Author Topic: Is Bluray the final physical media?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Is Bluray the final physical media?
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
I like to have disks in hand for my favorite movies and tv shows.  I get the best image and sound possible and full control over its presentation.

With so much streaming available nowadays and more coming, I think Blu may be the last physical format we can ever get our hands on.

What do you think?

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline nmid

• Founder
  • Vendor
Re: Is Bluray the final physical media?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:16:21 AM »
Just wait till we get Holo-deck / 3D type of viewing.
I'm sure we'll get another type of physical storage transfer medium to handle that :D

Give it another 15-20 years :)

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
I would be very surprised if Bluray were the last. I can't see the legacy companies not trying to milk every dime they can out of physical media.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
2 companies are already working on it (Sony and Panasonic)  :) a 300GB replacement called Optical disks.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/a-replacement-for-blu-ray-is-coming-does-anyone-want-it-1200569762/
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »
I know I am rather late out the gate on this, but what do you think of distributing stuff on thumb drives instead of rotating storage? 

A write-locked chip set has the advantage of just plugging it in and using it without needing anything other than a USB port.

Also, low power requirements; no moving parts; probably less costly too.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
2 companies are already working on it (Sony and Panasonic)  :) a 300GB replacement called Optical disks.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/a-replacement-for-blu-ray-is-coming-does-anyone-want-it-1200569762/

Multi-layer Bluray can also hold hundreds of gigs.  They will have to fight Sony to get traction - although Sony could very well implode from the massive hack they just had revealed.  A year of data mining including PII, business plans and practices, HR documents, and upcoming movie projects just to start the list of data just dumped onto the public internet.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »
I know I am rather late out the gate on this, but what do you think of distributing stuff on thumb drives instead of rotating storage? 

A write-locked chip set has the advantage of just plugging it in and using it without needing anything other than a USB port.

Also, low power requirements; no moving parts; probably less costly too.

I have wanted to see physical memory media used like SD cards but I guess the permanence of an optical disc is probably more stable than a memory stick/card/chip.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
I know that all providers would like to get out of the physical distribution business as soon as possible. Before Netflix added streaming, they were spending $700 million a year in disc mailing costs alone.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
I have wanted to see physical memory media used like SD cards but I guess the permanence of an optical disc is probably more stable than a memory stick/card/chip.

Not necessarily. Librarians and archivists discovered a few years back that DVDs degrade much faster than people thought they would. That was a huge disappointment, since DVDs hold so much more data than CDs. Turns out all that storage came with a cost.

Archiving computer generated documents has a whole set of problems no one thought of at first. Now people are trying ways to archive whole HDDs, since one needs both the operating system and the proper version of the generating program to access the documents. Technologies like XML help, since the documents are basically marked up text files, but even XML in the hands of Microsoft can be twisted. I still remember with horror the first time I looked at a .docx file in my XML editor.   :o  I get shivers just thinking about it.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
<snip>

Archiving computer generated documents has a whole set of problems no one thought of at first. Now people are trying ways to archive whole HDDs, since one needs both the operating system and the proper version of the generating program to access the documents. Technologies like XML help, since the documents are basically marked up text files, but even XML in the hands of Microsoft can be twisted. I still remember with horror the first time I looked at a .docx file in my XML editor.   :o  I get shivers just thinking about it.

Yes, even international standards don't help when programmers come out to play.  The one thing I have found over the years is that one man's archive is another's garbage.

XML is a pretty good kick at the cat, but it is so open that all kinds of misinterpretations are taking place.

Even the U.S. DOD has problems with secure transmissions of physical data.  The best I was ever involved with was Multics R12 which only got a B1 rating because to get A1 you had to have a secure method of updating it, and we didn't have one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:41:39 AM by A Nonny Moose »

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
XML is a pretty good kick at the cat, but it is so open that all kinds of misinterpretations are taking place.

Indeed. I have done all my encoding using the standards of the Text Encoding Initiative, an international group that has tried to set standards that will support interchange of historical documents and manuscripts. People also use it for electronic scholarly editions of texts with multiple witnesses. It seems to be getting pretty wide acceptance, though some seem intent on doing their own thing. One site that has some of the documents I worked on converted them to its own markup rather than use TEI. Fortunately they had the money to hire graduate students to do it, so, hey, it's their money.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »

Not necessarily. Librarians and archivists discovered a few years back that DVDs degrade much faster than people thought they would. That was a huge disappointment, since DVDs hold so much more data than CDs. Turns out all that storage came with a cost.

There are some archive quality optical discs that are guaranteed for 100 years.  Flash storage to include all forms of nand memory only last 5 to 10 years.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
For all our modern technology, the best archive that is readily portable is a book of acid free paper bound in an acid free binding.  Rather bulky, but it worked for centuries.

Then if you want to go for millennia, carved in stone and sheltered from the elements seems best.  Deeply incised stone carvings have been around for at least 10 millennia.

20th century storage methods offer hope, but no cigar so far.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »
For all our modern technology, the best archive that is readily portable is a book of acid free paper bound in an acid free binding.  Rather bulky, but it worked for centuries.

Then if you want to go for millennia, carved in stone and sheltered from the elements seems best.  Deeply incised stone carvings have been around for at least 10 millennia.

20th century storage methods offer hope, but no cigar so far.

And the stone works better for long-term storage than clay. I had a colleague who read and transcribed cuneiform and his pictures of clay tablets always looked very ambiguous to me.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
Cuneiform has got to be worse than Egyptian hieroglyphics.  Thinking about it, I suspect it must be some form of phonetic shorthand similar to Pittman.