News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Roads development questions

Started by embx61, August 06, 2017, 08:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

Hi my fellow Modders.

I am currently trying to create some roads.

I made a texture 1024x1024 with several the same scaled road textures on it so the game can randomly chose a tile from that texture.
I think that is how it works.

All is well on that department although I need to do some more scaling so it looks okay but this is just a test to see first if it works before making it look nice and on scale.

If it snows however my road get completely covered in snow. Snow is visible on Luke's Vanilla Road but his road is still visible on the map.
Anyway how I can make my roads just as Luke's roads as so they will not disappear in the winter?

I know Discrepancy made a road mod but sadly it is not in the Laboratory for me to download and look at his sources.

Luke uses apparently 2 textures one is just the diffuse but I see also a link to a RoadTiles.png texture whatever that texture does I don't know.
I shall do a test and see if using Luke's one works or not as now I just copied my diffuse texture in it's place but maybe someone knows if I can just use Luke's hidden texture.

Feel a bit sad that Luke hide all his assets like meshes, textures, from us so it can be a bit cumbersome to figure it all out without having a clear view of the textures he used.

Thanks

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

embx61

I did a test by just referencing to Luke's hidden Texture RoadTiles and I see no difference after loading in the game.
I even get if I just using Lukes RoadTiles.png the semi transparent sides on the roads just as in Vanilla. :)

That is was a pleasant surprise as this saves a texture and it will look like in Vanilla on the sides of the roads instead of a harsh straight line. :)

So now only see if I can find a way so the roads not disappear in the winter and I can make a bunch of roads. :)

Well, I going to make the roads anyway even if they disappear in the winter but there must be a way as it works for Luke.

RedKetchup

i am totally noob in that domaine, unfortunately.

the only thing i can maybe think.

doesnt use semi transparent AlphaModel ? cause alpha models arent usually gather snow !?!

i can also go check RotP mod and see if it gather snow :P
EDIT: RotP road has snow covered entirely the road (which is also same problem as you have)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

I give the the texture AlphaModel and see what happens.

brads3

did you check the BL site? there is a discussion on that but i do not remember exactly where. it may be under NECORA's page when he was beginning to mod last winter. though it is a lot of pages,there were some goodies in it. there is notes on the tree developments and water.

RedKetchup

Ha ! i found a "parade" ? i mean i found a patch for it lol

i started by coverting my stone road to semi transparent with an alpha layer, painted it white and saved for the web....
didnt work

i came back , made some cntrl-alt-Z before i painted white and let it full black.....
didnt work

still got snow

How i patched it :)

i edited the Terrain/StoneRoadMaterial.rsc and i replaced the link for the snow:

MaterialInstance resource
{
Material _material = "Material\TerrainTiledSnowDecal\TerrainTiledSnowDecalMaterial.rsc";
Texture _textures
[
{
String _name = "diffuse";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\EgyptStoneRoadTexture.rsc";
}
{
String _name = "tiles";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\RoadTileTexture.rsc";
}
{
String _name = "snow";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\EgyptTerrainSnowTexture.rsc";
}
]
}

to lead to a new link: TerrainSnowTexture.rsc (i renamed it and i put Egypt in front to make sure it is unique)
then i took the original resource TerrainSnowTexture.rsc file and copied to my mod, i ve renamed EgyptTerrainSnowTexture.rsc and then i edited it

ImageBuffer resource : "Texture/TerrainTexture.rsc"
{
String _imageName = "Terrain\EgyptTerrainSnow.png";
}

then i made an exact copy of my stone road.png and renamed it EgyptTerrainSnow.png

copied and testing  .....
see the screenshot :)

RedKetchup

do what i did :) and you should be fixed :)

;D

Tom Sawyer

We talked about it some time ago how to remove snow from roads and ground textures via alpha channel. There is a thread by Discrepancy. Found it here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg22822.

RedKetchup

@Tom Sawyer  is probably right !!

what i did is certainly a wrong way to do. it does the job but not 100% good

the strange thing i did tried the transparency and added an alpha layer which i ve put full white or full black and i didnt saw results :P

but like i said : i am a noob so .....
go to the way as @Tom Sawyer said : he is way better moddler than me :)

embx61

Thanks guys :)

I shall read that thread from Discrepancy's road.

Tom Sawyer

Nope. You are the big daddy of the world of Banished! I'm just the sick guy from the north. ;D

RedKetchup

so i ve checked the @Discrepancy  threat and after 4-5 tests due my misunderstanding of how to do ...
i finally make it work as Tom said :)

it looks better probably, yeah. Note that the way i did i didnt disliked it lol

embx61

Hooray!

I get it to work by using as explained by Tom by using a transparent layer and an alpha channel. Use about 50% opacity eraser and save for web.

QueryEverything

Does this mean more roads? Oh, happy days :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

Yeps, more roads are upcoming soon :)