News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ambril and followers- Nilla´s latest modtest

Started by Nilla, May 06, 2017, 02:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I was a bit absent from this page and from playing Banished lately. From time to time something called "life" strikes you but anyhow, I have started a new game. I just haven't written about it. I will now.

The Town's name is Ambril. I only have 2 mods loaded: The latest versions of the North ( @Tom Sawyer) and the Jetty and Bridges ( @Discrepancy). Maybe I will add some more along the way.

First I have a request to Tom: I would like to have an unpainted version of the medium barn. It looks a bit odd, if the people can't afford to paint their houses, but they have a red barn, that also has larger windows than the house. The new small storage in the same style as the new houses are nice but really small. I have doubled them on each spot but can't do without any larger storage for long. The first picture shows an impression of the village. I've put the red barn a bit away from the houses, but I would have preferred an unpainted variation. (without or with only very small windows)

I have tested the jetty trading port. It doesn't work on the lake. I have tried it in three positions. Each would have worked in my last game. It seems to have been changed somehow. I haven't tried it on the river, yet (too far away from the village so far) but I find, it's the great thing with this port; the possibility to place it on various locations. It would be a pity, if it wasn't possible. The second picture shows one position that doesn't work. The merchant passes, without stopping at the port.

I've built a few new jetty buildings; the fishdryer (I wasn't sure that it would use salmon, but it does) and also the mollusks farm. When people walk from this farm to the storage, they fall into the water and it's not possible to build a corner part (red footprint on the third picture). Is it possible to make a ghosted version? The production of these buildings are less than a fisher but still in a reasonable range.

The third picture also shows my storage. As always in the North; there's a lot of salmon. To my surprise i also have a lot of iron ore. Have you changed anything here @Tom Sawyer?

QueryEverything

I've been playing with the new release of the Jetty mod, and haven't had a problem with the trader, directly on the river - so it may just be a lake 'quirk'.  :(

I've also used the mollusc farm  and haven't noticed any issues, I was going to build a bridge across to the other land mass, I think I will do so from the corner, the same one you are having problems with, and see if the Bannies do the same thing.  :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

@QueryEverything, Nilla is using the alternative version made for the North that doesn't have the new flags and the Merchants Office, it is only available from a post I made in The North forum page.

@Nilla, I am yet to build a trade port. I haven't actually played the town since I posted. I will try it now, and look at the code to see why.

QueryEverything

Oh, yes - I remember seeing that and making note of it  (btw, do you want me to add it to my list I'm doing for the workbook @Discrepancy ??); I completely didn't register that @Nilla may be using it...  oopsies! 
I will still check on the mollusc walking though ;)  No harm :D

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Tom Sawyer

I make a bigger storage building for the log cabins. Then we have two sizes for old times. The red barns are more suitable for the cottages. Ore output is increased yes, to avoid early game tool crisis on plain maps and to balance gold from mines which is not in game yet. It was 8/6 and now 16/12 but I already have reduced it to 12/9 while playing around with this version. It should be still a feeling to be keen on new ore spots.

And if the boats don't find the trading post then it is such a lake quirk as Query says. It can happen on maps with large lakes if the port is too far away from the route. Not cool for your people. But the jetty mod is not the culprit.

Abandoned

@Nilla good to see wise Nordic woman has returned North  :) , am thinking of going there myself, now eager to try newest version, I am glad it is for 1.0.6.  I was going to post and ask you if you had plans to start map.  One of us would have to all the great statistics and production numbers, you know me, always looking at the scenery.  Glad there is an alternative to jetty and bridges also. I'll be along in a couple of days I hope, I have some file work to do first.  New additions to the North look really good.

edit: nilla, what start condition did you use ?

Nilla

I'm sorry I was a bit careless, telling you which mods I'm using. Yes, @Discrepancy is right, I'm using the version of the Jetty and Bridges without the Merchants Office. The Game crashed with the "normal" version together with the North. So he was kind enough, to make a separate version. :) It's unlikely to me, that the behaviour of the merchants has anything to do with this, but maybe it does. What do I understand about modding?. In any case, the vanilla trading ports on the lake work perfectly fine, so there is something with the Jetty Ports, that are different; that prevent the merchants from stopping. I haven't tried to build it in any other location but I will, when the settlement reaches the river. Yes, and I also loaded one more mod: Kid's Forest outpost. The reason was, that you can't build a Nordic School from the start, it needs brick and a school, that looks like the vanilla building, doesn't fit in my Nordic world. We've never had schools that look like that. The simple interim roof from the Forest outpost fits better for the start.

The wise old Nordic woman was also careless, not telling you the settings: Medium size, Lakeland 18672168, harsh climate, survivors, disasters on.

