Author Topic: SimCity 4 Deluxe  (Read 7467 times)

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
SimCity 4 Deluxe
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
I've been playing this game since it came out, and I still play today.

I was not taken in by the hype for SC 2013, and did not waste a nickel on it.

Anyone want to add experiences for SC4?  There are several good forums.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
I recognize your login name from Simtropolis.  I had not played SimCity 4 until late January of this year, when I got it bundled with SimCity Societies Destinations, which I had not bought before because I won't buy Steam games.  I did buy SimCity 3 when it came out, but for some reason was not moved to buy SimCity 4.  At any rate, I ran into the same problem with SimCity 4 as I had with all of the previous versions, namely, that the traffic simulation was horrible.  Enter NAM, which solved everything.  I downloaded more from Simtropolis than I was allowed for the month, and also bought all of the available DVDs.  Granted that the game crashes rather regularly now because of all the things I have added to it, I was really enjoying it when Banished came out.  I suspect it will become one of my permanent toys, at least as far as anything requiring MS Windows running on an Intel chip can be permanent in this world.

I never played SimCity 2013, and I doubt it I ever will.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
The trick with keeping SC4D going is to save frequently.  Just train your left hand so that every 10 minutes or so it twitches and presses CTRL+s.

Also, you should use the option to set only one core: -CPUCount:1  This is really needed badly if you have one of the machines that wants to hyperthread.

Frequent saves resets or garbage collects something, and seems to prevent CTDs.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »
The trick with keeping SC4D going is to save frequently.  Just train your left hand so that every 10 minutes or so it twitches and presses CTRL+s.

Also, you should use the option to set only one core: -CPUCount:1  This is really needed badly if you have one of the machines that wants to hyperthread.

Frequent saves resets or garbage collects something, and seems to prevent CTDs.

Somewhere (either Simtropolis or SC4 Devotion) I downloaded a mod that pops up and reminds you to save. You tell it when to remind you. I find it very helpful since I often get so involved in planning and building that I forget to save. Since I got that CTDs are much less frequent. And, of course, the game always crashes just as I finish a big development and zoom out to look at the whole thing.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »
I do have a hyperthreading machine, so setting that parameter may help.  I should also compact the mods.  I had them compacted and then I took them all back out again so I could examine the contents.  I didn't like my organization, either.  I had them organized by creator, which was invaluable when I was downloading for days on end, but doesn't help much when I want to see at a glance how much variety I have for each building type.  It's all due for a revamping once I get my home theater painted, cleaned, and put back together.  It's amazing how dirty everything gets when you don't clean for almost 20 years.   ::)  We weren't using the room very much for many of those years, but our pets did.

The shortcomings of SimCity 4 are already well-known, but the one I grieve the most is the inability to set building style by region.

I do wish some of the creators hadn't packaged their stuff as executables.  I dislike hunting down and resorting the files, not to mention the extra clicking for the packaging advertisement.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
Well, I have lots of storage, so I keep each and every download in pristine condition, expand them and move the, often condensed and edited, plugin into my .../Plugins folder.  I try to keep a more or less parallel organization, but there are always exceptions.

I use ilive's files2DAT program to condense plugins and I haven't felt the need for DATpacker, which doesn't allow editing of individual items.

Generally, kind of messy, and needs cleaning up, but ...

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:33:05 AM »
I use ilive's files2DAT program to condense plugins and I haven't felt the need for DATpacker, which doesn't allow editing of individual items.

I've been using DATpacker and have found it a bit cumbersome to add new downloads. Does files2DAT handle that better?

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
Files2DAT works only in one directory at a time and doesn't do a sweep.  It just takes the marked files and compresses them into a *.dat.

DATpacker sweeps up a set of directories and compresses them, so it is really a different view of the handling. 

If you like, each BAT can become a separate *.dat.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »
Thanks, A Nonny Moose. Is it available at Simtropolis or SC4 Devotion?

