked okay on flat plains, slowed down when it snowed but with all things wild and tree change starts it froze up completely, had to cnt alt del.  I did download the Fountain Lite but haven't used it yet, still have some older mods yet to try, and so many new ones, oh my goodness.  Here is chapter 2 with Newport's new port.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 2

Having a newborn to tend,  I stayed close to home and made hide coats and linen clothes, Gertrand took over as forester.  Muhammed began making iron tools.  In spring of year 2, Newport's population grew by 2 more when Lanniel and Caldona arrived.  The nomads were flood survivors who had sought higher ground.  They had seen our sign, they knew of Smallville's reputation of welcoming nomads, but they did not want to go back through the hills to get there.  We invited them to stay with us.

By late spring, we had a small barn and greenhouse built by the river and a house for Lanniel and Caldona next to the school.  Lanniel was impressed with the number of wild bees in the area, he set up a small gatherers shed with honey pots and began seeking wild honey.  He said he could set up a backyard hive for anyone who wanted one.  We said we'd think about it.

It was another hot dry summer, we built another well near our house.  In early autumn I became botanist in the greenhouse tending the seedling we brought from Smallville.  Seedling were their main trade good, we hoped it would be ours.  We welcomed the cold and snow of winter and constructed our trading post near the greenhouse.  Build from freshly cut pine it had a bright welcoming glow especially in the snow.  We hoped a river boatman would find us and bring us a lot of seeds.

RedKetchup

^^ you are still using this crappy greenhouse ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup , I happen to really like your crappy greenhouse and the seedlings, thank you very much.  :)  It was one of the first mods I used from this site and I used it in Smallville and will no doubt keep using it.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on April 17, 2017, 10:56:44 AM
@RedKetchup , I happen to really like your crappy greenhouse and the seedlings, thank you very much.  :)  It was one of the first mods I used from this site and I used it in Smallville and will no doubt keep using it.

^^ haha
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Nice to see you and your Smallvillers (can you say so in English?) back in action!

Maybe @RedKetchup can make a new version of his old greenhouse, that produces seedlings, just to give you some eye candy. And even if the design of the new greenhouse is nicer, the old one isn't any crap!

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 3

Spring of year 3 arrived and so did 2 more weary travelers, Bronso and Taliann.  He took Muhammed's spot fishing upriver and she took my place working in the greenhouse.  They had the builders build the most fabulous looking house with a small tower, they called it their happy haven.  And we were all happy when in early autumn the first river boatman arrived at our new port.

Reddy the seed merchant did indeed bring a lot of seeds, 9 varieties including wheat seeds.  We only had enough trade goods for 1.  He didn't want our wild honey, there was plenty in these parts but he was happy to take our seedlings and tools, but not so happy with the heavy iron.  It would slow him down even though the current here was very swift now.   He would see if Mountain Mines or Monkstown downriver would take it otherwise he'd have to take it all the way to Riverboat Junction.  There were now 2 new tributaries leading there.  Upriver were Lakeland and Pumpkin Hollow. His route was a short one so he would be back soon.  So we decided to take peach seeds, it would be a few years before harvest and our food supply was good and holding steady at present.

Lannil began restocking the trading post despite being busy helping at home.  He and Caldona just had their 1st child and she was recovering slowly. He stopped gathering honey to become our trader, our honey supply would be good for quite a while.

The light rain in late autumn turned to snow so we had time to decide where to put the peach orchard.   Our forest radius here was extra large so we decided that near its border would be a good spot, close to town center but taking up little nearby forest land.  We also decided we should have a town hall where we could have regular meetings to discuss plans for future town growth.

In early spring of year 4 the town hall was completed and a road extended north to where Taliann planted the peach orchard.  Bronso stopped fishing to take over her place working in the greenhouse but we did not have enough seedlings to trade when Reddy returned as promised with 7 varieties of seeds this time. He said he would always bring a good selection so there was no need to special order.  We might want to consider building another port with a pen if we wanted livestock.  He'd spread the word among river boatmen that we were in the market.  That was something to think about.

Shortly thereafter 2 more nomads arrived;  Connell and Ashawanda build a pretty blue country little house with storage leantos and took over tending the peach trees.  At the town hall welcome to town meeting, they said there was plenty of iron for tools and good hunting spots for hide coats up there; it might be a good spot for Newport's 2nd trading post.