I have tried some of the new buildings. The trapper is very profitable; I have had production of more than 150, (furs worth 24) the average maybe a little less. It variates a lot (maybe because I take every nomad and they mess up the production numbers). In any case, the annual profit is very high >3000. Alright, the area is huge, so you can't "spam" them and you will probably not have many "perfect" areas either. But it's the other way around, if you want to make coats from the furs. That's not a very good business (input 3*24, output 80). Not much use to make coats for export, not every coat will go into the port, so in real, it would be a loss. You usually have some thoughts, when you set your production numbers @Tom Sawyer, what are your thoughts about fur/fur coats?

I would very much like to build the lovely looking bank. But I don't really want to build it as some kind of "useless" monument. So far, I have no use for a bank. I never have more than a few spare coins on rare occasions. I've doubled the trading ports but it's still the same. I want to keep enough coins in the ports, to buy what I want, when a merchant arrive, at the moment 100 daler and 100 penning. It looks like the merchants bring the same amount of coins, as they did in your last version of the North. We have discussed this before and I think, if you really want to make the bank useful, they should bring more coins. Now, I can always "buy" every coin and still have trading goods left. Maybe it will change as the settlement grows and the boats bring more coins and I suppose, that the bank is more a late game building, so we will see, how it will turn out later.

Two more small things that occurred to me: the nice little church can only be built once. At the moment I don't want more than this one but on a large map, maybe it would be nice to be able to build more chapels. Could there be trouble with nomads? I've never built two nomad attractors exactly the same but I have had several different nomad attractors and they work fine together. It also seems that the number of nomads is low. So far it's always only 2 of them and my settlement has passed 100 inhabitants. The second thing is the wooden well; it only needs a few logs to be built. I find it too cheap compared to the vanilla well. A well has to have a part of stones beneath the ground, that you don't see. I suggest, that this one also need some stone, but a bit less than the other.

One thing to the Jetty buildings: The market contains all kind of material, like wool, ore, charcoal, that you don't need there out on the jetties. If you don't have plans for jetty blacksmiths, tailors and other production buildings, that use these materials, I would suggest that you think a bit about, what this market should contain. As it is now, it has only disadvantages; it take space, the vendors have to spend time carrying these things you don't need there and the material is missing somewhere else. (First picture)

Second picture

My village center. I like the look very much. The different buildings fit good together. It´s nice, that the "old" houses are lower, than the "new". How much better heat economy has the red houses compared to the brown? There´s also a free space on the other side of the road from the school. I will keep it free, and see if I ever can use a bank.

But look at the background!  :( You know what I mean @Tom Sawyer! ;)

Abandoned

@Nilla , I see buildings there with grass roofs, very nice.  thank you for starting info, we play different so I will go a different route and leave the jetty building to you, forest outpost a starting must for me also.  The nomad lamp post numbers must be set the same as kid's well that bring only a few each year to start, the numbers do go up with time, no flood of nomads before you can feed them.  If it allows to be able to build more than one, it must be okay I think. I am looking forward to another trip North, I have a lot of notes from wise Nordic woman's advice.  :)

Tom Sawyer

Then I was wrong with the lake as cause for passing merchants @Nilla. Can it be that there was too much built around the jetty port and blocks it? But I have no clue.

Trappers are profitable, yes. And of course they have to be in a Nordic theme. But as you said they need a large hunting ground with old natural forest to get such an amount of fur. Especially in early game when your people reach the new untouched land. If you are starting your forestry it will decrease and if you are totally overworking your forest for maximum wood production then fur animals will almost disappear. So with a growing settlement the trappers will lose their importance but it's also up to the player.

Fur is an export good in the North. Secondary you can make warm coats from it for your own people. To sell the coats is also possible of course and brings a similar profit like other coats. But I want to create a fur trading for the right atmosphere. This I had in mind.

The bank I actually wanted to include with new flags and when precious metals come in game. But I have finished the model and it already works for coins. It is rather a building for a bigger settlement and I'm curious if you will use it one day. The amount of money is increased but it also depends on the number of trading posts and of your success. Nilla always rocks the map in a way that too much resources are stocked. ;)

We already talked about the new old well and it will get some stone as well.^^

The wooden chapel attracts a couple per year or even more. That can be a lot. For more nomads you can build a village (vanilla) church which attracts in addition. I plan to add more churches in this row of unique buildings with increasing costs. Spamming cheap chapels for nomads I would like to avoid.

Thank you very much for your reports. And I really like the combination of the jetty buildings with my landscape. I will look at it in game too. Probably there is something to make it work in the North.

