News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Diagonal Road

Started by irrelevant, June 10, 2014, 07:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Notice the diagonal road in the center of the view. It occurred to me that if merchants' boats can cross land by using diagonal water squares, roads probably work the same way.

They do. Citizens move just as quickly down this road as they did before, when it was solid zig-zag.

solarscreen

You can make diagonal roads by holding the shift key while dragging your road.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

Yes, but that makes a solid road with wasted squares, like in the first screenie.

With fewer squares as in the second screenie, you have more space for storage piles, plus it is faster to build, and in the case of a stone road requires fewer resources.

Probly only matters to a beancounter like me, but for me, having 4 extra squares for storage piles in the same small space is worth it.

irrelevant

Or, if that isn't compelling, how about this: now there is room there for a house, and before there was not  ;)

solarscreen

Ok! I understand now what you were trying to do.   Thanks for the extra info to demonstrate saving squares to fit more into the space.

Good idea!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Bobbi

I think this is a cool discovery that will be useful in cramped quarters and aesthetically pleasing as well! Thanks, @irrelevant

irrelevant

@Bobbi , I think it looks better too.

You're welcome!

rkelly17

I've noticed, too, in locations where you can't build a full road because of a section of hill that gets in the way people will act as if the full road is there, walking diagonally.

mariesalias

I have never noticed this but am glad to know it!

irrelevant

Last night I notice some pix walking directly through full storage piles that were next to a stockyard. I also noticed some were using "impassable" squares between a building and a river.

Also, I demolished a bridge as part of a test, and they continued for some time to cross the river using the non-existent bridge, just like the submarine livestock do. I suppose a pix on a mission gets his path assigned at the start, and will follow that path come hell or literal high water.

nmid

Quote from: irrelevant on June 10, 2014, 09:33:38 PM
Or, if that isn't compelling, how about this: now there is room there for a house, and before there was not  ;)

Ok, this is really interesting.
I always thought that it would block the villagers.

I seem to recall one map of mine where the fishing port that I set up like that blocked the 4 fishers at the fishing yard.
I don't remember if I made the diagonal roads or if roads are required for this 'bug' to work, but if roads work, then non-road paths should work too I reckon.

rkelly17

Quote from: nmid on June 17, 2014, 07:31:23 AM
Ok, this is really interesting.
I always thought that it would block the villagers.

I seem to recall one map of mine where the fishing port that I set up like that blocked the 4 fishers at the fishing yard.
I don't remember if I made the diagonal roads or if roads are required for this 'bug' to work, but if roads work, then non-road paths should work too I reckon.

@nmid, I think that the key point is whether there is a diagonally connected land square where a road could be built. A fishing dock might well make a complete block because it extends out into the water and there is no diagonally connected land square. It's not really a bug, but a by-product of the citizens being able to walk on non-road squares.

Also, it doesn't always work. I have seen the citizens get out out on a place to collect resources where the only connection is via a diagonal and then they can't get back and starve to death. Being able to build a diagonal road pieces as in @irrelevant's original post may be the key.

Joel620

Funny, I thought you had to have a minimum of two squares to make a path. I must be doing something wrong.  I hadn't been able to place just a single square block...will have to revisit this. Hmm...

irrelevant

You have to double click on the one square. Or you can lay down a solid path using the shift key, and go back and erase some squares before they get built.

RedKetchup

sorry to necro a very old topic ^^

did you know guys if you press "SHIFT" when you trace a road you can make diagonal road ??
not "real" diagonal but i never known that 'shift' thing command ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .