News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

You want it darker?

Started by kid1293, September 19, 2017, 09:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

I hope modding for Banished doesn't die down and people move on.  Just because the maker of the game seems to have moved on from Banished, doesn't mean players want to.  Players will like it even more with more mods over time.

I still play Age of Empires released in 1997 and the disk works even now on Windows 7.  Someone made a new gameplay mod for Age of Empires 2 (which needs Age 1 to work)  a few years after the original came out which renewed the game.

I still play The Sims 2 and even today there is a whole modding community for the game which makes it better and new.

They are later versions of those games, but I don't have an interest in buying them and throwing out the older versions when the older versions work just fine and I like them, like them more thanks to the modding communities.

kid1293

I must agree.
When you like a game you don't want to trade it in for something 'better'.
I have played Morrowind off and on since it came out, Oblivion and Skyrim
do not get close to that. They have better graphics but I like 'my' old Morrowind.

DesoPL

Personally i could love some european alike buildings what is showed in AoE2, in Banished. And i don't mean here copy paste.

brads3

sometimes making a game "better" as you say doesn't work that way. games seem to hit a peak and find a version that everyone likes,expanding it farther changes the game enough that it loses players.SC 4 was awesome but nobody likes SC 5,FS 13 had  new maps and mods constantly but i don't think FS15 is as popular.

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on September 22, 2017, 01:12:43 PMI must agree.
When you like a game you don't want to trade it in for something 'better'.

Indeed... sorry to bring up SC4 again, but look how long that lasts... and EA considered SC "dead" a long time ago (not being overjoyed by a community that just would not let it "die", not even to buy their desastrous follow-up a dozen years later).

Even if Banished is much smaller, it has that charme that binds people...  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

we need to combine SC4 and banished. that would be cool.make our own maps and have the control of banished to dictate what buildings we want.

Oona

I'm so happy to have found a community of intelligent, creative, like-minded people who are genuinely nice, but very disappointed that it will probably go dead in the near future. Sigh. 😞
Some days I'm amazing. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.

Paeng

Very cool set... just built a small (happy) stronghold (here), it's easy to place and has a nice variety of buildings. Also easy to decorate with other mods.

I'd agree that a 3-piece diagonal addon (diag in / diag / diag out) would loosen up things a bit... yeah, I know you hate making them LOL   ;)

One small question about the banners - they are hanging about 1 meter away from the wall, which looks a bit odd... if it's not possible to get them up against the walls, maybe make a little post to hang them on?

kid1293

About banners - Rotate 180 degrees!

edit - they are meant for The Keep only.

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on September 23, 2017, 03:52:36 AMthey are meant for The Keep only.

Oh, I see... didn't realize that   :)

DesoPL

Sir we will have more for this set? Like more houses, or tavern or anything?

Abandoned

:D  There is a tavern, how about a school, for that poor child.  ;D

edit - Please

Oona

@Kid I like staves churches a lot, but I like this community more.

Borgund church in Banished would make me very happy.

But the creative people here like, respect and appreciate each other. As a group you create more than you each could alone. This makes me happier. This is why I do not request the church.

Luke has to move on. No doubt he is grateful to the people who love Banished. He may have even made friends among you. But putting more time into it would be professional suicide. There's no way around that.

@Kid, you owe us nothing. If you never want to mod again we're thankful for what you have given us.

But people still like your mods and I'm guessing they use them in different ways. Not everyone insists you mod in a way that keeps you dependent on Luke's input.

You may not have stopped to think of this, but you actually have a fanbase. If you continue modding, I think people will still appreciate them and use them. People probably use your mods in ways you never thought of when you were creating them.

It seems you're in a win-win situation here. If you decide to quit and do something else, you'll be happy doing that. If you keep modding, you get the continued support and appreciation of your fans. I wish I was you.
Some days I'm amazing. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.

kid1293

Just a quick reply. It is getting late here.

Stave churches are fantastic and I would love to have one in game.
It could lead to a whole new set of (wood) buildings. Nice color tone.
But...
Such a project is much more than we do now and it can/will burden the computer.
I don't know about coding but Luke made this game on his own and, in part, created
his own graphic engine. It is customized to Banished as it is and you can see the limits if you
fill a large map with buildings.

But the style of these old churches can be adapted and built upon. But then it is a fantasy.

QueryEverything

@kid1293 my absence has allowed me to always visit with new surprise and awe each time, (not to say I wasn't surprised or in awe when I was on every day ;) just now I get a big whammmoooo of it, like a java hit), and this is no exception.

What an unbelievable blast of joy and excitement I got when I saw this, amazing!! 
I play(ed) Wurm Online A lot, far too much (I used to dream in character), and these buildings remind me so much of those hours amongst my friends and alliance, building and gathering, killing and hunting the bears, the Champion trolls, and on occasion server hunts. 

Moreso though, this shows your beautiful attention to detail, and I do love your art and creativity.  I'm not just fangirling, from these screenshots, this is going to be a fabulous mod, and I would love to play it!!

Quote from: kid1293 on September 22, 2017, 04:31:10 AM
Modding will not be the same.
We have no hope of getting more hints on how to build mods.
It will only be what we can find out ourselves. Some of us are good at it. :)

Most importantly - There is an idea that we should 'finalize' this game and move on.
That can spread to modders and that will be the end.

edit - I like the idea of staves church!!!

Some of you, most (all ;) ) of you are excellent at it - and each and every one of you are constantly learning and bringing new and improved mods to the game, you are all bending the code, the Matrix (if you will), to bring us new and interesting mods to enhance our lives, and our hours. 

I have my own issues with Luke, and as you know I've not kept that a secret, but - what the modders in this gaming community have been able to achieve in spite of him in the last 9 months alone - that is AMAZING!!!  I don't think any of you have hit the end of the road just yet, I think there's plenty more in the tank.

Anyway ... back on track - the mod ... What a wonderful mod - how very cool!!  :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]