Author Topic: SimCity 4 Deluxe  (Read 8152 times)

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 02:13:32 AM »
very useful information!!!
thank you!

for isometric view I think I can get used to the long term ..

do you have a screenshot with the view closer possible?
because in all the gameplay seen builders use that from the clouds!
it seems that the most talented city-builders do not need to see the detailed content to manage the city from far away ..

about the mod and then I turn @Paeng and @ANonnyMoose to know what are the "essential" ..
I do not think I need so many new buildings but of mods that improve playability and insert new technology comparable to the 2nd and 3rd floor @RedKetchup !
I've read here and there of this "NAM" ..
but having them is as simple as downloading a .pkm in a folder?
P.S. I do not think you can use the "CAM" considered that, on my old PC, "Banished" is practically crashed with 500 people!  :'(
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!! :)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »
To tell you the truth, I've never taken a screen shot in SC4. I tend to plan and evaluate (the various overlays tell you how your city is going, so it's nice to see the whole thing) from further out and go close in the just wander around and watch the action--also to analyze local issues like a traffic jam in one block.

Most SC4 mods come with an install program. If you keep everything in the default folders, they handle the installation chore for you. The files are normally zipped and you have to unzip them (I use the freeware program 7zip) before running the install .exe file. NAM does this, though you have to make some choices because it is large. There is a help file in the .zip that explains everything.

SC4 is an old enough program that if you have Win XP you should be OK. The issue would be memory. 2 Gb is OK, 4 Gb is better. If your computer can't run SC4, there are older versions available such as SC 3000.

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:50 AM »
now we get the real problem ..  ;D
I use Steam ..
files NAM work with Steam?
I'll have to unzip to a specific folder?

on "Steam" exists only SC4 ..  :'(
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!! :)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
The version of SC4 on Steam is "Deluxe" which includes the original game and the "Rush Hour" expansion, so it is the most up-to-date version. As near as I can tell, though, Steam does not have any mods available. If you get the Steam version you will still need to download mods from elsewhere. It's not really a problem to use Steam and also have non-Steam games on your system. In the beginning I only got Steam to play Civ 5 and played my other games as usual. I have some of my games on Steam, some from GOG, some from other sources, and some with the original CD/DVD. I have no problems with any of them (at least no problems that aren't within the game itself). With older games the GOG version often comes with the emulator you need to make it work with current operating systems.

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »
The version of SC4 on Steam is "Deluxe" which includes the original game and the "Rush Hour" expansion, so it is the most up-to-date version. As near as I can tell, though, Steam does not have any mods available. If you get the Steam version you will still need to download mods from elsewhere. It's not really a problem to use Steam and also have non-Steam games on your system. In the beginning I only got Steam to play Civ 5 and played my other games as usual. I have some of my games on Steam, some from GOG, some from other sources, and some with the original CD/DVD. I have no problems with any of them (at least no problems that aren't within the game itself). With older games the GOG version often comes with the emulator you need to make it work with current operating systems.
but I can buy the Steam version and download mod "external" (there is no workshop) to be allocated to a specific folder in the Steam folder (a bit like I do now with WinData of Banished)?

Offline chillzz

• Trader
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
but I can buy the Steam version and download mod "external" (there is no workshop) to be allocated to a specific folder in the Steam folder (a bit like I do now with WinData of Banished)?

just like banished, simcity uses a default folder for mods.
don't think the downloadable version on steam differs from the original one in that concept.

/My Documents/SimCity4/Plugins/

this is by far the most useful and detailed instruction for installing and maintaining mods in Simcity 4 deluxe/rush hour  :
http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/31032-boggy1s-quick-guide-to-all-things-custom-content/

Don't miss out on : NAM32 , @Paeng  & SimPeg mods/buildings etc :)  they're wonderful!

awsome content can be found on Simtropolis.com (STEX) and their cd/dvds (sort of best of series) and SCdevotion.com (LEX)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:56:12 AM by chillzz »
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »

just like banished, simcity uses a default folder for mods.
don't think the downloadable version on steam differs from the original one in that concept.

