News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing RK Editor Choice beta 08 -09-10-11

Started by Nilla, February 05, 2018, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on February 14, 2018, 08:55:03 AM
I did answer about the climate, yesterday in that extra very small entry.
Quote from: Nilla on February 13, 2018, 01:58:04 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on February 13, 2018, 11:47:45 AM
what is your weather condition start ?

fair

Couldn't it be easier to make a special manure pile, like a barn. You wouldn't need to see any bucket of dung. I would like the fertilizer to be stored alone, with nothing else, not even on stockpiles together with firewood and building materials.

It's good that the palm trees don't lose their leaves. It doesn't disturbs me that they are in the game, not at all. Normally I wouldn't have grown any on such a map. But very nice on a desert map. But this is a test, so I grow palmtrees in the snow. But as I said, they seem immortal, like some other trees. I'm not sure, if this is bad or good. I only want to tell.

we would need to see how they grow in harsh climate.

i ll check about palmtrees :)
i know to compensate the poor output of orchards, i know i ve put like 3x much longer lives...

about fertilizer... you know everything works with flag .... i cant target just "RawMaterialFertilizer.rsc" i need to target .... Custom7 which is ... Miscelleneous.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Gatherer

Are custom 8 and 9 still reserved for future use? Sounds like a good time to use one of those in the present.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

I've just read, that there's a new version of this mod. Perfect timing. I wanted to end this map now anyway.

First a small summary of my experience of this mod so far.

Do I like it? Yes, of cause I do. It's a quality mod! It's nice, when every building have a new look; a "Red look". It's nice to see the familiar NMT buildings, in many different shapes. It's nice to find out what material is needed and to produce them. The fodder farming is genius, good that it's a part of this mod. There are other very nice things, like the flat mines, lumber, brick and glass production.

Do I like everything? No, there are some things, where I have some "problems" with this mod. First, it makes the game too easy for my taste. I know, how hard it is to balance and I also know, that it's impossible to make it right for everyone. It's good that the output from some producers, are set down in the next version. I will try my next game on "harsh" and also see, if I find some other options, that will make the game more challenging.

A second thing, that I want to mention is diversity. Diversity? Isn't that a good thing? Yes, in some ways it's a good thing. It's good, if it gives you a variety of things to choose among: It's good, that there are a more maps. It's good, that buildings have different versions, with different building materials needed. It's good, that there are numerous crops (even if the menu by the merchant is loooong, but I can live with that). But I find the diversity rather annoying, when it's forced on you. I don't need all these different berries from the gatherer. I like the vanilla version with only "berries" , including all kind of berries better. I don't need all these different animals to be hunted. Maybe the vanilla "deer" only could be extended a bit but deer, boar and "small gem" would be enough for me. I know, many people couldn't get enough of this kind of diversity, but to me, it has no purpose. It only make the inventory lists longer.

How would I like this mod to develop further?

I'm very pleased, that you've added other ground floor buildings than homes to the NMT houses. Maybe we could also see some productions shops here in the future? A baker, butcher, tailor.....

You have introduced copper as natural resource found on the ground and possible to mine. Copper can be used for tools and as building material. I'm not 100% happy with this. Coppar tools haven't had any importance the last 3000 years. But I don't have to make any copper tools (or the even older stone tools) so I can live with this. (Good diversity, you can choose ;) ) Copper as building material is historically correct. It was used for roofs on larger buildings, but not until around 1900 in more "normal" houses, as pipes and cables. But same as iron as a major construction material in vanilla Banished; I can live with copper, also for more "common buildings". But it would be nice to have some more "historically correct" use of the copper. The problem, as always in Banished, is that the Bannis only need food, clothes, tools and housing. So I guess some copper products would be export only. Not perfect, but maybe you @RedKetchup or someone in this community will think of something clever to further develop this resource.

It would also be nice to have some more challenging options. At the moment, I have no ideas about how to make this, but I'll think a bit more about it during my next game.

First picture

I realized that this nice building was neglected by me. I haven´t built it for a long time. I can´t remember the "living fire". It´s very ncie! This "fireworker", what does he do?

Second picture

Just a small impression from the town.

Turis

Most applications of copper that I know of are too modern for the scope of Banished except distilleries for moonshine or rum. ;D

brads3

typical kid. can't male their mind up. want it harder but it is to hard to read now.want more and more but the inventory is to long.probably if we ask her questiong she'll just say"i don't know".

by harder,what do you actually mean? do you mean the survival aspect? is food too easy to produce? are the field outputs too high? growing seasons too short,so crops aren't frost killed enough? merchant boats bring food in high quantities too often? do mines produce too much so it is easy to accumulate enough copper and iron for the next building stages?

where is the line between "hard" and smooth? my understanding is RED made the od so you step up to higher grade buidings.these steps mean more mioning and production workers have to be fed.the rewards are more goods to trade and less firewood used.
       personally i think RED added challenges into this. with such nice looking buildings,you can't just build a rustic town no longer.you actually have to think through and build a nice looking settlement if not city. i see it changing playstyles. you have to play more like PAENG with this mod and work to get the town to look good.

Nilla

Quote from: brads3 on February 18, 2018, 08:02:01 AM
typical kid. can't male their mind up. want it harder but it is to hard to read now.want more and more but the inventory is to long.probably if we ask her questiong she'll just say"i don't know".

