News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Best way to get screen shots?

Started by Mmdrgtobldrgn, January 10, 2015, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Feeling a tad clueless, after being spoiled by decades of nicely labeled "screenshot" folders in easy to find locations. :-[

How does a non-steam user get game pictures? I tried clicking on the in-game camera, but can't find any screenshots? Will I need to print screen and paste into gimp/paint each time or is there another way?

Pointers, links, instructions all appreciated.
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

irrelevant

I just hit PrtScn, and then paste into Paint.

RedKetchup

I just hit PrtScn and it saves the .bmp in : documents > Banished > Screenshots folders
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

With the default setup, PrtScn will save a screen shot without all of the little UI windows, and ScrLk will take a screenshot with the UI still showing.

My screenshots are being saved in the same folder as what @RedKetchup mentioned.

A Nonny Moose

PrtSc snaps the screen as a *.png to a temporary which can then be saved as whatever you like, where ever you like.  Linux feature.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 11, 2015, 12:02:52 AM
I just hit PrtScn and it saves the .bmp in : documents > Banished > Screenshots folders

Do I have to create the folder, for it to save them there?  and if it matters I run on a dell inspiron with win 7 that's about 4 +/- years old, game version 1.0.4 64 bit. Currently my Banished folder only has the 'saves' folder in it.

Like I said I'm spoiled as in every other game I've played and taken screens of it has always had the screenshots folder in place even before starting the first game.
~ Mama Dragon

salamander

When I started making screenshots, I don't recall having to make the folder ... I think it's made for you the first time you take one.

A Nonny Moose

Linux users: One thing I forgot to mention, if you are running "full screen" your system may hang.  Running without full screen on, I still get my control bar, and this seems to make all the difference.  You still run in most of your screen.  See:

This is just a quick start up for this illustration.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Thank you everyone, it worked .... not sure I liked the 10-15 seconds of lag and black screen, but given I've dealt with buggy sims for 15 years I think I'll deal with the lag.

~ Mama Dragon

Paeng

If you want (or need) to tweak it more to your preferences, go into the "Options", under the Tab "Input" you can set your own KeyBindings to make screenshots with UI or without UI... I forgot what the default bindings are (F9 and F10 or such) but remember that they interfere with other standard bindings (among them Steam)... anyway, here you can define any two neutral shortcuts that work for you (for myself I use F12 - No UI and F11 - with UI)...

As has been mentioned, the shots are saved in Documents > Banished > Screenshots (parallel to Saves), though I remember reports where people needed to create the directory Screenshots on their own (at least initially).

hth  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Gatherer

@Mmdrgtobldrgn

Could you please post the number of map seed and starting conditions?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Quote from: Gatherer on January 15, 2015, 12:12:34 AM
@Mmdrgtobldrgn

Could you please post the number of map seed and starting conditions?

Map in the above pic, I think I typed in 777 out of curiosity having seen it mentioned several times on the boards. Starting conditions: large valley, weather fair, disasters on, hard start.
~ Mama Dragon

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

realm174

Now, if only the screenshots were actually square, one could do a collage of multiple screenshots and end up with one large picture... I tried, but lining them up properly just isn't happening...

Paeng

Indeed... not being able to make mosaics is horrible (at least to those who like to make City Journals)...  :'(
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]