Author Topic: Tablet Owners Poll  (Read 7983 times)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Tablet Owners Poll
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
If you have more than one kind, I set the poll option to allow more than one box checked.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
Re: Tablet Owners Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
With only 3 votes there's 8 tablets already? Or even, before I put my 1 tablet vote in, it was 7 tablets for 2 persons? Hm...

Someone liked to mark all the little boxes (but missed the iPad)?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:33:25 PM by Kaldir »

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
I have a Microsoft Surface, a Nexus 7, and a Dell Venue Pro myself.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:43 AM »
I was just kidding about checking all the boxes. But 3 tablets... wow.

Offline nmid

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
I have an ipad2, kindle paperwhite.

After using my 5" android phone that multitasks as a tablet at times, I have come to realise the ideal tablet depends on what you want to use it for and what other devices you are using.

I basically use my iPad for reading web-pages and watching movies/tv shows that I put onto it (I don't use the iStore).. but despite the ease of use the Apple OS is said to have, I prefer the flexibility of an Android device... especially because I use an android smartphone, so I'm very comfortable with it.

I use my phone to also read ebooks, but the kindle is slightly (very slightly) better in view screen space and the feel.
The fact that it has a different power source, just makes my devices last longer... and helps me organize my ebooks as well.

So basically, what do you want to use your tablet for... and what other devices do you own... and most importantly, where will you source your viewing/reading material from. (An online store/torrents/etc).

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
None.   ;D

On the other hand, I have a small bedroom devoted to books. 

I get electronic copies of older books from https://openlibrary.org/, among other places.

My husband and I were somewhat interested in e-book tablets until we realized that they are like games played on Steam.  No online hook-up, no read book.  This is the case, is it not?  We were interested in the larger typeface, but not in paying again for books that we already own.  What we need is are book-sized, lighted, magnifying glasses.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
No, you can download your books to the local device. You can also load epub and pdf file books onto some eReaders from your computer.  But it just isn't the same as holding a real book and reading from real pages.

Don't ever try to read from an iPad or other multi-function tablet. Too many other apps to distract you away from solid reading.

Use a Kindle for reading, it's what it is designed for.  My Paperwhite is awesome.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
We have no tablets yet. I am not interested in having them for gaming or watching movies. I have been interested in getting one to read books on for years though. I have so many books, I just do not have room for them, and they do me no good sitting in boxes. My husband has been bugging me for years to cull my collection, which I really do need to do, but I enjoy having books around! It is a happy, comforting feeling to see bookshelves full of books! It would be nice to be able to just keep my favorites though and have everything else stored electronically.

I admit though I get confused about which are the best for what purposes. I read reviews but there are always conflicting ones, and always people saying the next version will be better and to wait.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
For reading, nothing beats the Kindle Paperwhite. It will hold up to about 1,000 books, of which many of the classics are free or almost free, holds a charge for weeks, and has no other purpose but to be a reader.  I have 92 books on mine currently and add one or two a month as I read along.  Amazon will keep a backup for you in case you lose it or it gets destroyed by an accident of some kind.  I fought with myself for years until this spring over whether to go with an eReader and I have tested them all. 

Take a serious look at it and go see one at a store that carries them to hold it and see what it looks like to read from it.  Here is the web page on it. Scroll past the top down to all the info that will show you what you can do with one.

It might just be a way to help thin your book collection a little and give you another way to read your favorites wherever you happen to be.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
Holding and seeing it is really the way to go. Something can be very promissing in reviews, but if it feels wrong it's not for you.

Main reason why my wife and I don't have an ereader is that you can't get many English volumes here in the Netherlands (legally, that is). We both prefer reading in English when it's the original language for a book, instead of the Dutch translation. But most webshops like Amazon don't "ship" English ebooks to the Netherlands because of legal issues, and the Dutch webshops have only a very limited stock in English. Most of what we have in out bookcases is not available in this country.

And I don't feel good about illegally downloading, whether it's ebooks, music, movies or games. So for us, it's still paper.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:36:20 AM »
Holding and seeing it is really the way to go. Something can be very promissing in reviews, but if it feels wrong it's not for you.

Main reason why my wife and I don't have an ereader is that you can't get many English volumes here in the Netherlands (legally, that is). We both prefer reading in English when it's the original language for a book, instead of the Dutch translation. But most webshops like Amazon don't "ship" English ebooks to the Netherlands because of legal issues, and the Dutch webshops have only a very limited stock in English. Most of what we have in out bookcases is not available in this country.

And I don't feel good about illegally downloading, whether it's ebooks, music, movies or games. So for us, it's still paper.

So you can't purchase Kindle books on the US Amazon website from your location?
What if someone got you a US Kindle and loaded it then sent it to you? I wonder if that would work?

I'm not very familiar with international restrictions and limitations.

Offline Boris_amj

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 05:52:03 AM »
I'm with slink on this one too.
I am old school. I have many books. You know, the real thing.
The fact that my father was an editor probably went a long way towards that.

I too don't want to pay for books I already own.
Also, I don't want to depend on strange people or organisations holding my stuff, online or otherwise, thank you so very much.

But back from the grumpy-old-man stuff into the main subject, no, I don't own a tablet.
My wife, who is a Japanese graphics designer, tends to go for Apple stuff. So we have like 5 Macs in the house. Some of them ancient (because the ruddy things never break).

I, on the other hand have just a Windows PC and a laptop. Not top of the range, but enough to nicely display the many sims and RTS games I own.

When we were debating whether to get a tablet, I just couldn't find a real use for it.
She on the other hand wants the iPad Mini (of course). Enough for Skype, email and the Astronomy apps she loves.

I do want something portable enough to take on holiday. So I'm thinking of getting a Notebook or an Ultrabook.
Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
So you can't purchase Kindle books on the US Amazon website from your location?What if someone got you a US Kindle and loaded it then sent it to you? I wonder if that would work?I'm not very familiar with international restrictions and limitations.

I can't even order books or the Kindle itself from the UK or German Amazon site (there is no Dutch Amazon). They just refuse it for people abroad. And even if I got it from someone else, I can't purchase any new ebooks from Amazon, unless they also provide a US/UK creditcard. :-p

So the Kindle is pretty absent in my country. There's plenty of other ereaders, but almost no webshop abroad lets me purchase ebooks. Unless it allows Paypal and I can fake my country. But it's pretty limited that way.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is a legal issue. They don't have the "publishing"/distribution rights for my country or something.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:33:10 AM by Kaldir »

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
@solarscreen

Thank you for the recommendation. I have looked through the information and it does look like it is what I have been looking for. My husband is concerned that Amazon can delete books from your account, as they have in the past. But I can't find anyone with this issue recently so I am not sure this is still actually an issue. I think I am going to take the leap and get it.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
@solarscreen

Thank you for the recommendation. I have looked through the information and it does look like it is what I have been looking for. My husband is concerned that Amazon can delete books from your account, as they have in the past. But I can't find anyone with this issue recently so I am not sure this is still actually an issue. I think I am going to take the leap and get it.

Once you get your books downloaded to your Kindle, you can turn off the wifi connection and read offline.  If there was ever a repeat of that incident of deleting books, you would have to turn on the wifi or 3G connection before they could get it.

I bought "No Easy Day" before the US govt could decide if it was classified information or not.  Eventually it was decided to leave it in place and not delete it. I just can't tell you anything about it or discuss its contents! :)