News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-challenge #4: Waterfront Property

Started by solarscreen, August 08, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

it seems very legit :) grats for your entry :) it still looks awesome :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

QuoteWhich I might add, is not remotely sustainable, nor do I have the least desire to keep going with it.

I have a question on this topic;

How do you handle this in your challenges? If you are trying to get the maximum population?

I have built a settlement that seems sustainable: Built no more houses, let  it run until it reached maximum population and then another 5 years or something like that , population slowly starting to get down. In this time I had nomads knocking on my door. If I had taken them, there had been no way to manage more than a year or something  (but of cause for the moment the population is higher than ever)

Bobbi

No idea if I can win most pop. Certainly not very beautiful. Did cover every bit of river and lake possible almost, I think. Maybe most map. We'll see how it goes. Had a batch of nomads show up right when I decided to quit. Can't remember how many, but over 100. If I accepted them, they would be homless because there is no more riverfront to build them houses  :'(

Nilla

My waterfront settlement Sjoestaden (should be Sjöstaden=Seetown in Swedish, but Banished doesn´t like the letters åäö).

I had tried to reached a big population on the limited area. I wanted a real challenge, so I decided to do this "hard core"= every building from the start, following the rules, also those that I later plan to tear down. So I started the game hard and looked for a map with a decent starting position, near water.

I never do much planning but I had a concept (short; as few buildings, except houses as possible), not all did work, but some of it did:

First row - as many houses as possible, enough schools and markets , a few trading ports, a herbalist, a doctor and a city hall (I also built 2 coalmines for heating, not planned from the start)

Second row - farms, pastures, stockpiles, a few graveyards

At the beginning in the first row, woodcutters and some brewers (and also some other start-buildings as foresters, gatherers....). All to be torn down later.

My plans was to be self-sufficient  on vegetables, grain and meat. I planned to sell meat, wool, leather and ale (as long as I needed building materials). I planned to buy fruit, tools, clothing and if possible firewood (it wasn´t possible so I changed the plans and bought logs instead.

The first picture shows the way I built all the map (starting area; there are still some trees left so it looks a bit nicer). First a road following the shore, than the buildings touching the road, than another road behind the houses  followed by fields , pastures........... all touching that second row.

As i said in my last question I built as much as I could and then I let the game run, first to reach the maximum population; 1586 in winter 65 (2 picture)  and some years after that. I stopped in autumn 69 (3 picture).

Food and population graphs are shown and also some screenshots from different part of the map, all looking pretty much the same.

Finally; i show you my overall-max-population.  ;D

Bobbi

Nice job, @Nilla! I think you got me beat on both most pop and most map. You would probably agree with me that it is not something you would try again outside of a contest, though.

Nilla

QuoteYou would probably agree with me that it is not something you would try again outside of a contest, though.

I don´t agree, believe it or not, I liked it ! I like problemsolving, to build on small maps, trying to squeeze as much as possible on a small area. This is something similar ;-)

rkelly17

RedKetchup

yeah Awesome Nilla ! great town. 1736 pop is awesome, i really hope to can resolve those ... 61 diseased hehe :0

very good entry :)

Nilla

Thanks
but is it really 1735 population?................ i don´t know  ........... at least not for long  ;D

canis39

I just figured out why I didn't like this challenge too much: I would have preferred a simpler rule to get the houses near water.

Rule: all houses must be within 1 tile of water

And that's it. You'd end up with "waterfront property" for the houses but all other buildings could be anywhere. Would have been a little easier, bigger populations, but still with the intended result. I think.

I know, this is worth just about nothing since the challenge is almost over and I didn't even play it. But I still wanted to share.  :)

slink

I had dropped out earlier but then toyed with the idea of continuing.  I actually did continue to about a population of 200.  Imagine my astonishment at the size of the populations now entered!  :o  Anyway, I'll stay dropped out.  ;D

Bobbi

I think main reason I didn't enjoy so much was a misunderstood the rules on no stacking fields, so I wasted a lot of time redoing about half the map, as I didn't find out I had messed up for a couple weeks.

solarscreen

Quote from: canis39 on September 10, 2014, 05:06:41 PM
I just figured out why I didn't like this challenge too much: I would have preferred a simpler rule to get the houses near water.

Rule: all houses must be within 1 tile of water

And that's it. You'd end up with "waterfront property" for the houses but all other buildings could be anywhere. Would have been a little easier, bigger populations, but still with the intended result. I think.

I know, this is worth just about nothing since the challenge is almost over and I didn't even play it. But I still wanted to share.  :)

Sounds like a good idea - we will have to do that the next time this challenge runs!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

solarscreen

I hope everyone who wanted to play this challenge has made their entries and is ready to vote.

Now we need members to look over the challengers and decide who you like the best.  The most are and most people is pretty easy to figure out. 

So see who you like the best and also overall who did the best job with the restrictions presented.

Best looking - ?
Best In Show - ?

I will post champions this evening.  It looks to me like one challenger might have several categories all wrapped up!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

RedKetchup

sorry to not have participated, i wished but .... mod Tools has been released and ... i didnt played since IMO.