Author Topic: Windows 10 issues with Banished?  (Read 1573 times)

Online Maldrick

• Trader
Windows 10 issues with Banished?
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
Getting ready to do a major hardware upgrade in the next week or two and have been getting up to speed on current parts.  I tend to go Intel and it seems the current and most recent generation of processors require Windows 10.

Did some searches and it seems there were issues with Banished early in Windows 10's life but everything I've seen is kind of old along with some newer posts and whatnot that people got it working, sometimes with minor issues, but they were also kind of old.

So I thought I would ask what the current state of things was like.  Especially with mods as a factor.  I just started playing the game a year ago so I missed all of this transition.

Very happy with Windows 7, by the way. Ugh.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
Re: Windows 10 issues with Banished?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
personally i was very scared to install windows 10 on my new pc
the thing with new technology... specially if you have a new motherboard with only usb2.0, 3.0 .... be rdy to make yourself a copy of windows 7 with drivers be preloaded or it will be a pain like me.

even though i still prefered win 7 than win 10.
for me it is still 4 or 5 years too soon before i do the switch
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
I don't want to switch either.  But they are ending support for 7 and 8 on the current CPUs as well as the last generation in July of this year with Intel chips. And I understand it's the same with AMD but I'm not aware of the details.

Meanwhile, I badly need to upgrade at my current box is 6 years old.  There are options for the next generation down, but prices I'm seeing are the same as more recent processors that are much better so it doesn't make a lot of sense to make that investment.

Ugh. Microsoft.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
till you have support from your mother board vendor... i dont think it does matter

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
Well, right now I'm just wondering if there are still issues with Banished and using mods with windows 10.  Rather not upgrade but don't have a problem doing it as its been out a couple years except for possible issues with this game.

Offline calli74

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
I've been playing Banished with tons of mods, steam version and GoG version with no problems in Windows 10. I'm also using the beta 1.07 version without problems.

Online Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
I use Windows 10; no problem.

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »
Ah, that's great news.  Thank you, guys.

Everything that came up on searches was a couple of years old.

Thanks again. :)

Offline QueryEverything

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »
+1 on Windows 10 and no issues at all :)
All our systems run on Win 10, gaming, admin & developer and not a single issue :)

Now ...  there may be in the new version of Win 10 that has been announced, but, I won't be upgrading voluntarily to that until those kinks are sorted out.  Whilst I love kinky things, I can't stand it in my working software, and the rumours of not having Chrome etc in place - that's a big issue for me, but, I'm not worried yet as the final update hasn't been announced officially and I don't stress until it does :D
~ QE, I query because I like learning new things. 

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
(Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :)

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
Thanks, @QueryEverything

From what I'm hearing about Windows 10, "voluntary" isn't exactly an element. They seem hell bent on getting everyone on it.  I'll reserve judgement till I play with it myself, but read something about not being able to control updates and that kind of makes my eye twitch.  But as long as I can do everything I need to, I'll survive I'm sure.

Had a quick search about a new version and didn't really find anything. What are they doing to Chrome?

Offline QueryEverything

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Hiya @Maldrick , well, I've done some more reading on this.
Apparently you can change some of the update settings, and you can tell it that there's restricted data so you can somehow change the download times etc.  I just tell the updates to keep snoozing.

I know that it's one of the biggest complaints that you can't choose to update and when.

Now, as for the Chrome issue, it was mainly rumours, over an article written a while back and nothing has seemed to have come from that.

Honestly though, I'm not upset with Win10, it took me a little to configure a few personal things, but that's because I liked Win7 too much and didn't want to let go of the settings.  On my new portable rig, I haven't done much at all.  :)

I'd check out a few Windows forums and see what 'tips' they offer, and if that suits you, have a read around and make an educated decision.

(Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :)

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »
Thanks, @QueryEverything .  Was just curious, since you mention it.

Parts and everything arrive tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out this weekend.

And I've loved 7, also.  Loved XP too, and I wish I'd upgraded sooner, because 7 is truly a great OS.  I'm going to leave at least one of my current boxes intact for the time being with windows 7 for sure.

Offline QueryEverything

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
If you're an advanced techy - I would look at creating a dual boot system and see if that tickles you - then run both for a few weeks and see which you want to continue to use moving forward.

For me, I guess my main concern sticking with the older software is what happens when it really is no longer supported, and the security risks outgrow the safe installations ...  (*sighs I miss my side widgets, but they caused more problems than it was worth keeping them :( )

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »
win 7 is still up to date presently !

if i check my window update.... even yesterday i ve got updates installed.

maybe in 2020 will be outdated, but you still have 3 long years to live :)

Online Maldrick

• Trader
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
Well, my new chip is 6th gen i7 and support for windows 7 ends in July.  The current generation straight up requires 10 already.  I find the whole thing rather coercive so I'm expecting some serious monkeys flying out of orifices to justify them strong-arming everyone to move to 10 like this.  Something tells me that's probably not going to happen, but it is what it is, I guess. As long as I can do what I need to I'll adjust.

I will still have at least one box on 7, probably two, so I'll be okay, I'm sure.  You just get used to what you are used to, I guess.  Was like pulling teeth getting me off of XP.