Kid? You may call me a lot of things, but kid? That's new! ;D And I do think, I know what I want. Maybe I have some issues, when it comes to expressing it in English. You must  know, English is my third language, and sometimes it's not easy to find the right words.

I don't want more and more. It's not a question of more or less, it's a question of making sense. If you're referring to my thoughts about copper, I tried to say; Red has introduced copper as a new resource. That's fine! Copper is a natural resource, why not having it in Banished? I only want something that make sense. I don't find tools from copper or coppar alloys fitting in an medieval - early industrial era. I think the Trojan War was fought with copper/bronze weapons and tools from copper were used to that time, too, but that were some 3000 years ago. It was a bronze arrow that killed Achilles but after that, tools or weapon from copper weren't much used. You are right, when you say, that I don't know what I want. I take that! But I threw that ball here anyway. I know how resourceful @RedKetchup and the other modding guys are.

Quote from: brads3 on February 18, 2018, 08:02:01 AM
   by harder,what do you actually mean? do you mean the survival aspect? is food too easy to produce? are the field outputs too high? growing seasons too short,so crops aren't frost killed enough? merchant boats bring food in high quantities too often? do mines produce too much so it is easy to accumulate enough copper and iron for the next building stages?

where is the line between "hard" and smooth? my understanding is RED made the od so you step up to higher grade buidings.these steps mean more mioning and production workers have to be fed.the rewards are more goods to trade and less firewood used.
       personally i think RED added challenges into this. with such nice looking buildings,you can't just build a rustic town no longer.you actually have to think through and build a nice looking settlement if not city. i see it changing playstyles. you have to play more like PAENG with this mod and work to get the town to look good.

What I mean with easy: Yes it's easy to produce food. It's also easy to produce enough building materials, also for the "higher grade buildings". I haven't really traded for more than crops, so I can't say anything about the merchants.

And you are right in asking; where is the line between too hard, smooth and too easy. I'm very well aware, that this is very personal. That's why I said, right from the start, that these are my thoughts, I'm well aware that others think different. I don't expect anything to be changed, just to fit me. I only hope my thoughts will be read and thought a little bit about. If you all find it "bull shit", so be it. I can live with that.

And building like @Paeng? I wish I could. But unfortunately neither of us can. I have tried though to build a bit like you say; different areas in different styles. Of cause that's something this mod gives you the best opportunity to. It's also one of the reasons, that I like this mod. I did say that, too. You would have known if you just would read the whole entry thorough ! ;)

RedKetchup

bah at least, following your to last posts... i ve gone back to the crops and check the time it takes to fully grow. i ve spoted all the 2months-ish ones and i added an half of season. (0.5)
so in the next build, i would be surprised if there are alot of crop harvested in late summer.

even i pushed back the strawberries which is a  June fruit here.... will harvest later in late summer.

brads3

you know i have to harrass you when i get the chance.plus i gota make up for those times you sneak away. :P

Nilla

I know @brads3! No need to explain yourself. ;)

@RedKetchup, I don't mind, if some crops, like strawberries and maybe radish, lettuce and some other early vegetables are harvested early, but not all of them. It's even nice, if some grow better if it's cool, some other when it's hot, some can endure a little frost, others not......... But I'm not sure, that's what most people want. 

Anyway I've started the next game on harsh. I'll try to get some crops. it's also a small lake map, so I think I will get a challenge enough, to build something more than 50 peeps on it. I also didn't choose a map, took the first. If you want to grow fast, it's a good map, but really bad if you want an educated population. There are many older children, 6 of them were adults the first year.  ::) ;)

I didn't get very far but there is one thing, I've noticed, that you might think about @RedKetchup:

Some fodder-thatch is harvested, if you want it or not; when you build or when the forester plants trees. I want to build a fodder meadow early anyhow, so I have no problem. But if you don't want to. What will you do with all the thatch? I guess, some kind of "Bundler" to convert it to fuel would be helpful.

brads3

the bannies will use thatch as firewood and burn it.this saves logs for buildings.since you are on harch,they should use more of it and it won't overfill the piles. didn't i read that it is also a required building material for some things,like pastures?

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on February 19, 2018, 08:11:35 AM
the bannies will use thatch as firewood and burn it.this saves logs for buildings.since you are on harch,they should use more of it and it won't overfill the piles. didn't i read that it is also a required building material for some things,like pastures?

it was. but some people asked to remove the "fuel" part of it cause it messing with the cutter yard firewood limit.
2 group of people want opposite view on this, cant satisfy both.

what if i ask the cutteryard to take those thatch-fodder and convert those into firewood ?

kid1293

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 20, 2018, 01:51:02 AM
what if i ask the cutteryard to take those thatch-fodder and convert those into firewood ?

Brilliant! :)

brads3

now i am all confused. so at the moment it doesn't get burned in houses? i knew you played with the flag but i thought it was still burnable.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on February 20, 2018, 02:37:09 AM
now i am all confused. so at the moment it doesn't get burned in houses? i knew you played with the flag but i thought it was still burnable.

bah no, asap you delete the "fuel" and "woodfuel" flag you cant burn those in houses.

brads3

i see, my thatch is tagged construction, but is burnable and doesn't count against my firewood.