News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Into the Wild

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 07, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

With the coming of the nicer weather, I passed the word for the Spring Meeting. Everyone attended for the review and party afterwards. Looking over my notes, I found:

The fishing dock was supplying more than enough fresh and dried fish to satisfy demand and had developed a surplus of dried, salted stock to be able to use them as a trade item. Walter and Juliana had become partners in the business, and Walter was looking after the day to day, now.

In her capacity of arborist, Juliana had identified and moved several likely trees to a special grove. Among these were black walnut, sugar maple, and birch. Sweetener could be made from the latter two saps and oil for cooking could be pressed from the walnuts. Test projects were in progress with the help of Marta and Carmencita, whose plant recognition skills were very useful.

Georgio had trained two journeyman smiths and was producing quantities of ironmongery for both use and trade. His group were considering methods of creating steel for better products, but were prospecting for enough coal.

Deodato and Sons - hunters and forest guides - had become a going concern. While Deodato continued to hunt, part time, Max and Jake were running trap lines as well as hunting deer and boar. They had tamed a few feral dogs and created a hunting pack. Some coyote furs were becoming available as a result of their work as well. Serpina was running the family business as well as working hides and making clothing. Extra seamstress work was being done by Anastasia.

Finbar's farm co-op now included his wife Consuela, his son Leaf, Mark, Musetta and Francesca. The granary was well filled along with the community belly.

Geoff has established himself as carpenter and cabinet maker. He set up a shop and an additional space for Julia to use as a school room, and a leather shop when she was not teaching. Julia turned out great boots for cruising in the wood as well as softer shoes for more formal occasions. The ladies were well pleased.

Rudi, the shepherd, had increased his flock from the original two to twelve, and was delivering wool to Serpina and Anastasia. This was being carded and spun using tools supplied by the smiths and Geoff, who had constructed a foot-cranked spinning wheel to the great delight of the ladies. Woollen clothing was becoming more available as each shearing season passed. Carmen had been able to identify some vegetable dyes and the homespun was becoming more colourful. We did need to find something to use as a mordant, though.

The mining duo, Will and Wilf, had found much ore in the talus slopes below one of the cliffs and were considering whether to tunnel or to start an open pit operation to obtain unweathered ore. Katerina has learned to classify and sort the ore, and is holding a bin that may contain copper and silver ores.

Patrick, Col and Calvin have formed a loose partnership to produce not only uisgebeatha from the grain but also some sort of wine or brandy from the local grapes. Calvin would like to start a solera with a view to making a fine Xerez type wine. This will be a long-term endeavour but Xerez would be a major trade item. The books for this are being kept by Dierdre because keeping track of a solera is not easy.

After the meeting, a meal was served complete with some of Calvin's vintage from about a year ago. A light red, with a young flavour that went down like silk gloves. If this stuff will travel, we have a great trade bonanza in this boy.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

A Nonny Moose

Time flies by when you are not looking. Another lustrum has passed, and we find ourselves with a larger population, some ex-officio and some permanent. Imagine our surprise when Leon arrived with a new wife.

"Indio, this is Marilyn, my wife", Leon said as they came ashore. "A man cannot live without proper companionship and Marilyn is a coastal pilot as well."

"Welcome to Hereweare, Marilyn. This is my wife Marta. The two of you should go to see my daughter-in-law, Vicki, and get caught up. Leon and I will be busy trading, then we'll join you."

Just then John came down the gang plank with a pretty woman on his arm. "And here is my new wife, Susanna."

"You fellows are just full of surprises today. What else do you have that will astonish me?"

"Well", said Leon, "I have some passengers who are looking for a place to settle. You might want to meet them."

"By all means. We can always stand some new talent, because at the moment we only have 41 permanent residents. We'll see if they like us and we like them."

John went back aboard.

"I need to ask a favour", said Leon. "Susanna is with child and I'd prefer it if she could be delivered someplace safe. Can you put her up until then?"

"I think so. Geoff has a spare room, and will probably be happy to make this accommodation."

John returned with a man, a woman and three children, all walking down the gangway.

"Here are Prufrock, Olive, and their children William, Polly and Guy. Pru is a master stonemason.", Leon introduced the family. "This is Indio of Hereweare, the headman."

