Author Topic: Who is playing Simcity 2013?  (Read 14566 times)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Re: Who is playing Simcity 2013?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
@solarscreen, I noticed some pics from Sim City which you posted in the "Other Games" folder of the Gallery. Question: Are these pictures of a whole city or of one neighbourhood of a larger city?

Each pic is generally an entire city unless I zoomed in . That's all the space you get in the new Simcity. Each city is on a map that holds between 3 and 12 cities that can provide resources and workers to each other.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure whether I like that or not. Especially not sure if I like that $60 worth.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:19 AM »
City size is the main issue for the new SimCity imho. They squeezed out most of the bugs, tuned the game much better and added some much needed features. But city size is just too limiting.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure whether I like that or not. Especially not sure if I like that $60 worth.

Should be able to get it for around $20 these days.

The 2 square KM size is very limiting though.  I just made the best of it.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »
Thanks, @solarscreen. Now you've created an existential crisis. Hmm. Really don't want to pay $60, but what about $20? Hmm . . . . Maybe $20 . . . . Maybe . . . .

:-[

Offline Rezulm

• Laborer
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
The city size plots and how it turns out looking are a game breaker for me.  Wish I hadn't spent more than $5 on that game.  I'd rather play the previous Sim City, Tropico 4 or 5, Banished, or Cities XL.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:39:02 PM by Rezulm »

Offline Rezulm

• Laborer
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Let me put it this way.  What if Banished came out with a sequel.  And it had some improved graphics and some interesting features...  But you had to build on plots that are smaller than a small Banished map?  Like 1 market zone each in a small square and you could quit that zone and work on another zone that interacted somewhat with your other zones, but there was all this dead space in between them.  So you end up with scattered square zones tightly packed with buildings and only one would really simulate at a time?  Garbage.

Oh, and then, when you're in the region view zoomed out, or in one of your square zones, you can see your other zones in the distance and they all are just squares with empty space around them connected by roads? 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:48:37 PM by Rezulm »

Offline Demonocracy

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:40 AM »
Let me put it this way.  What if Banished came out with a sequel.  And it had some improved graphics and some interesting features...  But you had to build on plots that are smaller than a small Banished map?  Like 1 market zone each in a small square and you could quit that zone and work on another zone that interacted somewhat with your other zones, but there was all this dead space in between them.  So you end up with scattered square zones tightly packed with buildings and only one would really simulate at a time?  Garbage.

Oh, and then, when you're in the region view zoomed out, or in one of your square zones, you can see your other zones in the distance and they all are just squares with empty space around them connected by roads? 

This is a pretty accurate assessment of the newest Sim City.

Don't forget:

• the extremely poor release experience
  • always online feature (eventually corrected like a year later)
  • upselling "expansions" with little game impact
  • in-game advertising campaigns (Nissan Leaf charging stations added)
  • game-breaking bugs (especially traffic)
  • absolutely abysmal public relations and communication with the customer base.

I like the older Sim City games a great deal.  I still dabble with the new Sim City from time to time to remind myself why I don't play it more often too because I want to like it the way I have liked the Sim City games before it.  But... there are just so many problems with it, and I find it largely disappointing.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »
I very recently gave myself an overdose of Banished by entering 17 years of genealogical information about Boltona, and have lately been playing SimCity 4 again.  I only purchased it at the beginning of this year so I hadn't had time to get bored yet with all of the mods.  In fact, I had paid for three DVDs of mods from Simtropolis which arrived after I had begin playing Banished.  I have lots to explore.   :)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:06 AM »
@slink, if you're just getting into SimCity 4, in my humble opinion (worth what you pay for it) the most essential mod is NAM, Network Add-on Mod, which greatly upgrades the transportation network and adds stuff that isn't in the Maxis version (such as street cars) One of the great things about the SC 4 modding community is that people work together and keep the upgrades coming. I get much of my stuff now from SimCity 4 Devotion. Simtropolis is also good.

Here's a sick plan: Do an SC 4 map to duplicate your Banished map and create a modern version of your Banished town! I might just give it a try.

I've also obsessed doing genealogy for a Banished town. Play two game years copying down everything that happens, enter data in Uncle Torg's Citizen Tracker, figure out a date for everything, enter data in genealogy prgram; repeat. Every cycle takes a day! What am I doing to myself????

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »
@rkelly17: NAM is the greatest thing to happen to SimCity since the arcology and the multiple-cultural overlays!  :D  Traffic pathing has always been that game's worst shortcoming.  I discovered NAM 12 days before Banished came out and installed Java on my computer when I had said I wasn't going to do that again.  You need Java to manage NAM properly.

I would need to print out a map of my banished colony in order to reproduce it in SimCity.  I can't ALT-TAB out of an open SimCity 4 city, although I can from a region.  What would the marketplaces be?  Commercial zoning?  SimCity 4 uses a different model, where traffic flow past commercial properties causes growth in those properties.  Right now I encircle residential with commercial, and then industrial.  The centers are civic services.

I bought a new copy of Family Tree Maker last week, just so I could enter the genealogy of colonies in Banished.  I had the 2012 version into which I had entered my own family genealogy, but the 2014 version has an improved interface similar to that on ancestry.com where I also have my family genealogy.  My interest in genealogy took a quantum leap two years ago when I discovered the link between my father's grandfather and the rest of a rather large family tree which I had received from another branch over 20 years ago.  I found it published in an out-of-copyright book, of all things.  I know it sounds silly but, even with all of my mother's family tree filled in, I still felt like an orphan until I found that link.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
@slink, I was thinking of a city where some redevelopment had happened but some connection with the past maintained. Remember that I grew up in LA where anything more than 10 years old was a target for destruction! On the other hand cities like Montreal have kept some of the oldest parts of town and redeveloped around them. You can always cite the Great Fire of 18something that burned down much of the town (this is Banished after all). I did a screenshot and then blew up the little mini-map. I was going to print that out to use as a guide. I've never ALT-Tabbed out of SC 4 on purpose, but the "Windows" key on my keyboard is right next to the ALT key which realigns streets and sometimes . . . .

I've been thinking about genealogy more lately. For my Banished town I downloaded Gramps, an open source freeware program from Sourceforge. The other day my grandson William came home from school telling me about what they had been learning about the Underground Railroad. He mentioned reading about Levi Coffin, who it happens is brother to a direct ancestor on my maternal grandmother's side. Since William's father is from Mozambique it is meaningful to him that at least some of his ancestors helped Africans escape from slavery to Canada.  I pulled out a complete genealogy that my grandmother's cousin had done back in the late 40s/early50s to show him the connection and that got me thinking about doing more. I'm not sure about putting out the money for ancestry.com (the Canadian version is cheaper, but all of our ancestors are in the US, so . . . .), but I might start inputting the data in Gramps and see what happens from there.

Offline Paeng

• Banished Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »
I tried SC2013, but it did not stick - for me, it holds no charme at all...

* Though to be fair - I'm totally biased... after many years of producing and modding content for SC4, plus collecting about 20Gb of CC, any game would have a hard time living up to that...
Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
@Paeng, are you the same Paeng who contributes to the SimPeg site? If so, thank you, thank you, thank you. I use some of those mods and custom content all the time.

Offline Paeng

• Banished Expert
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
are you the same Paeng

That would be me, yes...  :-[

* But hey, glad you find some of our stuff useful!  :D
Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn