News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Playing The North

Started by twilightbreeze, June 14, 2017, 06:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilightbreeze

Ok, I am trying the North. I deleted the DSSV items, and loaded The North.

Visually, it's wonderful, I love the look of the terrains and the various non-vanilla buildings look interesting.

However, I was rather disappointed that the basic buildings (Hunter, Herbalist, Fishing, Trader) are all just the vanilla buildings. All the other buildings look great.....I was hoping for a different look than vanilla.

Also, I'm not sure what speed Tom is used to playing the game at, but even at max speed these people are so slow!! I am used to the speeds of the vanilla game, and this mod runs very slow in comparison. Kinda frustrating.  Not sure I'm gonna have that much patience with this crawl.

Otherwise, it's really great idea.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Nilla

First i can only say, I've played the North a lot, also built larger settlements, but never noticed any problems with the speed.

I'm not sure, that I should say, what I will say next, but as an "old inventory" on this page, I'll take the liberty to say how I fell anyhow.

This is a webpage used by a community of Banished modders and Banished players. We discuss mods, help eachother, make suggestions. Some of us create mods, some of us test them in different ways, some of us tell, what we like and what we dislike, some of us argue in a light, jokey way. But one important thing; it's a friendly, helpful atmosphere, based on mutual respect.

Sorry, @twilightbreeze, this is personal: I don't find the attitude in your threads friendly and respectful. If something doesn't work the way you want, you blame others in a to me condescending way. I don't like that to be common here on WOB. I don't like when people get offended by words.

Tom Sawyer

Where is your viking nature, Nilla? I'm not offended and don't see something offending in this posting. I want feedback plain-spoken and without pink packaging. So please don't tell me how "awesome" this mod is. I want to hear the facts. ;D

To replace vanilla buildings is a thing I'm working on. Will be nice to have a full Nordic set with blacksmith, herbalist and so on... It was not the intention of this mod from the beginning. It came from changing the terrain and creating a new landscape. Buildings were added later step by step. I use the Mini Buildings in my play through to fill this lack but it's not perfect.

And what do you mean with low speed? Game progress or what exactly?

twilightbreeze

As a former modder, I do understand the time and effort it takes to make a mod. That said, I am a 50+ disabled woman, no one coddles me, and I don't coddle anyone. I do not intend to be rude, but like Tom says, I don't mince words. If there is an issue with a mod, I critique it (NOT criticize, there is a difference), and let the person know what may or may not be working in it.

Too many modders (and yes, I speak from experience) do not want to hear the flaws, but only that it's great, perfect, good job.....even if the user is struggling with it. That's not fun. Modders do need to know what does and doesn't work, or the point of the mod is, well, pointless. I do offer my opinion, but the only time I did object to a post was when a certain modder went totally ballistic and ranted off a rather immature "how dare you" post to me. Somehow, that's my fault??

I will go on record saying that all the mods in this game, even the small ones, show great patience, and talent, and I hope to see many more difference ideas in the near future. But, I'm sure a modder does not want a mod to remain incomplete, or not working well, just for the sake of their ego. I never did. 

Now, I am sorry that you feel the way you do Nilla, I like your mods, and I am using some. Try to understand, I AM on your side.

Ok, now all that said and done, thank you Tom for explaining the vanilla buildings are a work in progress. That makes me feel better and I eagerly anticipate the updating of this very beautiful and comprehensive mod. As for the speed, I did adjust some of the levels in my options for graphics, and they did speed up a bit but still no where near the speed of the vanilla game. I'm not sure what the problem is. I can try tweaking my options again, but I was trying to make sure it wasn't also something in the mod itself. I will see what I can do. Thank you again for your maturity, Tom. It's refreshing.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Paeng

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 14, 2017, 12:51:24 PMI want feedback plain-spoken

This is not about plain (and hopefully well thought out) feedback but about attitude.

We can do quite well without Reddit-type bashing.

EDIT

QuoteBeen playing computer games and internet surfing since before most of you were born, lol.

There you go again. Maybe you should get a bit aquainted with our member base first.

=> built in '53
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

I think I have to explain, why I wrote my last thread the way I did. I know @Tom Sawyer, that you would not be offended and if you would have bin, I know that you are very well able to defend yourself, no mercenary vikings needed.  That's not the point. And of cause everyone should be allowed to say what they like and dislike; that a modder should be more happy to hear honest opinions, than only "great" and "awesome". That, too is not the point.

