News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

two markets at opposing corners and biggest map

Started by common, July 10, 2014, 08:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

common

simple as that.

I'm about to start a map and I was just wondering if any of you know what would happen if I place two markets as far away from each other at opposing corners of the biggest size map.  Given that not everything citizens need is provided in each would the vendors or other citizens try to walk all the way across to gather resources ? I'm asking because it seems i am forced to place markets close together and i was trying to make a map that has basically two little towns very far away from each other.

ty

RedKetchup

i think if the item they want is only available there ... they will go for it. also your vendor will also try to get goods to sell in their market so they will go get it no matter how far it is
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

common

does that mean given enough distance they will starve or just never get there before getting hunger and turning back  ?

mariesalias

@common  I answered you on the SP forum. Too tired to go back and c/p that answer here right now.

tomplum68

markets won't take from each other, so the vendors from each market will walk to wherever the resource is but they won't take it from another market

rkelly17

Seems like some time back someone on the SRS forum tried an experiment similar to this but had the two "towns" connected by a bridge. When the bridge was cut a bunch of people went homeless because they couldn't get to their houses.

My guess is that, while everyone might survive the experiment, the settlement won't be very efficient because of the long travel distance between markets. Just a guess, though. It would be nice to be able to do this on maps.

irrelevant

The hard part would be getting it set up. Construction over long distances is extremely difficult. Once it was all up and running, I can imagine that each would function more or less normally, assuming that adequate resources were available in each village. But you shouldn't count on being able to move much of anything from one village to the other.

Another problem would be keeping track of it all as each grew. You can have only one town hall, so the information you have available will be of the entire map, and possible problems in one village or the other could be obscured until they became obvious, at which point it could well be too late to fix.

mariesalias

My answer from the SR forum:
Quote from: mariesalias on July 11, 2014, 12:02:17 AM
@common The vendors will walk as far as they need to to get the items to stock the market. If the distance is too great, your market could suffer shortages. One solution would be to make sure you have the necessities close by each market.

You will start in the middle of the map so a more likely scenario might be to have three 'towns'. It would be beneficial to use a map that had a river running diagonally through it and place your three 'towns' at the center and ends closest to the river banks. That way you's have trade ports close to each. If you can do this, and make each one self-sufficient, and make sure each area has extra housing for laborers and builders, I don't see why it should not be possible. Before 1.0.3, I am not sure it would have been possible without unavoidable starvation and freezing deaths.

Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out for you!

irrelevant

It just occurred to me, if you build a school, be sure to build one in each village, as children will automatically become students of a school when they turn 10. If you just have one school in one corner of the map, the kids in the other corner will have some tales to tell their grandchildren about how far they had to walk to school -- if they survive to have grandchildren, that is! ;)

Same thing with herbalists, if you build one, you'll need two, or else folks will walk all the way across the map for advice on how to use their herb.