Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

irrelevant

Late Summer 55

The village concept is working out very well as a way to deal with the limitations of an uneducated workforce. Each village is basically self-sufficient, with a market, a TP, two choppers, two taverns, a tailor, a smith, a fisher or two, farms, and forest nodes. Auto-purchase is working well, building up surpluses of all categories. An important decision has been slow pop growth, number of families far exceeds the number of houses. Large surplus of laborers, 25%+ of pop.

Villages Two and Four.

Villages One and Six, new farms.

Villages Three and Five.

Nilla

I think you have found a great strategy for an uneducated population.

irrelevant

Year 61

Village 1 thru 6, Death Valley

Going to let this run overnight on 10x, something I never have done before, just to see what happens.

irrelevant

Year 66 - Builder

Sitting here watching; fine-tuning the production limits and the auto purchasing is crucial if you are going to let your town run unattended. Selling tools is a bad idea, particularly with uneducated.

Nilla

Death Valley? Is that because of all the accidents at the mines and quarries?

I had a new very realistic work related death in my CC game, this time not accidental but long turn. A charcoal burner died from inhaling too much smoke and dust.

irrelevant

@Nilla  Yes, that's right. I didn't just make that up, there is an actual spot in the California desert that is called Death Valley.

That is indeed a fitting death for a charcoal burner.

Year 101

Didn't really get as far as I anticipated overnight. Apparently a disease hit and re-set the speed to 1x.

Just as well, I had the iron, tool, wool, and coat auto-purchase set up poorly, resulting in the barns and stockpiles all filling up. I've been dealing with that all morning. Finally I accepted a batch of nomads just to consume some stuff, and to work in the quarries, aiming for the Mason achievement.

Edit: Gah! In less than a year, those boarding houses are now empty!  >:(

Year 104 - Mason

In 3 years, with 60 uneducated stonecutters, 6 were crushed by rocks. Now we'll see how the miners do  ;D

Year 107 - Miner. Three deaths in the mines. Not what I expected.

Year 111 - Jack of All Trades. At one point I forgot and fired all my builders, and that reset the clock. Got 6-8 educated workers by mistake. Oh well.

All that's left now is Firefighter and Tenure.

Nilla

I am a bis disappointed from the 5% educated, but congratulations anyhow.  ;)

How old where the educated student at that far away school?

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on February 08, 2015, 03:09:45 PM
I am a bis disappointed from the 5% educated, but congratulations anyhow.  ;)

How old where the educated student at that far away school?
@Nilla, Thanks!  ;D  Surprisingly not so old, 18-19. I would've expected 20s. There were some houses not so far away, but no children in them.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

irrelevant

Had a population struggle unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Accepted two batches of nomads in a row, had plenty of food, clothing, and tools for them, and boarding houses. They soon moved out of the BHs into regular housing.

I never had any intention of building more houses though, and the number of families soon far outnumbered the number of houses.

In just a few years, the population crashed severely (no housing turnover, so no new families, so no new babies), resulting in large housing surplus. I had to go through and find all of the fractured families, fire all my builders and demolish their housing (forcing them into the BHs), and reclaim the houses one by one. At the same time my food production is far in excess of need (with storage full to bursting) so I cut the gatherers in half and shut down about 40% of my farms.

I've almost got this sorted out, after ten years of effort.

No matter what your problem is, nomads are almost never going to be the solution.

Nilla

That's an interesting graph.

I am also sure that the nomads was the cause of the trouble. You had a very nice population graph, with a small but constant variation. You cannot disturb that. Each small interference has a larger impact than you expect. I've noticed that, too, in my attempts of keeping the population constant. And two batches of nomads; that's not even a small interference.

Why did you take the nomads anyway? If you didn't want to make new houses. I am a bit astonished. Haven't seen that kind of experiments in your towns so far. Venturous experiments, that's kind of my speciality. ;) You are more the thoughtful and patient kind of builder, at least so far.  But maybe you are a bit bored, nothing new happens anymore in that old town.  ??? ;)

I am eager to see the next daring changes.   ;D

irrelevant

@Nilla I took them to put workers into first the quarries and then the mines, the only reason. ;D I didn't think my pop could support the diversion of labor into the size workforce (60) required for the achievements. I had the empty boarding houses sitting there for them; I failed to consider that they would move out and take over the general housing as quickly as they did.  :o

Had I stopped with the first batch (72, I think), I would still have been okay. But I took a second batch (~80-90) to fill the boarding houses back up (they are right next to the mines), and to help deal with my oversupply problem by bringing in additional consumers. That was my first main error. I should have just shut down half of my farms, which I finally ended up doing a couple of years ago.

Even then there would have been no problem had I compensated by building additional houses. That was my second main error.

But, things are just about back to normal now.  I may be able to auto-run overnight again tonight.

My aim from here on out to Year 200 is to make this town be as boring as possible  ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on February 09, 2015, 05:49:25 PM
No matter what your problem is, nomads are almost never going to be the solution.

Says the man who holds the record!

;D