News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A Sound Idea

Started by Abandoned, May 26, 2017, 06:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Okay, everybody duck, here comes another idea, UFO alert.  cc has ducks that make duck sounds, do they not?  You can buy these ducks and put them in a pasture they fly above and make duck sounds when you are near.  Now we can have a 1x1 pasture square and we can have invisible objects.  Could we not have an invisible flying object with different sounds say church bell, or fog horn, or frog that player can place and use at their discretion?  That would be just ducky!

kid1293

marmaladema

Gatherer

It is an awesome idea!!!
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

oh thanks  :) I hope that means there's a possibility of it working.  I have some great sound clips like trains, spooky, robin.  I did a lot of cool stuff with music and sounds in my Sim's neighborhoods.  Maybe the placement spot could even be marked with a stone with a fossil or something.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on May 26, 2017, 12:15:06 PM
oh thanks  :) I hope that means there's a possibility of it working.  I have some great sound clips like trains, spooky, robin.  I did a lot of cool stuff with music and sounds in my Sim's neighborhoods.  Maybe the placement spot could even be marked with a stone with a fossil or something.

the way sounds work in this game is : or it is linked to a building like the "crowd effect sound" linked to an house. this kind of linked sound plays all the time continuously. so if you want to "happends" only some time, you need to add to it a very long "silence" at the end. for example 1 sec sound with at the end 1min59 of silence. the game will play this 2mins long wave countinuously.

the other way to call sounds is like the animals, but animals needs animations and it is when it switch from an animation to another (animals have a walk and 3 idles animations) there is a very little pourcentage chance (which you can control the chance) that the sound effectively "happends"
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

hmm, sounds complicated. Maybe someone will give it a try though when they have time.  Maybe Luke will surprise us.  :)

The Pilgrim

I tried experimenting with this earlier this year. The concept of the two minute silence is great but the wave files (even for timed silence) add up quickly and lag sets in really fast. The solution in theory is a sequntial instance pattern in the code that calls for the sound ie. ... instanceaudio sound 1 sound1 sound1 sound1 sound2.  Where sound 1 is a silent track and sound 2 is the desired sound. I just couldn't get it to work because I am retarded when it comes to coding anything.

Abandoned

@The Pilgrim I remember reading that on BL site.  What about mp3 format instead of wave?

RedKetchup

the game only accept xWMAEncode type of wave
and yeah instance audio is the way animals works.
the problem is the trigger ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

oh, too bad about format type.  For my Sims, the mp3 plays with window media player and I found that in the game I could use a shortcut and have the actual mp3 file out of the game to reduce file sizes.  I could also shorten mp3 file with music editor.  I doubt it would work the same converting to xWMAEncodetype wave.  I think an actual wave editor program would be needed if at all possible.

Bartender

I've been trying to experiment a bit with this at some point, but I couldn't get my sounds to work. Perhaps the settings of my wavs weren't right though, is anything known about that?

Abandoned

@Bartender I hope someone can answer that.  I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings or coding in Banished.  Don't know how you guys are able to make all those fantastic mods.  I guess I was hope making thing invisible would then only mean simply swapping one sound file for another.  My sound file are all mp3 format and what I managed to do with them was only pretty simple basic stuff.  Made a big enjoyable difference to my game though.  :)

The Pilgrim

@Bartender   it must be 44.1khz @16-bits. I know the better standard is 48k @32 but the game won't support it.

Bartender

Thanks @The Pilgrim!

I managed to get it working, though I'm afraid the coding seems very limited. I don't think that it's possible to set it to play a certain sequence of files like you proposed, at least I don't see any hints at that in the code that is available.

I did find a way to make it randomly select a file out of a list of options each time the camera comes within the set range, though then it keeps repeating that sound until the camera moves away again. It's not ideal yet, but it might be a step in the right direction ;).