Started by embx61, May 10, 2017, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Nilla

I know, typical question from me  :-\ :-[ : Do they have a purpose? (other than looking great!) :)

embx61

@Nilla

Not sure if something could be coded to give it a purpose but I am open to any ideas.

Channels were many times requested to supply water to crop fields/orchards but I don't think that something can be coded to change how the crop fields/orchards work.
It has no consume produce component so they have to take water in to produce crops.

At the moment it is decoration till maybe someone comes up with any ideas how to make them useful besides decoration.

tanypredator

One thing I can think of is to add some water reservoir on the same height, with wooden walls like these channels, acting like well (and/or water source if water is used), which can be connected to this channels. It won't make them anything more than decoration, but they will look like having a purpose :)

Paeng

Well, either way, they are cool visuals already (see )...

Even if they don't produce anything on their own - some small production places could be made so they need that little "connector" to the canals to make sense...

EDIT

Oops, Tany was faster... but yeah, exactly my thinking  :D

EDIT2

Oh, and you should ask Red to share his "direction of flow" arrows... I fear I built them all "wrong"...  :-[   :D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

despo_20

It's great! I like it very much!

A little idea: connect a fountain to the channels from which bannies can take water. It can work as a well.

EDIT

Ok, I'm the slowest one ;D

embx61

@tanypredator

Yes, that is indeed possible to make a water reservoir.
The reservoir can then gather water.
Not all starting points on the map are close to the river/streams so then it works like the aqua ducts from the roman empire.

embx61

@Paeng

Yeah the direction can be bit of a pain.

But the good thing is the flow is also visible before putting the piece down. The bridge part is the hardest to see but it is visible how the flow goes.
The Icons are not that great either but I suck big time at making those.

If someone can make some nice looking Icons it will be great otherwise those have to do.
Some production buildings giving the connector is great idea. But those connectors have to be exactly the same on the X and Y axis and the height have to be the same.

But adding a reservoir (Maybe some different sizes 2x2, 3x3) to the set there is no need for adding connectors to the buildings itself. The reservoir is the end point and can be placed close to the buildings which require water. I can then assign a worker to those reservoirs to gather water from those reservoirs.

brads3

i have map that start near a river and it seems foolish to dig down to get water when it would be easier to walk to the river.a pump like DS has with the large holding barrel to feed the channels and then a holding tank where you can get the water and use it for various buildings that require water would make more sence sometimes.

Maldrick

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on May 11, 2017, 06:59:58 AMSome production buildings giving the connector is great idea. But those connectors have to be exactly the same on the X and Y axis and the height have to be the same.

That's okay... for me, the idea would be to create a whole little "universe" of its own, with "Irrigation" being the theme... so the connectors basically make the channels mandatory, even just a few modules will "own" the item to that set or theme...

Of course, water can play a big part - I like that anyway, as I feel that the need for water is much under-represented in Banished... and it's pretty established as a resource already.

I can think of quite a few items that would fit -

* reservoir (different sizes, round and rect)
* small floodgates (where a farmer could shut off the flow of water)
* a couple different bridges
* a simple windmill waterpump
* small water tower
* culverts! to go through high ground, hills
* connectors into buildings (ghosted?)

LOL  ;)

embx61

@Paeng

For sure it can be extended.
I wanted to release the Beta so people could play around with it a bit and so the feedback/ideas/suggestions would come in :)

I first going to work on some reservoirs as I think those are needed. The end pieces do sort of the same but a little bigger is better.

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on May 11, 2017, 08:32:35 AMso people could play around with it a bit and so the feedback/ideas/suggestions would come in

Way to go... see what that gets you?   :D

QueryEverything

@embx61 :)  Hiya :D
Just been playing with load orders (bug hunting), and I realised that if I put this under the EB Unified mod the icon in the Tool Bar makes that wonky shape, the tiny square - like there's a conflict somewhere - but, where?
*rocks in a corner ugh ;)

Maybe (if you wouldn't mind) updating the description to read:  Load above EB mods

:)

Thank you for reading :D

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

Will update the description.

Yes, this is because the Unified Mod did not have the icons for the channels in the community bar yet.