/My Documents/SimCity4/Plugins/

this is by far the most useful and detailed instruction for installing and maintaining mods in Simcity 4 deluxe/rush hour  :
http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/31032-boggy1s-quick-guide-to-all-things-custom-content/

Don't miss out on : NAM32 , @Paeng  & SimPeg mods/buildings etc :)  they're wonderful!

awsome content can be found on Simtropolis.com (STEX) and their cd/dvds (sort of best of series) and SCdevotion.com (LEX)
wait .. wait .. too many acronyms !! lol
as if a beginner of Banished to write TP or BS!  ;D
stex? lex? cd/dvds?
however all clear about the folder..
for the mods I will begin by reading the guide linked!  ;)
thanks!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:20:16 AM by assobanana76 »

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
STEX and LEX are file exchanges for SC4 mods

STEX = Simtropolis (which now includes the PLEX from Simpeg's late, lamented website)

LEX = SC4Devotion

These are city-builder fan websites. Simtropolis covers all the city-builders and SC4Devotion is strictly SC4.

CD/DVD = well, CDs and DVDs--you know, the discs you put in your computer's DVD drive or in your CD player to hear music or in your DVD player to watch movies. Am I that old that we've even forgotten CDs and DVDs?  :'(  I'd surely better not bring up cassettes or 8-tracks. And certainly not mention the days when my VIC 20 kept its software on cassette tapes.

Offline Paeng

• Banished Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 03:44:44 AM »
Sorry, only saw your question now...  :-[
Anyway, RKelly answered the most important things...

My take - if you were to start on SC now, get
SimCity 4 de Luxe (including Rush Hour, official extension)

Play for a while vanilla to get a feel on the mechanics, then go on a download binge for mods.

As for what mods to get - you can't really expect to get a decent answer to that - there are about 20.000 unique models and countless Lots, Mods & Tools, Maps, Props and Textures just on Simtropolis alone... You can spend hours alone to choose a map with the proper type of climate and vegetation...  :P

My suggestion would be to go by a theme - e.g start a city with a nice coastline and develop boardwalks, harbors, ferries and such... or a nice mountain region to develop camping grounds, hiking paths, ski resorts... or do a typical mediterranean town...or or or - the only limit is your fantasy. Like has been said - the City Journals are a good starting point to see what is possible...

Urks... I missed page 2...
Well, as for installers - they are used almost exclusively by SC4D (SC4 Devotion site) and have been a constant rub on the community. The rest of the world works mostly (and thankfully) without installers, just plain ZIP archives.

I can't say anything about Steam and SC4 - though I foresee a billion possible conflicts, just from what I have seen about a tiny game like Banished - comparing that to a modded SC4 would be like comparing a sleepy 150 people town high up in the mountains with a bustling 40-million metropolis...

Once you get to the finer points of modded mods, specific load orders, particular tools and so on, you probably wish you had never looked at Steam... :-X
Then again, it might just all work "magically" - what do I know?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:07:23 AM by Paeng »
Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
I've been reading that the version of SC4 Deluxe sold by EA on their site won't take mods, even the original Maxis produced files. Given EA's track record, if I were buying SC4 now I'd go to GOG.com. I have the original CDs and the4 GOG version both. My grandson has gotten addicted and he uses the CDs on the laptop while I use Gog on the desktop. We get mods jointly and synch our plugin folders with each other. Like all the other digital teenagers he figured out the whole download routine and is using SC4Mapper and SC4Terraformer better than I am. Now he wants me to show him the tools to make his own lots. If he figures out 3D modeling, look out.

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 01:31:39 AM »
all clear!!

