News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Sigtuna - Anders and Ella

Started by Tom Sawyer, May 29, 2017, 04:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Intro

A new adventure was started in the Nordic forests and I would like to show you how it goes or ends for this sweet couple here. It is my first posted village on WOB. It might look a bit strange to see a modder playing his own mod but I was inspired by Necora and found it a nice idea. I'm not sure yet what it will be. A kind of walkthrough maybe or just a funny story. And I hope I get some ideas for changes and new content.

My conditions are the couple start on a medium forest map in fair climate. I want to play with farming and different crops. So it's not a struggling survival game which I would like to play on another map later. Nevertheless, this is also a serious game with disasters on and without debug of course. If something goes wrong and my people fail then it ends.

I start this map as a pure Nordic game and want to add buildings of other mods in the ongoing story. What I definitely want to build is the EB Windmill because it is a favorite and a Nordic original. I would like to load the 1.0.6 version which was going in the food production menu but cannot find them anymore. Please help.

For the beginning I pimped my landscape by Natural Diversity Light (Bartender) and Wild Roses (tanypradator). The roses I made work in the North growing around rocks and be gathered by the wild food tool as well as by the gatherers hut. So let's see what the story brings. :)

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer looking forward to seeing the boreal forest and how the Anders and Ella start works.  Regarding Eb windmill for 106, the mod was windmill v1 no eb in front of the name, but I do not see any of his mods on the 106 mod download lists.   ???

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 1 - The First Year

Thanks to Kid for sending the Mill! What I forgot to write is that I use the Norseman mod for real time aging. I want to test it and don't like to play speed aging anyway. Of course it will be hard with an Adam and Eve start but I will fight for every little banny.^^

My brave people don't lose any time and start to build the first house as soon as possible. It is still winter and they would freeze to death without a place to warm up. Norsemen are able to build a Nordic log cabin with a couple right from the start. Without the racial bonus I would chose a wooden hut for the shortest building time. The first firewood is collected quickly and their life is saved for now.

Spring is coming and the next task is food production. With potatoes in their bag they would be stupid to just eat all of them. So they make a small field to put them in the ground and hope for a good year. A small shed is built quickly and what's that? A reindeer crosses the building site .. Fault! ;D

Near the house I found a field of stone with wild roses growing around and it seems, reindeer like it too. I will not harvest them now because they will be still available in winter and can give a nice soup then. While Mr. Anderson is fighting with another deer there, Ella cares about the growing potatoes. The work in the field is exhausting and so they switch the workplace to let her idle in the forest a bit and to gather some berries. This is a key strategy to be successful in the North. The summery forests are full of blueberries and it's the best source of getting fruit here to stay healthy.

The harvest season begins and frost can hit the plants already in September. I want every little potato from this field and so my Elly has to help out. Before harvesting they built a second shed next to the field to store about 300 potatos from this 9 x 7 cropfield. Not bad.

Gathered firewood is not enough to heat the house in winter and so some wood is to be chopped. The work is done. A nice stock of food is in the sheds and my couple is prepared for the winter. I hope they will use the long nights for .. you know. So see you next year! :)

Nilla

Love the start from your little story. The idea to add Tany´s wild rose bushes is excellent, we do have a lot of them. Sigtuna is a proper name for a fair climate, it's in the Stockholm region. But how on earth did the reindeer get all the way from the mountains there, I can't understand. ;)

Looking forward on more chapters.

brads3

it will be interesting to see how different the modders play.

embx61

@Tom Sawyer

Yes, I deleted quite a few of my old separate mods after the production sets were finished as keeping updating the separate mods was a sore.

But I compiled a version of the mill that put it on the vanilla food resources menu.

Download
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

embx61

oops should have read the thread again, apparently Kid send the mill PKM already. O well :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer delightful story and very informative.  Looking forward to more.  :)

QueryEverything

The Norseman Mod has been really good (thank you very much for releasing it the other day @Tom Sawyer ), I look forward to how your BanniNorse conquer their environment, or become 1 with it.  :)  I am enthusiastic to see where your journey takes you. :)

I never find it odd when a modder 'blogs', I like it.  For 2 reasons - 1, we get to see how the modder envisions their work, and 2, we get to see the modder playing it, and getting a feel for it - to see how they work out the little kinks they find, how they would 'play it' and come across ways to tweak things etc.

It's all great for us to give our feedback, and enjoy a mod, and use it 'off book' in some cases, but sometimes we get to have more playthru value than the modders themselves, and sometimes we each miss things (your vision for how to play it & for us, you feel the 'playthru value', so it's a great way to get back to basics on things and see how it feels.

:D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 2 - Toools

Yesterday I played the next year and want to tell you. My couple was very busy the whole winter and they made two great things. The blacksmith chain and a sweet son. I don't know what they had in mind or why they could not agree on one name but ok .. I will find a nice nick.

It's always a good idea to start iron processing soon because nothing is more frustrating than making tools without tools. It even can lead to a crisis if you are short in food for example. I made a change to the bloomery as we talked about. It is 50% slower here but still able to process enough ore. I think it makes sense and gives way to the DS furnace if loaded or a native smeltery later.

In April a big herd of reindeer arrived near my settlement and they had offspring too. I had to take one of them to get a hide for little Jenny.^^ Now they had enough material to tailor some warm clothes but the question was where to make it. I did not want to build a big stone house just for a few parkas. It really needs a better solution.

So I was looking for a suitable alternative and decided to load the famous Mini Buildings (Black Liquid). The workshop can make reindeer parkas if loaded below and I gave it a Nordic footprint to match the terrain. I was satisfied with this solution and my parkas were made quickly. It has a noticeable effect. Without coats they were leaving the work very often just to warm up for the next short session. Now it's much more efficient.