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:10 AM »
considered C:S does not work on my PC (little dated) .. I'm seriously thinking of buy SC4d .. for now I put it in wish list ..  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!! :)

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:05:28 AM »
being able to choose a version, among many, of SimCity which would you choose?
because I do not like too much the isometric view, preferring the view of very close 3d ..
which version is closer to "Cities: Skyline" but that requires a computer much less "professional"?
or should I choose in the Cities series, as XL, XXL, etc. ..?
because the series Cites I read really bad reviews that refer to the features of the game ..
are things that a beginner like me did not even notice?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!! :)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »
I think that SC 4 Deluxe is currently available on GOG. That's what I would go with. It includes the Rush Hour expansion. Then, as soon as you install the game, go to Simtropolis or SC4Devotion and download and install the latest version of the Network Addon Mod (NAM). That improves the transportation immensely. Play the game and then go crazy on mods and custom content. My collection has been growing over the years and would take hours to download all at once, but you can build up as you go. Simtropolis is the best comprehensive source, but SC4Devotion has a lot of good stuff. Unfortunately SimPeg's great site recently crashed, but much of the content is on Simtropolis.

I've played Sim City since the original through SC 4. Over the years I often bought or built a new computer based on the recommended specs for the latest version of SC (or Civilization). I never bought the newest version of SC because it had so many problems. I think Cities: Skylines is better than the last Sim City, though even it is not really SC 4 upgraded. The next step beyond SC 4 could have been so exciting, but . . . .

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »
meanwhile I saw some gameplay on youtube ..
to me it is a bit indigestible the isometric view but I think in the end I could get used to ..

I have not understood what is your view closer you can get .. they all use the view from the clouds!  ;D

so there are, like the NMT, DC and FM for Banished, two or three BIG mod that improve and implement the game?

a curiosity .. I did not understand why the cars disappear from the streets ...  ???

in the game you can build tunnels?

Elevating sidewalks for pedestrians?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:25:34 AM by assobanana76 »

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »
meanwhile I saw some gameplay on youtube ..
to me it is a bit indigestible the isometric view but I think in the end I could get used to ..

I have not understood what is your view closer you can get .. they all use the view from the clouds!  ;D

so there are, like the NMT, DC and FM for Banished, two or three BIG mod that improve and implement the game?

a curiosity .. I did not understand why the cars disappear from the streets ...  ???

in the game you can build tunnels?

Elevating sidewalks for pedestrians?
As for the isometric view, SC 4 is now pretty old and its graphics represent the state of the art when it came out, so . . . .

You can get pretty close, but not down to street level. The distance is not continuous, but in steps. Some detail is only visible from closer levels.

Which mods are crucial depends on who you ask. There are at least two members of World of Banished who know far, far more about SC4 and SC4 mods than I do: Paeng and A Nonny Moose. You should get their advice and views on "necessary" mods. For me the Network Add-on Mod (NAM) is absolutely essential. I also use the Colossus Addon Mod (CAM) which makes much larger populations possible. Beyond that it is up to personal preference. There are thousands and thousands of custom content contributions out there that you can create almost any sort of city you want. There are more or less accurate maps of regions all over the world, plus many fantasy maps. I doubt anyone can tell you how many buildings are available, but SC4 architects from all over the world have contributed buildings unique and ordinary from their favorite cities. My favorite sources have always been Simtropolis (STEX) and SC4Devotion (LEX), so go to those sites and you can see the massive choice. If you want to get an idea of what is possible look at the many "Mayor's Diary" entries.

Sometimes cars (Not to mention trains and other vehicles) just disappear. They are only graphic representations anyway, so not to worry. If you want to you can "self drive." There is a traffic overlay that shows traffic density. The NAM includes options for increasing traffic capacity and public transit usage. The biggest problem with over-capacity traffic in SC4 is that it can interfere with commute times and cause unemployment. Sims will commute to neighboring towns to get jobs if you have connections--regional connections is one of SC4's better points.

Tunnels appear when you build roads or tracks through mountains. Subways are part of the game. Other underground networks can be added through mods.

There may be a mod for elevated sidewalks, but I've never seen one. The "BSC Parks" mods contain pedestrian bridges. NAM has pedestrian walks for pedestrian-only zones, but I don't think they can be elevated--but I'm no expert on that.