QueryEverything

Quote from: Nilla on May 07, 2017, 02:40:33 AM
I'm sorry I was a bit careless, telling you which mods I'm using. Yes, @Discrepancy is right, I'm using the version of the Jetty and Bridges without the Merchants Office.
{snip}

Not at all careless @Nilla you add so much to your blogs that sometimes I overlook things, and that one was on me (no arguments), thank you for updating the information though.  :D

Nilla

Quote from: Abandoned on May 07, 2017, 04:41:53 AM
@Nilla , I see buildings there with grass roofs, very nice.  thank you for starting info, we play different so I will go a different route and leave the jetty building to you, forest outpost a starting must for me also.  The nomad lamp post numbers must be set the same as kid's well that bring only a few each year to start, the numbers do go up with time, no flood of nomads before you can feed them.  If it allows to be able to build more than one, it must be okay I think. I am looking forward to another trip North, I have a lot of notes from wise Nordic woman's advice.  :)

Yes, I like the look of these old fashioned houses with grass roofs and wooden roofs, too. And it's not a nomad lamp, it's the small chapel, that attracts nomads. My settlement has now grown to almost 200 inhabitants. Each year 1 or 2 nomad families arrive; between 2 and 8 people. I don't see nomads as a "reward", that you somehow must prevent people from getting. I see them more as an obstacle; if you play well, you can take some, and get a fast growth but a normal growth of a settlement; building a house for every adult girl as soon as possible, is much better. I didn't really want the possibility to take more nomads later in the game, as I asked for a possibility to build more chapels. The way I use to play, nomads mid game are totally useless; some time along the way, I can't/will not build houses as soon as a girl gets educated. New nomads would delay it even more, not bring any growth at all, just decrease the education rate. I meant, it would just be nice to have this little church in a second village center. The large vanilla is too "unscandinavian" for me.

Good to know about the trappers. It will be a good idea, to build one in areas not developed yet. I do have a strange problem with them. From time to time the sign pops up, that the limit has been reached. It appears on all 3 trappers at the same time. I have increased all limits to 999999, but nothing changes. Then after ½year or something like that, for some reason, I don't understand, the sign disappears and the trappers work normally again, after ½ year it appears again. Weird!

It's OK, that furs is an excellent trading good, and fur coats not, but the profit of fur coats are much less than other coats As example; Fur Coats; input 3*24=72, output 80, profit 8 or10%, Nordic Coats: input 3*12=36, output 56, profit 20 or 35%. Maybe you could change the "recipe"; that 2 furs gives 1 coat. That would even the numbers. But it's not a big thing, I can live with it the way it is.

I'm starting to get a few spare coins; (I have built 4 trading ports, normally too many but I will try too accumulate coins) I could even sell all of my "high price goods" once, so it looks brighter for the use of a bank. :) If I understand it right; it's a pure storage. It doesn't bring any profit, like intrest on the money.

First picture

I don't really understand the difference between the Driftwood Seacher and Driftwood Collector, except that you can choose the things he finds. It says, that the output of the Seacher is lower, but I see no big difference. Last year 2 searcher collected 180 logs and 2 collector 90 of each logs and firewood. There is a very small log storage, that can be built on the jetty. That's good, but it could be a bit bigger, it gets full in 1/3 year with one driftwood searcher! But where should the firewood be put? It could be a good idea to locate a jetty firewoodcutter close to the driftwoodcollector, but I haven't found any firewood storage (except the market but you don't always want a big market close).

Second picture

The merchant touches the port on his way, but refuses to stop. I have just built a new one on the blue marked spot on the river. I'll let you know, if it works.

Third picture

The weird limit sign on the trapper.

A bad omen! The small chapel burned! Do we have a pyroman in this village? The fire didn't start at the chapel but in the house next to it. In my village there was a very old, very beautiful medieval wooden church, similar to this. It was torched by a crazy man some years ago! I didn't want to recapitulate that in Banished. :(

Abandoned

@Nilla I agree nomad taking is tricky and sometimes hard decision, extra workers early vs education. I also think a non nomad version of the church is a good idea, like kid's mission mod has.  Hopefully church fire not an omen of things to come.  The jetty building is coming along nicely, I like the driftwood = firewood.

I hope to be starting North map soon, only have basic idea and still considering mods to use.  See you soon in the North :)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

It seems the wooden Chapel burns very well. My next chapel will something from stone. I found a nice photo. I can make the wooden chapel standalone without function to place it in addition as you like. But was it really Nilla who is asking for a decorative version of it? ;D

At the trapper you found a bug. There is a textile flag in it which makes them follow the coins instead of materials. Your trappers were stopping when you had 200 or more coins in barns. It will be fixed in 5.1 which I will upload next days. In your current game you can increase the coin limit in your village hall. It's not in the limit tool because useless (normally).

The profit of 8 is indeed a bit small for the fur coat in comparison to 20 for a nordic coat. I will adjust it.

The bank is a storage location, yes. There is no profit generated. At least not directly. If the fire had hit your barn or trading post instead of your chapel then it would have been a kind of profit in the bank.

And I don't wonder why you are "swimming" in logs. They are growing in this lake. ;)

Abandoned

@Nilla good job so far.  I am glad I did not get starting yet, will wait for update.  I have town name and most mods decided on but not much more done.  I am wondering @Tom Sawyer if the mod My Precious from cc BL site is compatible.  I would place it after the North.  I am looking forward to trip North.  :)