"Hello. What brings you travelling for a new spot in the world."

"We hail from Fallstown, but there is no work for us there any more. We are looking for someplace to settle and build a new life."

"Will you act as a part of our community and defend it if need be?"

"Yes."

"Then welcome to Hereweare. Hang about here for a few minutes and I'll find someone to get your family settled until we can help you build a new place."

"Many thanks. I'll be looking for any likely youngsters to become apprentices."

I asked Juliana to guide our new mason family to the town and see who could put them up for a few days.

"And now, friends, let us get about our business. What have you got in your holds of interest to a remote settlement? You know, up to now at least, you've had exclusive access to us."

Leon jumped right in with, "Come aboard. We have some metal wares that might interest you even though you have your own smithy. How are you doing with your steel project?"

+++

Trading concluded to the mutual satisfaction of all. The new steel knives were appreciated by everyone, and Geoff promised some new knife blocks to keep them safe. Geoff agreed to put up Susanna until she was delivered. Georgio and Carmen gave over their loft to our new immigrants until they finished their own cabin. Pru's son William (Billy) expressed an interest in ironmongery so Georgio took him on a tour of his foundry, including the apprentice displays.

Dash and Vicki, with Minnie in her carrier were showing Susanna their new loom that Geoff and Dash had constructed for her. She gave a small demonstration of how stripes could be woven. Then Jake and Lisa took Susanna over to their studio to see the block of granite Lisa was carving. She noticed Sensa playing in her play pen and said, "I hope I can use that when my baby comes."

"Of course", said Lisa. "It will be nice to have an infant around again."

A Nonny Moose

The year turned to summer and then to fall. Lisa was safely delivered of her new son, Liam. Two legs, two arms, two openings, one loud and one unmentionable.

Our master mason was guided over to the mining site by our miners and found a large sheet of limestone that he felt he could use productively. Consulting with Georgio and Geoff, he was to get them to help him produce a stone cutting saw that, using some of the tougher rock, ground up as an abrasive allowed him to cut some blocks out of the sheet. However, he needed some help, and agreed to take Calvin's Frederick and Willem's Maurice as mason apprentices. Both boys were quite enthusiastic and excited to be able to do something besides help in the parental endeavours.

Fred was overheard to say that he was totally sick of stamping out grapes, and Morrie was glad to be off egg patrol.

This left Calvin without a helper, but he soon convinced Billy, Pru's son, to come over and help with the vintage. While Billy was only 8 years old, the council felt that this apprenticeship would not be more than he could handle. Apprenticeship notes were handed out to the three boys.

Pru took his new charges over to his quarry site and explained how to set up and saw the limestone. He also gave them one of Georgio's 3, 4, 5 triangles so they could set the cuts square to each other.

"Now, boys, the first thing to do is mark a line on the stone. Take this string and get it coated in the chalk, then decide where you want your first cut. Now, snap the string along the line and there you have your cutting line. Use a chisel along that line to set a groove."

Morrie said, "Then we fill the groove with the grit and lay the saw band over top?"

"Quite right. Each of you then take a handle and start sawing the band back and forth.

"How often will be need to add more grit?" asked Fred.

"Whenever the saw stops cutting. Try and get a hand's breadth into the stone by nightfall. And use your gloves or you'll have a set of blisters you won't appreciate."

The boys set to work with a will, and Pru walked over to the mine site to see what was going on.

Will and Wilf were sitting drinking tea and offered him a cup. "Glad you came by, master", said Wilf. "We've come on a vein of stuff we don't recognize and hoped that you could identify it for us."

After the tea, the miners took Pru into their tunnel and lit up a section of the rock which was a sort of dull green.

"This looks to be copper ore", said Pru. "Dig out a sample big enough to work with, and I'll take it back to camp an see."

Pru was soon on his way back to the settlement with a chunk of rock in a bag. He went to see Georgio.

"Ho, Geo, the miners have given me this sample to see what we think of it."

Georgio hefted the rock, looked at it and scratched at it with a tool. "Looks like copper ore to me. What say we grind it up and try smelting it?"

"Fine. Let's get busy. Are your apprentices about, we'll need more charcoal and someone to pump that bellows of yours."