Am I that old that we've even forgotten CDs and DVDs?  :'(  I'd surely better not bring up cassettes or 8-tracks. And certainly not mention the days when my VIC 20 kept its software on cassette tapes.
;D ;D

Offline assobanana76

• Architect
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »
thanks @Paeng !
I will follow your advice to start from small things!
it seems that I will have to begin to enter into this new community .. another .. :)
anyway I do not I need thousands of mods that add new buildings but rather to me it seemed to be useful mod that solve game mechanics such as traffic or that add useful as interchanges rail and road ..

if I can not solve my problems with crashes Banished, I decided to take a break, waiting even NMT 2.0, and the choice will be between "Anno 2070 (I already have) or "SC4deluxe" (to be bought with first available Steam sales. I have a hard head!  ;D)

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
I've been playing SC4 Deluxe since it came out.  The isometric view doesn't bother me because that was the state of practice at the time of its release.

With the advent of Windows 10, it will only run as the digital download because the Safe Disk support has been discontinued all the way back to Vista.  I run this version on Ubuntu 15.04 with wine-1.7.50.  It is, however, a Windows executable and better in native mode.

If you are seriously wanting to get involved in the SC4 community, I suggest you join the forums at www.simtropolis.com and you might want to go from there to SC4Devotion.  Simtropolis has a feature called the Omnibus which is full of tutorials and articles about the game and is probably the best source for information extant.

The best source for the game is GOG, GamersGate or Amazon.  It is also sold as a DRM item by Steam and Origin which piss in the standard structure making it a little odd to use after market programs.  Origin, for example, denies that the Maxis Studio Released Building Architect Tool (BAT) exists.  But Origin is a subsidiary of EA which owns the Maxis Studio, or what's left of it.

The digital download is SimCity 4 Deluxe with the Safe Disk code removed and the two necessary patches published by Maxis Studio included.  The only addition that I recommend for new players is the Network Addon Mod (NAM) which has an installer that can be run as often as you like to add or remove features.  For openers, I suggest that a new player should only use the network controller, and leave the other features for some other time to explore.  The default will give you so much stuff you could well drown in it.  The NAM comes with lots of documentation in a separate folder in ~/SimCity 4/NAM Auxiliary Files/Documentation.

SC4 comes with a set of default regions containing many city tiles, some of them laid out as examples/problems.  They were created for the original version of the game, so the first problem is to update them to the changes made for Rush Hour.  A new player might not want to get involved in that.  However, there is a tutorial region called Timbuktu which contains several tutorials that will give you the picture of the game's basic algorithms.  Play only the tutorials in this region, and play serious cities in one of the others or download a region (can be tricky) or make your own.

In Simtropolis there is the Simtropolis Exchange (STEX) which contains thousands of pieces of custom content (including a link to the NAM v32, the last stable release).  The other things a new player should get from the STEX is any item that has the word 'fix' in the title as these are actual bug fixes.  One other item is called 'crime doesnt pay' [sic] and is the fix for police scope which is too small.

On Simtropolis you will also find forums for any city building game up to and including C:S.  So have a good look around.  You can be a guest, but to access the STEX material you have to be a member.  Membership is free.  You can also purchase DVDs from the site containing selected custom content.  This helps support the site, which is totally volunteer and runs on member donations plus some advertising.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:54:07 AM by A Nonny Moose »
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

Offline Pangaea

• Champion
  • Architect
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Haven't played SC4, but have invested a loooot of hours into Sim City 2000, that was a marvellous game. Theme Hospital too. Good times, both as a kid and adult.

Don't think I'll ever understand people buying games on Steam, but oh well. They have these on GOG and that's where I go for DRM Free gaming. Wish more people cared about that, but I guess it's like turning a tide.

What was a bit of a pain in 2000 was that with a big population, crime would get pretty crippling no matter what.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »
In SC4 in addition to the 'crime doesnt pay' fix, there are some custom content buildings with very large police radii.  If you decide to give SC4 a try, you may find it more balanced since it is quite a bit later than SC2K.

Watch for sales on GOG and you might get it for less than $5 U.S.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.