News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Longevity of Banished

Started by snapster, October 13, 2014, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

I get the impression that in say 200 hours you'll get a large, self-sustaining town or perhaps city, essentially beating the game. It's unclear whether the game developer has further plans for the game. How much can people do through mods and where do you see mods carrying the game? Is Banished a game that can be played or will be playable long term, setting aside challenges and such?

RedKetchup

bah personally, since the mod kit is out... i never played a game anymore :P and i really dunno if i will able again one day ^^ probably. will see
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

It really depends on the creativity of the players.  Now that the mod kit is out, there is a chance that this game might last as long as Simcity 4 Deluxe (still going strong after 12 years), or it might just die out when the novelty wears off.

Luke is doing some really good work, and I'd hate to see it go the way of the shoot-'em-ups.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

I've probably got 600-700 hours in the game, and I feel like I'm just getting started. Began a new town last week using mods for the first time, it's almost new again.

salamander

I have to agree with @irrelevant.  According to Steam, I have 777 hours of playing, and I certainly don't feel like I've exhausted the possibilities.  Even without the mods, there always seemed to be new goals that you could set for yourself that changed the way you might develop a town.  With the mods, the possibilities have only been increased in number.

snapster

Are there multiple ways to develop towns without some let's call them subjectively pointless artificial goals? As I implied in the first post, I'm not interested in reading about challenges or "I want a vegetarian town" stuff. (I wish I could still take Adderall.) Is the game deep enough to have different kinds of towns? What would the point be? Just going through possibilities or would there be a deeper purpose? One example would be adapting to the setting (say, a mining town or community), another building a learned town/city.

Why would mods, more specifically, make the experience feel "almost new again"?

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 13, 2014, 08:36:47 AMIt really depends on the creativity of the players.

I thought only so much can be done with the mod kit?

PS

Please don't be overzealous trying to deal with spam. At least remove the question part for posting.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 09:31:39 AM
Are there multiple ways to develop towns without some let's call them subjectively pointless artificial goals? As I implied in the first post, I'm not interested in reading about challenges or "I want a vegetarian town" stuff. (I wish I could still take Adderall.) Is the game deep enough to have different kinds of towns? What would the point be? Just going through possibilities or would there be a deeper purpose? One example would be adapting to the setting (say, a mining town or community), another building a learned town/city.

Playing any game is by definition going to involve subjectively pointless artificial goals. What is the point of playing a game?

In response to a vegetarian challenge, I built a different kind of town. In response to trying to gain three achievements (Mountain Men, Isolationist, One with Nature) I built a kind of town that was radically different from anything I had previously done, learned a lot and had a blast doing it. In response to self-imposed goals and restrictions I built a pop 6000 town that made extensive use of farming and manufacturing, rather than just trading firewood for logs which is the typical and easiest way to boom.

Now the mods have totally changed the game by giving us new options and encouraging us to find ways to use them. I find myself re-thinking most of my previous building strategies in order to make use of the new structures and take advantage of their benefits.

Without subjectively pointless artificial goals, I would be hard-pressed not to make the same town over and over. Yes, I can see how that would be boring.

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 13, 2014, 09:46:16 AMIn response to self-imposed goals and restrictions I built a pop 6000 town that made extensive use of farming and manufacturing, rather than just trading firewood for logs which is the typical and easiest way to boom.

So basically this game has a long way to go. The question is whether anyone would take it there. Anyone actually even get the point?

Mahnogard

It sounds like you want someone to tell you why you, personally, would want to keep playing the game. You can't discount how / why others are enjoying the game if you want an answer to your original questions, and no one can answer you without being subjective because how each of us play the game and what we get out of it is going to be different, including a lot of those "subjectively pointless artificial goals" that you aren't interested in.

Neither the game nor the mods is going to hand anyone a pre-built reason for playing, but they can open up various ways of playing. Mods can add new production chains, enabling new play styles focused on those things. Though you aren't interested in it, the Vegan Town is a perfect example of that - mods provide alternative resources (plant-based textiles) that make such a thing possible, whereas in the base game you need animal products just to make clothing.

snapster

I'll just wait for a good response.

salamander

Based on what you've said, I guess I'm at a loss to explain why you play games at all.  You might call the goals I set for myself in playing Banished pointless and artificial, but they work for me, and they keep the game enjoyable.  The game is as 'deep' as you make it.  Many towns, even with different ultimate goals in mind, start similarly because survival at the start has to come first; but, the further development of the town once basic survival is ensured is entirely up to you, and you certainly don't have to do it the same every time.  Your examples of developing a mining town or a learned town, and acknowledging they would develop differently, seem to argue that the game is perhaps 'deeper' than your original post suggests.

rkelly17

I guess that I am a different kind of gamer than you are @snapster. I hate game-imposed goals and stick with games where I can pursue my own subjective goals. That's one reason I've got 1089 hours for Banished on my Steam counter (It still hasn't quite passed Civ 5 with 1742 hours). It doesn't set what I consider artificial goals and it lets me pursue what I want. If I want a a trading empire today, I'll do that. Tomorrow maybe I'll want a series of farming villages, so I'll do that. Sometimes I get an "achievement," sometimes I don't. I suppose that is why I prefer the gameplay of the original Railroad Tycoon and RRT Deluxe to the sequels: The original just let me build railroads to my heart's content and somebody decided that wasn't enough for the sequels. I basically used the scenario editor to deconstruct all the scenarios so I could do what I wanted on the maps.  Games that impose "scenarios" with "goals" on me don't live long on my hard drive.

Of course, I was always the sort that thought "curiosity-driven" research would produce more useful knowledge in the end than government or corporate mandated "results" (there's a laugh) research, so I'm clearly a dinosaur headed for extinction--but I'm a happy dinosaur.  ;D

snapster

Pangaea

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 09:58:32 AM

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 10:04:59 AM
Suit yourselves.

Nice. So you're just looking to move on then? "No, the game is shit"? Would that be a "good answer"?

There are many ways to play the game, to build towns, but if you just want to move on, then do that. The game isn't for everybody.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 09:58:32 AM
If none of these responses seems good, then I'd have to say that you're right, this game has nothing that would be of further interest to you, and it is unlikely to do so in the future.