Author Topic: Looks like I'm going to need a new colour printer but ...  (Read 3537 times)

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
Looks like I'm going to need a new colour printer but ...
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
I haven't kept up with the technology.  Everything I have is wire (USB) connected and most printers these days are wireless.  This idea leaves me a little cold, as I don't want to have to install an Internet hub just for a printer or do they work on some other principle?  My present Internet connection is a broadband wired connection to my cable TV provider.

I have had Internet hubs (Router) before, and they are OK, but for a single installation I really don't see the need for all the extra gear.

Ideally, I'd like a printer, which I only use about once a week, that operates on either an IR or low frequency radio connection without an extra Internet box.

Now, I also happen to have an elderly scanner, and many printers include a scanning facility (so it is two devices, at least).  I have no interest in a FAX modem, but I could happily accept an all-in-one gadget and just not hook up the modem.

Most of my peripheral gear is about 20 years old.

So, how about some general update advice on currently available stuff, please?
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Re: Looks like I'm going to need a new colour printer but ...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »
Based on your usage and connection desire, I recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Envy-4500-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00CIDQ470/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419084664&sr=1-3&keywords=inkjet+printer

-ISO speed: Up to 8.8 ppm black, Up to 5.2 ppm color
-Standard connectivity: Hi-Speed USB 2.0; WiFi 802.11n
-Borderless printing: Yes (up to 8.5 x 11 in, 216 x 297 mm)
-Print from your smartphone, tablet, and Internet-connected PC.
-With Black and Color ink cartridges

Notice it still supports USB connectivity so you don't need to use the wireless.
The wireless printing supports printing straight from your smartphone, if you wanted to.

I recommend HP over the other brands for inkjet printers for one simple reason:
The print heads are built into the print cartridges of HP.  If a print head clogs, buy another cartridge.
If the print head on another brand clogs, you have to buy another printer.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
It always pays to ask the right people.  I've used HP printers most of my home system life but get switched to Epson when my wife passed away and her printer was better than mine (Stylus-870 7 colour photo machine).  I'll probably take your recommendation, but will try to source one locally.  Thank you.

BTW, I don't have an electronic leash, and never will have.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:43:04 AM »
It always pays to ask the right people.  I've used HP printers most of my home system life but get switched to Epson when my wife passed away and her printer was better than mine (Stylus-870 7 colour photo machine).  I'll probably take your recommendation, but will try to source one locally.  Thank you.

BTW, I don't have an electronic leash, and never will have.

For me personally, I use an Epson Artisan 700.  I like the Epson ink for the photos and dvds I print.  I learned the hard way about the print heads issue when my previous Epson was ruined by leaving it on all the time and the ink drying up in the print head.  So, for Epson, ALWAYS turn the printer off when not in use. The print head will close and help prevent this issue. 

I recommend the HP printers for those I support and for business as I can't expect those I support to remember to turn off their printers.  HP makes it easier to support.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
Interesting comment.  I've had this Epson printer for a very long time and I never leave it powered up.  The problem is getting ink cartridges for it.  They are getting to be special order if available at all, so it is time for a quantum leap into the modern era.

My usual supplier is an OEM shop and I have to talk to them about this.  Since I am pretty much a shut-in, and they will deliver, its a good thing they have a web site.  Unfortunately their catalogue is all up in the air at the moment due to the Christmas rush.

Who knows, maybe it is time to reduce the footprint on my desk.  Right now it is a medium tower, and I know they can be had much smaller these days.  Replacing my black box wouldn't be a big deal, especially since I want a custom system.

With the new printer/scanner, I can get rid of some of the tangle of cables on the back of my table.  If I went for a wireless keyboard/mouse then an even better reduction is possible, but then there is a matter of batteries.  You can't win; you can't break even; you can't get out of the game.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:45:25 AM »
I used to use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard until one day at work when I had Word open.  Mystery typing began to appear on my screen. Turned out to be the itinerary and credit card info for the CEO.  My bluetooth receiver was picking up the signal from the Executive Assistant somehow and she was typing on her computer and mine.  He was a big advocate for wireless until I had him come to my office and look on my screen while she typed. 

We used rechargeable batteries and had two rapid chargers and spare batteries readily available for all users.  After the ghost writing incident, I have never used wireless keyboards again.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
I am pretty safe in this building because most of the other tenants are LOLs waiting for God as far as WiFi goes.  I am, however, widely experienced in computers and security and anything that's broadcast gives me the willies.  If I wasn't feeling fairly secure here, I'd Faraday shield my box of tricks.  I think my security paranoia will keep me from ever using wireless anything, even printers. 

I think most of the people in this building think I am the computer hermit on the second floor.  Since I don't know anyone in this town, it is pretty much true.

I wonder how much internal WiFi Sony uses on their campus?  Has anyone told them just how vulnerable this is?  Even with a wired hookup, I have a monitor program that allows me to capture every packet on my shared service, in full gory detail if I want.  Discovered it the other day when I got an update for it.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »
I am pretty safe in this building because most of the other tenants are LOLs waiting for God as far as WiFi goes.  I am, however, widely experienced in computers and security and anything that's broadcast gives me the willies.  If I wasn't feeling fairly secure here, I'd Faraday shield my box of tricks.  I think my security paranoia will keep me from ever using wireless anything, even printers. 

I think most of the people in this building think I am the computer hermit on the second floor.  Since I don't know anyone in this town, it is pretty much true.

I wonder how much internal WiFi Sony uses on their campus?  Has anyone told them just how vulnerable this is?  Even with a wired hookup, I have a monitor program that allows me to capture every packet on my shared service, in full gory detail if I want.  Discovered it the other day when I got an update for it.

From my experience, corporate attitude towards computer security is negligent at best. They don't want to spend money and IT requires regular expenditures. Until recently, most external auditors have considered IT risks to be low risks and therefore spending money on security is low priority. 

Now that Sony has had their ENTIRE company dumped onto the internet, corporations MAY start to consider whether they have a risk. However, many execs look at IT like it's smoke and mirrors and magic.  They think the CIO or IT Manager is power crazy when they ask for money for training and next generation application firewalls and encryption.  Most don't even like to have to enter a password on their computers.

Sony and I'm sure many other corporations are going to reap their rewards for ignoring IT.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
I left corporate application considerations when things were still in-house.  We had one or two very restricted remote stations, and I would have been happier if we had had more user access.  You are right about passwords.

The next place I worked was a university, and as I was a privileged user, I was required to change my password once a week.  it was an automatic system, and if you didn't do it, your account would lock and you'd have to go hat in hand to the security officer.  Of course the student body, mostly undergrads, were keen on breaking into our system.  I had a standing offer of a case of beer for any student who did it.  Never paid off once.

Corporations haven't yet caught on to the idea that the Internet is a broadcast medium and that anything you put on there is PUBLIC.  Seems only people who teach this stuff and sell it are aware of this.  I think there would be a lot less privacy problems and cyber crime if everyone understood this, but it will take a major culture change (shock?) to effect any such thing.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
Sorry to join this conversation late. We've been visiting relatives and had limited internet access for computer (the rest of the family has iPads, but ol' Granddad still resists).

@solarscreen, are you aware of a printer similar to the one you recommended to A Nonny Moose which isn't an "all-in-one"? I have a scanner (Flatbed because I scan from books from time to time) and would rather not pay for another one.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
Sorry to reply really really late!  Did you ever find a printer?

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
Sorry to reply really really late!  Did you ever find a printer?

Yes and no.  There are some that are suitable but real life has intervened.  When I get the time, I'll do a little shopping with my favourite dealer.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Yesterday, I acquired at Canon Pixma MG2520 printer, copier, scanner usb connect only printer for $29.95 + $8 environment tax + HST.  Got it all working on Ubuntu except the scanner section which has a little software problem with XSane thinking it is always busy.  Have sent an e-mail to the developer looking for a fix.

At this price, it is a throw away device.  But it works well, even if ink costs the earth.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
yeah printer are so cheap now !

i think all company changed their focus on how they do money : the inks.

they give up their printer to people so they are obligated to buy some ink cartridges every year :)

Before : selling printer and provide inks to make them working properly...
Now : selling inks and provide printer so they inks are working properly ^^
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:27:10 AM by RedKetchup »
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline Rayden

• Laborer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
Printers here are so cheap that I could afford to buy a new one every time the ink cartridges run off. Usually new printers includes a color and a black cartridges. The price of both bought separately are more or less the same price of a new low cost HP printer.