In summer I let the smithy work. With a couple of new tools and a small stock of iron I felt save and could go for the next project. A chapel to attract nomads because I want my settlement to grow as fast as possible. I found a nice place a bit away. There is no reason to have it close to houses where it can easily catch fire. Or, @Nilla?^^

So my Ella started to cut down trees in this area and with a small storage yard just for the building site her paths were very short. She could finish the chapel in late autumn and I hope for nomads next spring.

This year was warmer than the first one and Andy was able to harvest the full field for 350 potato. It was even enough time for him to collect some berries before frost came. My family did a good job this year and can spend some time for a winter walk around the new chapel. :)

Necora

Hey @Tom Sawyer I'm glad you decided to start this blog! Already it is more interesting than mine ;)

I have never used the north myself, I don't know, it seemed so different to what I am used to that I saw it looked a bit, I guess intimidating is the best word. Overwhelming maybe. Just very different.

I have to say though, it looks beautiful. I have a couple of questions, the hunter/gatherer buttons in the north, how do they work? Do they work like the clear resources tool and you can select an individual deer or do they function like a work place with a small radius that you just place and say 'hunt this' or 'fish this'. If if is the latter, it is a really good idea. I've never been one for micromanaging much, but that is because I always rush to larger settlements (and my mods probably are a result of this) but looking at these shots, I do like the idea of getting a lot more hands on with an Adam and Eve (or Anders and Ella) start. It is a different type of game play than I have done but it does look very interesting.

I also like the small bloomery and charcoal pit (would fit nicely alongside my pitch kiln!), again maximizing the micromanaging aspect. Those look like they would fit really well with my pine forest set, actually the red buildings in some other pics I've seen of yours would look great with a lot of my sets, I might start them up together and see how well they work. True North style!

EDIT - I don't want to pimp my mods here, but the Pine Set industry buildings are all very small, rather slow, and are just wooden cabins/shacks. They might be a nicer fit to your village here than the big vanilla blacksmith/tailor and add variation to the mini buildings. I made them because I always used those mini buildings from K, and wanted some diversity in them.

Abandoned

@Necora , there are several separate 106 mods of the red and white Nordic buildings, Tom's first Nordic Wooden House, Nordic School, Nordic wharehouse, and Kid's Nordic Houses, no extra building materials required and no not require the North to play.

Nilla

Maybe the choice of the churchplace is good....... maybe not. You can never be sure, maybe some crazy evil men from Värmland find a way to Sigtuna. Our old church stood alone, it didn't help.  :'( >:(  (I'm sure you can find some information in German or English about Södra Råda gamla kyrka if you're interested)

When I look at your beautiful pictures, I can say; a better fitting blacksmith would be nice. The vanilla doesn't look good beneath the old buildings. How do you make these 6 pictures together like that? It looks really great!

brads3

TOM,the mini mod is a good addition for sure. i don't know how to play without it. i use the TH for nomads as it is quick and doesn't require any other buildings.the option for stone tools is a big help in CC plays.there is a small toolshed mod. it is similar to KID's F.O. BS.

NECORA, the hunter has a small radius but hunts like it is much bigger.0 build cost if you find a clear spot.it does taake some micro-managing too. as the deer run away from it,the production goes down.if you move the hunter with the herd,you can get better numbers.
    as to the adam and eve starts,we do need a new A&E mod. the pine forests and nat div mods don't work well with the other start options.there was a suggestion at BL about changing the A&E start to 2 couples.that would make for a better start.

Karlieb

Quote from: Necora on May 30, 2017, 05:01:49 AM

...the hunter/gatherer buttons in the north, how do they work? Do they work like the clear resources tool and you can select an individual deer or do they function like a work place with a small radius that you just place and say 'hunt this' or 'fish this'. If if is the latter, it is a really good idea.

I'm not Mr. Sawyer, but the latter is how they've been working for me; I don't use the North (I want to, but I die at the thought of rearranging my mods again) but these are available separately.

Quote from: Necora on May 30, 2017, 05:01:49 AMI also like the small bloomery and charcoal pit (would fit nicely alongside my pitch kiln!), again maximizing the micromanaging aspect. Those look like they would fit really well with my pine forest set, actually the red buildings in some other pics I've seen of yours would look great with a lot of my sets, I might start them up together and see how well they work. True North style!

I've used the charcoal pit with your pitch kiln but the flags don't quite match up (it works, the output works with Pine stuff but the resource limit doesn't work ;probably because The North things are for 1.06 and I use 1.07). And yes, the red buildings go great as the shade of red is so close I can't tell a difference. Nordic house with Crystal Cliffs red barn in link below from my review of the Pine Set.

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/uploads/monthly_2017_05/meadowvillage.jpg.30bbd1650876099430326b14f131cbdd.jpg

Quote from: Necora on May 30, 2017, 05:01:49 AMthe Pine Set industry buildings are all very small, rather slow, and are just wooden cabins/shacks. They might be a nicer fit to your village here than the big vanilla blacksmith/tailor and add variation to the mini buildings. I made them because I always used those mini buildings from K, and wanted some diversity in them.

I was thinking the same thing; specifically the pine storage unit and the non-painted versions of the pine blacksmith and the pine tailor. And the trees. ;)

@Tom Sawyer Thank you for this blog(?)! I've been very curious about The North but haven't had the mental fortitude yet to figure out a new mod order and what would work in it. I pretty much only use CC for the maps and the start conditions these days. The rest of it just isn't 'rustic' enough for me, I guess. ;)