The background is what happened yesterday between @embx61 and @twilightbreeze. I can only say; it made me sad! It's a thing, I don't want see on a webpage like this. Unfortunately it might  happen, especially in an international community like this, with language problems, different mentalities, different personalities, that someone gets hurt by the words of someone else. I can confess, that I have offended people, too. But if I do, I take a step back. I don't use the same vocabulary the next day, no matter, if I understand the reaction from the day before or find it ridiculous. It's a matter of respect for the community.

We might have a lot of things in common @twilightbreeze. As you can see, I'm not afraid to say my opinion either, I'm female, disabled, not the youngest anymore but one thing we don't have in common; I'm no modder, never was, and no ambitions to be one. I'm fully content to be a testpilot. So sorry, I can say for sure; you don't like my mods!

ancientmuse

@twilightbreeze

The mod works at a perfectly fine normal speed on my computer, the same normal speeds as the vanilla game.

If you've got a slow issue problem, then it's not the mod, it's your computer... you've either got an old graphics card or you don't have enough ram. 

A lot of these mods tend to have more pixels/detail which means more work for your graphics card, which means more ram usage, which means more motherboard processing, which means your fans are working harder to keep things cooled.  The harder your computer works to generate the graphics play, the hotter your computer gets which causes lag if all the different fans aren't keeping the temps stable.

So you've either got an old graphics card that can't handle it, or an overall older computer system that can't handle it.

If your graphics card is fine, then the slow down may be attributed to your motherboard and fans working overtime because the cpu is getting too warm/hot from having to work so hard which can also cause lag/slow down.

Oh and by the way.... I'm a 50 year old fart that's been a computer gaming nerd for the past 25+ years.

RedKetchup

for sure, Luke really need to delete this 10x and 5x button lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ancientmuse

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 14, 2017, 03:55:51 PM

LOL

Can't say that I've ever used the 10x button, but I've definitely used the 5x button to speed things up when I just want my bannies to get something done quickly.

;D

RedKetchup

Quote from: ancientmuse on June 14, 2017, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on June 14, 2017, 03:55:51 PM

LOL

Can't say that I've ever used the 10x button, but I've definitely used the 5x button to speed things up when I just want my bannies to get something done quickly.

;D
;D  ;D  ;D
thanks gods people dont have access to the 25X 50X 100X buttons hahaha
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

Haha Twilight, with your 50+ you are a rather young girl on this board.^^

I don't use Reddit but I think we are far away from a kind of bashing here and that's good. Maybe tastes are also different in this case. For me it's too cuddly sometimes. I think it was a bit unlucky yesterday. I'm sure EB will stay in this forum and if not I'll drive over to Holland and get him back... ;D

So it is a fps problem. I did not notice that in my tests and actually the North should be even faster than vanilla. At least with forest on your screen where oak trees are eating fps and they don't grow here. My buildings have more poly than vanilla houses but I did not see any relevant impact on fps. The only thing I noticed were large fields of barley or rye. These models could be optimized. Maybe something else is not right in your case. For higher fps it also can be important to use DX11 in your graphics options. Let me know about your trip up north.

ancientmuse

@Tom Sawyer

I haven't had any "slow" issues with The North at all.

None, zip, zilch, nada.

The mod works beautifully as far as I'm concerned....

.... and no, that's not some fluffy pink unicorn kissy wissy patronizing post to you and your mod.

The damn mod works at proper speeds, dagnabit !

:P

Abandoned

I had no problem running the North either, I almost always use speed 1x, since I'm a bird watcher LOL.

ancientmuse

Quote from: Abandoned on June 14, 2017, 04:34:42 PM
I had no problem running the North either, I almost always use speed 1x, since I'm a bird watcher LOL.

1x speed.... Really ?

I always play my games at 2x speed because otherwise I'm sitting there picking the lint out of my belly button from sheer boredom waiting for things to get done.

*chuckle*

;D

brads3

I'll protect you ,NILLA. <<<< pushes NILLA IN SNOW BANK.
:P HAHAHA now you all can't find her to pick on. why you all trying to steal my job anyhow? as i always say"if you want it,take the advil and bills with it too".

i can tell you a trick to speed game up but you won't like it. undo the full screen option. lay out buildings and send workers to work. then minimize screen. it will go zooom fast. like 10x faster. that isn't a joke either. don't take a nap while you do that,everyone will die.ohh turn off the autosaves will help some.

why is RK being mean tonight??? he threatens sooo many players with that statement about killing our button.i know some play at 1x speed. they have bigger computers i guess.or they start stuff and take lots of naps.