"I have no apprentices at the moment, but we can ask the journeymen to help us out."

Sam and Dash were just putting the finishing touches on Pru's new cottage when Geo and Pru came to them.

"If you'll be finished with that soon," Geogio said, "Pru and I have something more interesting to work on. The miners have found some interesting rock and we'd like you to help us with the smelting of it."

"We'll be finished with this in about an hour, master." said Dash. "Then after we've moved Pru into his new house, we'll come to the smithy to see what we can do there."

Prufrock looked relieved. "It will be good to have our own cottage, and I am sure you'll be happy to get your loft back, Geo. I'll get Olive started on moving as soon as we can have this place."

"Fine." said Georgio. "Sam and Dash can report to the smithy after breakfast tomorrow and we'll see about that hunk of ore."

A Nonny Moose

Dear Readers:

You can see this is getting complex.  I've moved this along over a period of some 11 or 12 years, and can go on for a long time.  I've never written a piece of fiction top down like this and have no idea where the scenario (I can hardly call it a plot) is going.

Because this is based on the game, each character and their adherents have names.  I now have a dramatis personae sheet going into a page and a half.  If anyone is interested in it and its generations, I'd be happy to post them somewhere.

John.

Bobbi

It's kind of nice to just let the story develop kind of randomly, isn't it. Just let the creativity flow....As for posting your genealogy, I suppose it's too long to put it here?

A Nonny Moose

Bobbi, it's a two page text file.  I could put it up on Dropbox if you like.  There are currently three generations of the file.  I could also add the source for the story which is one huge HTML file.

A Nonny Moose

And the beat goes on.

Billy went to the winery to take up his new tasks. Calvin greeted him with "Hello, Billy. I am sure you must be wondering about what you can do around here."

"Yes, master."

"Hold up on that 'master' stuff. I have not achieved that exhalted state as yet. You can call me 'Cal'."

"Now I want you to run this grape press. First, remove as much of the stems as you can, then put the grapes between these boards and turn this crank until you can't force it any more. The juice will run down into the filter then into the keg at the bottom."

"Yes, Cal. When I have a problem I'll come find you."

Georgio and Prufrock went to see how the journeymen were doing. The green rock had been crushed up into much smaller pieces and was being fed into a hot area of the forge.

Dash said, "We've followed the discussion we had at dinner last night, master. I hope this meets your approval."

"Fine.", said Georgio. "Now be sure to get it all in there, then put plenty of air through the bellows. We don't really know what it will take to reduce that stuff."

"We'll see what we get in the crucible.", said Sam.

Next day, Georgio showed Pru a small bar of red coloured metal. "It is definitely copper."

"If you can draw that into wire, my wife can make some jewelry from it.", said Prufrock.

+++

When Leon docked a few days later he was delighted to meet his new grandson. Lisa and John were proud to show him off to his grandpa.

"Father", said John, "Do you think you could do a couple of voyages without me? I'd like to stay here to see that all goes will with Liam and to work a little to help pay for our keep."

"If you will build a cabin for me while we are gone, you can have the use of it until I get back. I am planning to retire here with Susanna and I want you to take over the boat and trading business."

John was taken aback. "Heavens, I had no idea that this was in the wind."

"I'm tired, son. Now that I have a wife, I'd like to stay here. These are good people, and I am sure of my welcome."

"What will you do, here?"

"I will act as their factor, and run a general store. You know how shrewd I can be in trading, and others will be finding out about this place soon, because I've been getting inquiries about their wares. They need someone strong to protect their commercial interests."

"That's quite a plan, Father. Have you discussed it with the town council?

"Not yet. I'll spring it on Indio this evening and we'll see where it goes from there."

Bobbi

Copper jewelry! I make jewelry with copper wire and gemstones! Fabulous.

A Nonny Moose

We try to increase our product variety as much as possible.  The boys are only mining for coal so far, but some of the ores they find might be even more interesting.  Who knows as things progress.

That evening Leon took me aside and made his proposition. "When had you thought you might like to join our gang?", I asked.

"Well, John wants to stay here for a while to get his family in better shape and will build a cabin for me while I am gone on one or two more trading trips." said Leon. "I would like to settle down with Susanna fairly soon, as I've been on the road for many years. John can take over the trade route. What do you think of my taking on the factor job?"

