News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

You can see the "student" line on the graph flattening out at the top, every time. That means no space for more students. This means some uneducated adults, with corresponding demographic shenanigans. Is that what's causing the intermittent tall peaks and deep dips in the pop curve? We'll see.

irrelevant

irrelevant

Year 1520

Built one more school in 1480, looks like that might have done it.

irrelevant

Wow, came home to a tool crisis, no tools (I'd had 7000 tools when I left home this morning) and 400 tool-less bannies. Good thing it didn't go on longer. Fortunately had 800 iron, turned on the 11 smiths and started overriding the tool auto-purchases. Took some time to get the merchies to bring iron, I had canceled all iron orders 2-3 centuries ago. Then the iron started arriving, and there wasn't room in the TPs to buy it, they were full of mushrooms!

That was exciting. Not sure what caused it though.

RedKetchup

yes a bannies can break down his tool and need another one...
but also, when a bannie die: tool get lost, a new baby born: need a tool
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 06, 2017, 09:25:31 PM
yes a bannies can break down his tool and need another one...
but also, when a bannie die: tool get lost, a new baby born: need a tool
Yes, but that had been happening for 1600 years already!  ;)

I believe what happened here was that the pop curve changing resulted in a slightly higher consumption of tools than had previously been the case. My auto-purchases were still set up for what was needed before I built the last schools. Tool consumption hadn't really seemed to change all that much, but when you are running unattended for 11 hours at a time, even a slight downward trend in some commodity can reach zero before you discover it.

Right now running unattended from 7:30 this morning until 2:30 tomorrow afternoon (31 hours). Did I get the tools back under control? We'll find out  ;)

irrelevant

Year 1705

Ran out of iron, and the barns are full of leather, wool, tools, and coats. A few unfilled professions, and less logs and food than I would like to have, but no big problems after 34.5 hours unattended.

Pop curve is settling down nicely.

This is a nice little town here in the attachment. Quite self-sufficient with its TP and market, two choppers near the port, two breweries on the market. And surrounded by farms to feed it.

The swath of fields to the left of the market is a pretty good example of my approach to farming. Housing and storage adjacent to every field.

Gopher Prairie has 14 little towns like this. Fun to tinker with.

irrelevant

Not sure where this hunter is finding his deer, but certainly demonstrates that a hunting cabin doesn't need to be in the woods to be a decent producer!

irrelevant

Year 1763 - Guess this new asymmetrical pop curve is the new normal. Keeps repeating those two peak/valley combos.

I think if I had enough schools that would regulate it. But I have no idea how many "enough" might be, and finding out seems like more work than I care to do.

brads3

you did smoothe it out. i can't imagine playing a map that long. would seem to be boring after it was built so far.

irrelevant

@brads3 Well, there's lots of tinkering, it's interesting. Plus most of the time, it's just running by itself.

Built 7 more schools in "underserved" areas. Let's see what that does.

irrelevant

Year 1807

Pop curve still has not settled down. Took batches of nomads (71 and 98) near the bottom of the past two cycles, to avoid running out of laborers and to try to change my demographic mix, hoping to change the curve in a positive way. Just grasping at straws here.

If anyone is interested in poking around this ant farm, I am attaching the latest save. Note that you probably will need to have some mods as shown in the first image, and should you upload this town, you could possibly get achievements (or not, not really sure).

Who knows, you might not need the mods. @RedKetchup what do you think? Smaller Vendor Buildings for sure I'd say, I have three of the small Farm Stands built. Don't know about the others.

If you do download it and if it doesn't crash, you should be able to just let it run as long as you like without managing anything.

irrelevant

Who was it who said, "no matter what your problem is, nomads are almost never going to be the solution.?"

Oh, yeah; that was me. ;D

irrelevant

Year 1833

Interesting, the most recent trough was pretty similar to the two previous ones, both of which were altered by taking the nomads. Sure would be nice if this would continue.

You can see in the professions panel the extent of job loss at the bottom, I'm 26 professionals short. I could live with that easily enough by short-staffing some gatherers, foresters, and fishers, or maybe close down a few more farms.

If not, I've thought of a couple more things I can try. I could go on a house-building program, build 20-30 new houses, which would give me a larger laborer pool. Or I could shut down all the excess houses at the next bottom (about 100 houses), and gradually recover them back into use over 10-20 years, the same number each year. This would slow the curve on the upswing, probably make it not climb so high, and possibly flatten out the wave significantly.   

irrelevant

Year 1878

Will the pop curve behave, or will it drop thru the floor? The suspense!  :)