News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Job switching?

Started by Ogedei, May 07, 2017, 08:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogedei

Is it just me or do people arbitrarily switch jobs periodically in Banished? Though I didn't change any settings for occupation quotas sometimes I notice a forester carrying quarry stones or some other resource. If they do periodically switch jobs, what causes them to do so? Is it related to distance between housing and workplace?

embx61

@Ogedei

Yes, the Bannies switch jobs automatically. Yes it is related to home/work distance.
If they live closer to another job they will switch.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

Quote from: embx61 on May 07, 2017, 08:32:36 AM
@Ogedei

Yes, the Bannies switch jobs automatically. Yes it is related to home/work distance.
If they live closer to another job they will switch.

yes the game periodically shuffle the jobs around.
there is also some achievement about citizens making all the professions once :)
but with mods, we cant get these achievements anymore ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Ogedei

OK. So I guess that means I could experiment with making 'satellite' towns. How much is the distance factor calculated in job switching and is there a particular time of the game year that they switch?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Ogedei on May 07, 2017, 09:22:40 AM
OK. So I guess that means I could experiment with making 'satellite' towns. How much is the distance factor calculated in job switching and is there a particular time of the game year that they switch?

at 1200+ citizens, it can be very bad ^^ if i remember correctly my experience

Nilla

I think they switch once each season, (12 time each year) or rather the program recalculates the distance to the workplaces that often. It´s not always easy to understand how it´s done. It looks like some profession are seen as more important than others, especially large building projects may cause the most strange "behaviour" of the Bannies and miners may live "everywhere", seems to be very low priority. I studied it a lot at the beginning, but came to the conclusion, not to bother too much about it. And Red is right; when the towns get bigger, it causes trouble. First you notice the lags; the time it takes to recalculate the workdistance. At some point, the recalculation stops, and the people doesn´t change jobs anymore, it´s more than 1200 inhabitants; rather 3000-4000 or sometihing like that. I don´t remember it that good anymore. It´s been a while since I tormented myself with these big towns.

Ogedei

Quoteat 1200+ citizens, it can be very bad ^^

My towns never are bigger than 300 people.  :-[ Once they pass the 300 mark, I tend to either end up with a huge collapse with mass starvation or things sprawl out so much that much of the town is barely manageable.  :-[

QuoteI think they switch once each season, (12 time each year) or rather the program recalculates the distance to the workplaces that often. It´s not always easy to understand how it´s done. It looks like some profession are seen as more important than others, especially large building projects may cause the most strange "behaviour" of the Bannies and miners may live "everywhere", seems to be very low priority.

I've always had trouble with getting much out of mines and wondered why that was until I noticed the job switching. It'd be nice if there was some mod to fix that behavior.

Paeng

Quote from: Ogedei on May 07, 2017, 12:38:32 PMI tend to either end up with a huge collapse with mass starvation or things sprawl out so much that much of the town is barely manageable...[snip]... It'd be nice if there was some mod to fix that behavior.

Not really - the job-switching is not "broken", it is actually beneficial to your peeps, and a rather central game mechanic.

Mass starvation and unwanted sprawl are related to that, so you may need to review your timing for building houses, birthcontrol, death cycles, having enough housing near work places, etc...  :)

* That it gets weird when you go beyond 3000 peeps is a different story, imo...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

Quote from: Ogedei on May 07, 2017, 12:38:32 PM

I've always had trouble with getting much out of mines and wondered why that was until I noticed the job switching. It'd be nice if there was some mod to fix that behavior.

I´m not sure it should be "fixed". It´s simply a matter of priority. If the builders would be low priority, we all would complain abut how long it takes to get something built. If farmers would be low priority, more crops would be left on the fields as the winter arrives. You are right, the mines are very low producing, even if farmers live close and it´s worse, if they don´t. The best thing you can do is always to build enough houses close to the workplaces.

Necora

Quote from: Ogedei on May 07, 2017, 08:16:22 AM
Is it just me or do people arbitrarily switch jobs periodically in Banished? Though I didn't change any settings for occupation quotas sometimes I notice a forester carrying quarry stones or some other resource. If they do periodically switch jobs, what causes them to do so? Is it related to distance between housing and workplace?

Another thing to note... while job switching is common as others have stated I think what you have described here is something slightly different. When you said a forester is quarrying stones, do you mean the bannie has the profession of a forester but was cutting naturally occurring stones on the map? Or do you mean he/she was working in a quarry?

Two different things. A forester should not work in a quarry, but can change profession to a stone cutter if he/she lives closer as others have stated however the profession in the UI for the bannie will have changed to stone cutter, he/she will no longer be a forester. If he/she has the profession of a forester still, but is cutting natural stone from the map (or another job) then there are two reasons.

1 - they are clearing stone from the radius of their forestry hut. Foresters will clear any resources that are in the way of planting trees.

2 - it is because when the resource limit has been reached on the forest hut/there is nothing for the forester to cut/plant then they act as a laborer. All professions will act as laborers when there is nothing for them to do in their current job, which means they will clear resources or pick up crops etc., move building resources to a build site, any of the range of things that a laborer does in the game.

Ogedei

Both actually. In one instance, the forester was clearing away stones. In another instance, a hunter changed to professions to go work in a mine. Only when I noticed that people were carrying different things did I start observing their behaviors.

Didn't know foresters would clear away their work area.

RedKetchup

something that is sure.... we moddlers cannot do anything about that. all the code for job attributions and path finding is totally hidden.

tomnobles

@Ogedei
Both actually. In one instance, the forester was clearing away stones. In another instance, a hunter changed to professions to go work in a mine. Only when I noticed that people were carrying different things did I start observing their behaviors.

Didn't know foresters would clear away their work area.
Yes the foresters will clear stones and iron. As for the miners, sufficient housing near the mine(s) should work for you. I generally place a market close to the mine(s) and add houses until I have enough to support the miners, venders and anything else I plop there.

Nilla

Another thing, that may cause some alternative occupation from more or less all professions, is if you have too few free laborers for carrying resources, clearing land and so on. Every craftsman may interrupt their work to help with this. He still has his profession but you can see that he/she is doing laborer's work. I try to have at least 10% of my workforce as free laborers. It doesn't prevent this behaviour completely but mostly.