"I think we'll help John build a new building for you with quarters for you and with a store out front adjacent to our current warehouse. We'll make it as comfortable as we can. I've wanted off this hook for some time."

"Glad to hear you say that. I guess it will be all right if the rest of the town approves."

"Well, you could say that I have some clout, there. I don't think it will be a problem. The town meeting can be called after our trading session tomorrow. I want your opinion on the new jewelery being made by Pru's wife, Olive, out of copper wire and the native garnets we've been digging out of the rocks around here"

"Well, that sounds pretty good. I am going to sleep well, tonight."

"Night cap? Pat has produced a new type of uisgebeatha with a more smoky flavour. I think you'll like it."

"Yes, thanks"

I poured our libation and we sat in companionable silence for a while.

"That's good stuff", said Leon eventually. "Good night." and he left.

A Nonny Moose

The next day, as we walked over to the warehouse, I told Leon that I had spoken to other members of the council and they were agreeable to his proposal. We would hold a formal vote that evening. I've always found that if you are going to propose something, it is well to have prepared the ground.

"Thank you", said Leon. "Now, can I see some of this new jewelry that has been produced?"

We arrived at the warehouse to find Olive there with a new consignment of her copper work.

"Olive, have you met Leon the trader?", I asked.

"Only at the evening gatherings", she said.

"Leon is interested in your handcrafted jewelry, and I see you have some there."

"Yes, the miners found an exceptionally large garnet, so I wove it into this broach. Do you like it?"

"Well", said Leon, "I am interested in this kind of work, and that is excellent. We'll consider it in the current trade."

I said, "Let's complete our inventory here, then go to the boat and see what you have for trading."

The trade was concluded, and that night at the town meeting I noticed that Susanna was wearing the large garnet. The vote was held and Leon's proposition to join our colony was approved. Cal and Francie then served up a light collation along with some of Cal's new dry white wine. This went over rather well.

Leon said, "This wine wasn't in the warehouse. Why is that?"

"It is a new experiment", said Cal. "Do you like it?"

"Oh yes. It is quite a change from the sweeter wines you've been producing."

"I didn't want to produce dry wines until I had built a bit of a clientelle. I have a couple of kegs of this that you can have. I am curious to see if it will travel."

"Done. I'll consider them as a consignment and if it sells as well as I think, I'll let you have the net proceeds when I get back."

In the morning, John brought his living goods ashore with the help of some of the crew. Trade goods were stowed and Leon went aboard.

"Looking forward to your next arrival, captain", I said.

"Beam winds and following seas, Father" called John as the bateau fended off the pier.

The boat sailed off, and we watched it out of sight.

A Nonny Moose

John enlisted the help of several people to help build the new trading post. While it was first proposed to be located with the warehouse inland, the final conclusion was that it should be on the shore with a good pier and at least two docks separated by a crane. Since Walter was now running the fishery, I opted to work on the pier design along with the others. We hoped to finish before the next trader arrived, but were disappointed when a different bateau hove into sight.

John was on the partially finished pier, and signalled for the newcomer to make fast there. "Welcome to Hereweare", he said.

"Hello" said the newcomer. "I'm David of Kantorum, trader. Please tie us off to that post."

John quickly made a round turn with two half hitches.

"You are clearly a seaman.", said David.

"Aye", said John, "And soon to be a competitor. But for now, I am of this place."

"That needs some explaining, my friend", said David with a frown.

"Hold on", I said, "We are always happy to see traders, and I think we are large enough to interest more than one."

"David, this is Indio, council head."

"Glad to meet you Indio. We've some goods that might well interest you."

"David, you are welcome. This is John, who is currently our factor. We'll explain better over food and drink, so come ashore when you are secured. Sorry about the mess, we are just building this new trading post."

David finished tying up, then leaving his crew on watch, vaulted to the pier. We walked together up to the town square.

"John is our temporary factor standing in for Leon of Springton, who is retiring from trade to be our factor. John, Leon's son, will replace Leon on his route, but is currently settling for his parents. Next time you call in here, the post should be finished. Do you know Leon?""