In early summer Bronso and Taliann had their 1st child and our population grew to 21.  In early autumn, Redd returned with 8 types of seeds but still we lacked enough trade goods.  He said not to worry, he'd be back often.  We weren't worried, we had no spare workers to plant and tend fields right now anyways.  As always, we all helped gather wild foods and herbs to fill our pantries before winter.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Newport's population continued to grow.  In autumn of year 4 our son Handle was born and in early winter Millar was born to Lanniel and Caldona.  Spring of year 5 brought 2 more weary travelers,  Delvis and Lakena.  They built a small house and shed in a pretty grove of birch trees just outside the forester's reach.  Delvis would plant the cabbage seeds we just got from the boatman, the price of the wheat seeds was a little to steep for us just then, 4,000 trade goods.  In late spring Garris was born to Connell and Ashawanda, our peach farmers in the blue house.  They were happy to have the new well built next to their house.  In winter, Bronso and Taliann in the happy haven house had their 2nd child, Deforces.  Our population had grown to 27, 14 adults and 13 children.

In late spring of year 6, Landy and Ofelisha arrived.  They had some experience making tools and coats so they built a pretty blue bungalow up by the peach orchard where the new workshop and trading post with livestock pen were being built.  They built the house facing the river, the view was spectacular and you could actually smell the fragrance of the first peach crop ripening in the summer sun. 

Late summer brought a much needed light rain and the return of Reddy the seed merchant.  Delvis the farmer said he could only tend the one 10' x12' field so we sent the merchant on his way with a small sack of fresh picked peaches.  The first harvest was a good one, 700 peaches.  When the seed merchant returned in late autumn we bought squash seeds.  A new field would be cleared by Delvis' farm with the hope that somehow next spring we could get it planted. 

Abandoned

Chapter 5

Year 7 began with a nice light rain that really greened things up fast turning winter into spring. The new field did not get cleared until late spring when 3 flood survivors arrived, a widow, Valoridan, with 2 teenage children, Nico age 16 and his sister, Shastity age 14.  They built a lovely wood and stone house and everyone in town just loved the rocking chair Nico, who was now man of the house, built for his mother so she could sit on the front porch and look out over the cropfields. 

Their arrival was followed by an outbreak of tuberculosis.  The disease came and went so fast I can't tell you how many were even sick, no one died but we thought it a good idea to find a spot for a cemetery.  It was built by late winter along with a lodging house near the town hall.  A garden shed was built in the forest up north not far from the peach orchard. I took some seedlings and went to help out there until we could spare someone to be the forester. Landy and Ofelisha in the blue bungalow just had a baby girl so Gertrand went up there too to make the tools in the workshop.  Landy said they often had to wait for logs for building or tool making so the garden shed and forester should be a big help.

It was a good thing we built the lodging house when we did because in late spring of year 8, 9 nomads arrived from Smallville, 7 adults with 2 children.  The food shortage there had eased somewhat, Smallville has been getting food shipments by canoe from Lakeland.  Problem was the small creek froze in winter so a food rationing system was put in place.  Like us, they volunteered to help ease the shortage by leaving.  We gladly welcomed them. Rigobertrand became the new forester, he and Shasity, the daughter of Nico and Valoridan, built a small house right next to the garden shed.  Another newcomer became fisherman at the new pier and moved with his family up there too.  Another family built a small house by the cropfields and would plant the wheat seeds next year that we bought in late summer.  When asked, Reddy the boatman said Lakeland was not a stop on his trade route, with his light cargo he could not risk crossing that big lake, he stayed along the east shore out of the wind bypassing their port altogether.

In early autumn the gift shop that Rodolf built was completed.  He actually migrated to Smallville from the North, in fact, he once worked in Santa's workshop at the North Pole Fishing Hole.  Yes, can you believe it?  We were a little skeptical ourselves until he began producing hide coats and iron tools, even some firewood and ale. Yes, ale, what a treat, we each got a bottle.  He planned to add a 2nd story house above the gift shop, he and his family were still living in the lodging house.  Delvis the farmer had a special treat for us that winter also.  He had a large amount of venison in his storage shed and time to spare when the cabbage was harvested so he set up a small butcher block in his yard and made us all some tasty venison sausages.  Year 8 was a very good year.