"We've met in port a few times. He is always a good companion, but I hadn't met you, John?"

"As my father's mate, I've always stood the watch."

"Well, then, this is a good chance to get acquiainted as I am sure we'll meet on the routes in future."

We reached the awning in the square, found a table and sat down. I sent one of the children to find Marta to bring us some hospitality. Marta soon appeared with Susanna and a large tray of comestibles.

"Thanks, ladies. This is Marta my wife and Susanna, John's wife. Sue, where is Liam?"

"Oh, he's off playing with Sensa over at Jake's"

"Someone baby sitting of course. At the moment, David, we only have two precious babies."

"Oh, yes, Lizzie is with them".

The women left. We helped ourselves to bowls of the game stew, and I passed around the basket of bread. John handed the cups around and passed a flask of Calvin's wine of the day.

"You live well, here in the forest." remarked David.

"We've been here now for over 10 years, and we do what we can. We are lucky to have some talented people, and we've been fortunate in that there are good resources here. With your and other traders' help we expect to prosper even more."

"Here's to your continued success. Do you have any restrictiions on who comes here?"

"The only requirement is willingness to work. A skilled trade is always welcome. Access by land is difficult, but you could sell a few one-way tickets if you can find suitable people."

A Nonny Moose

After our meal, it had become quite late. I suggested that David stay overnight and that trading could be done in the morning. John was agreeable, and so we all went about our tasks for the rest of the day.

I met at the warehouse in the morning with John and David. I wanted to see how John conducted a trade knowing he had been trained by Leon.

John openend the trade with, "Good morning, David. Let's take a walk among our bins and see what might interest you for trade."

"Fine. And you can call me Dave if you like. What's in these small casks in this bin?"

"These casks contain our newest product, a white wine that you tasted last night. Do you think it will make a good trade item?"

"No doubt whatever. I'll take ten. Let's continue."

The casks were put aside, and the pick continued until a fairly large stack of goods had been chosen by David. We made a list and gathered up a group of townsmens to begin carrying the selection to the pier. We then went to the harbour and boarded David's vessel and into the hold list in hand.

David introduced us to Gary, his supercargo, "Friends, this is Gary who is in charge of the trade goods we carry."

John handed the list to Gary saying, "Good to meet you, Gary. What have you got to offset the goods on this list. Our people are carrying it all down to the harbour as we speak."

Gary looked over the list, thought for a few moments and said, "Come this way. I think you'll find our stock interesting. We have several steel goods from the forges in the area, and we carry a wide stock of foodstuffs that, perhaps, you don't produce for yourselves."

After a couple of hours of discussion and bartering, the trade was completed, and David's crew moved the new goods ashore and the bartered goods into the hold. I was pleased.

"Well, gentlemen", I said, "Let's go into town and celebrate our success with a small lunch and a drink of this excellent white wine you have purchased. Perhaps Gary, you'd like to join us?"

"I'll set the watch and catch up to you", Gary said.

Leaf was on service at the awning that morning. We gave her our order, and Gary gave her a look that we pretended not to notice.

"Who is that serving girl?", asked Gary.

"Leaf is the daughter of Finbar and Consuela, our farmmaster. She is of age if you are so inclined, but that will be a matter for the two of you to settle.

David said, "It is too late to sail today, so with your permission we'll stay the night and depart at first light."

Everyone was agreeable. We adjourned to our tasks or to see the sights.

Later that evening, Gary and Leaf were seen sitting on a log bench by the community fire deep in conversation.

Bobbi

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Bobbi on November 10, 2014, 09:09:24 AM
Love is in the air  ;D

Well, I am getting to the point where the people that were children at the beginning have now grown up.  Some of the local boys are going to have to find mates externally, and I haven't decided just how that will go.

If Leaf and Gary become handfast,  then there is the problem of does she live aboard with Gary or does he come ashore for her.  A minor conflict, but every story needs conflict.

rkelly17

Thank you for keeping the story going. You're doing what writers need to do--getting me to care about the people. Maybe no Giller Prize yet, but fine writing.

For all you non-Canadians, the Giller is Canada's biggest literary prize ($100,000) awarded last night to Sean Michaels for his novel Us Conductors.